Monday, October 1, 2007

My Sappy Mom and Me

It's ironic that Julie posted about being particularly emotional with her pregnancy. Because I experienced something so funny this weekend. And I would certainly fit into the "silly" category she mentioned about being emotional and crying easily. Not all the time, but this weekend, yes. So, Saturday, I'm sitting at home watching the movie Baby Boom. It's a movie that's been around for years, so I have seen it mulitiple times. Well, I figured I would watch it again this weekend, seeing as it was on TV. Well, the little girl in the movie looks suprisingly like my niece Desiree (the baby in the movie is younger than Desiree is now, but still, the resemblance is there). Anyway, so the part where Dianne Keaton's character is about to put the little 15-month old girl up for adoption (because she has just "inherited" the little girl from a distant relative who passed away, and Dianne Keaton's character is a New York business woman who knows nothing about children) comes up. And I'm just sitting there with tears running down my face. And I'm literally saying to myself (out loud), "Hila, stop being stupid". And yet somehow, I can't. I mean, I have SEEN this movie numerous times. I know Dianne Keaton does not even make it out of the building before turning back to get the little girl. But there I sat anyway, with tears running down my cheeks. So, I finally reign in my emotions and get through the rest of the movie. Until the end... Dianne Keaton has moved to a huge farm in Vermont and started her own (successful) baby food business. Her old NY company wants to buy her out and offers her this "chance-of-a-lifetime" deal. She almost sells, but then doesn't, because she realizes the wholeness she has found as this little girl's mother and with having her business as it is and having the freedoms she has found in Vermont. So, she turns down the deal. She returns home after a day back in the big city and sneaks into her living room where Elizabeth (the little girl) is patiently playing with her toys (she had a baby-sitter), waiting for her mom to come home. So, Dianne Keaton walks into the living room and calls out quietly, "Elizabeth." And Elizabeth turns, sees her, and says, "Mama!" Okay, so, sap that I am, I'm sitting there on the couch with tears running down my face again. What is wrong with me? I can't even blame it on pregnancy, like Julie can. So, I will blame it on genetics...

I can clearly picture in my mind many years ago, watching ANY movie that might have a sad, sappy, or poignant scene, and all three of us (Brad, Christina, and I) would look at my mom to see if she was crying (because we knew from experience that the chances were high that she would be). And, inevitably, she would be crying. And she would laugh when she saw us looking at her. And yes, I am sorry to admit, we laughed at her. Well, who's laughing now? Well, it ain't me... I'm going to be crying right along with her. I used to think it was some kind of hormone that comes after having kids that causes this... Apparently not. Oh, and those movie people are really good at playing on emotions too... It doesn't help that the music in the background during both of these sappy moments was the type of music that is very emotional and powerful and poignant. So, they nicely guide you to your sap-filled, tear-filled moment.

I think I need to buy this movie. Apparently, it's a good one to have on-hand for a day when I need a good cry, like Steel Magnolias.

No comments: