Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Music and Cockroaches

Okay, what should we discuss first? The music, or the cockroaches? Well, I'll give you a link to a song first, that way you can listen to it (if you open it in another window) while reading about the cockroaches. So, I was watching "Scrubs" the other day. I really like the show, it is hilarious. I'm just sad to say that it has definitely gotten raunchy over the years, and so I probably shouldn't watch it. But anyway, I was watching one of the re-runs from last season and it is the episode where Elliott gets engaged to Keith. The show always has really awesome songs played in each episode, and the one I watched Friday had a song that sounded familiar, but I don't know why. It is a song I wanted to find, though, because I liked it. A lot. Anyway, that's the glory of things like youtube. You can type in what you think are the lyrics most likely to be the title and, magically, you can find something. So, here it is: Stolen. I think maybe I will start putting in a "song of the day" every once in a while :). Help you get a feel for what I like...

Okay, so cockroaches. Here's a memory for my kinda ex-Texas cousins. (They still claim Texas, but don't live there anymore). Back in 1990 (or thereabouts), my mom, Brad, Christina, and I went to visit them in Texas. One night, the kids all slept in the living room and stayed up after our moms went to bed. Who knows why, but we thought it would be great fun to each eat a spoonful of sugar. That sounds gross to me now, but I'm sure we had our reasons then. Maybe to help us stay up later? Anyway, so we didn't want to wake up the moms, so we didn't turn on the kitchen light. One of my cousins got out the sugar jar and we each proceeded to take a spoonful of sugar. I think I was one of the first ones to eat the sugar and leave the kitchen, because I know I was in the living room when I heard my cousin say, "Oh darn! The cockroach fell out of the sugar!" Now, before you have visions of germ infected sugar being ingested by 4 or 5 kids, let me just tell you this. For some reason, they kept a rubber cockroach in the sugar. It was a well-known fact. However, anyone not knowing that would have been shocked (as perhaps you all were) by my cousin's calm declaration that the cockroach had fallen out of the sugar. So, we found it and replaced it and put the sugar away. Did it help us stay up later? I don't remember. I do know, however, that sugar is messy. You never are able to not make a mess with sugar. So, do I think we got away with these shenanigans without our moms ever knowing about it? I doubt it. I am pretty sure that, the next morning, my aunt questioned us about the sugar all over the place. But at least we salvaged the cockroach :)!

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

fyi, our family now has two flies in the sugar bowl. when i find a cockaroach, they will be replaced.