Wednesday, October 17, 2007

...and I went laughing, all the way to Institute

Moving Day pictures
Just a couple of pictures of my apartment on moving day:

My (old) bedroom and living room.

Wal-Mart...always
Okay, so Wal-Mart...always... takes forever. I had given brief consideration to taking my photo disk in to get some more pictures copied (the 10 I tried to get last time didn't end up printing, which I found out only AFTER I killed an hour in the store trying to kill time and wait for them). But I figured there was no way I was going to spend an hour in Wal-Mart last night since I had Institute and wanted to have time to get home, unload groceries, and relax a little before class. But, inevitably, Wal-Mart took longer than anticipated. So I could have gotten those pictures developed after all. Oh well, I guess I will just wait until next payday.

Breaking the "Nilla Mold", and why I don't attempt it often
Okay, so while at said Wal-Mart, I thought, "wouldn't it be nice to make my bedroom smell nice and welcoming?" Stefanie has these nice smelling plug-ins throughout the apartment, so I thought I would try to pick one that would make my room smell nice too. Oh the choices on the crazy air freshener aisle. Being frugal, I took my time comparing prices and all that (some of these things were in neighborhood of $10, and I'm sorry, I'm just not going to pay that much for a little thing that makes my room smell good). I finally settle on AirWick scented oil. So, now to choose the oil. They had vanilla. And I was oh, so tempted. But I decided to break the "Nilla Mold" and go for something flowery. There was no way to smell these, so I had to go on name alone. So I thought, "Well, this purple lavender (and something) will probably be mild." So I bought it. Ugh. That thing stinks. (Not as bad as 'ew, stank') And it's strong. Well, I have plugged it in anyway, and will see if it is overpowering when I walk in my room tonight. I might just have to throw the oil away and try a new one (probably vanilla this time). I just hate to have wasted the money. And that is why I rarely attempt to break the "Nilla Mold." It usually doesn't end well :). That's why I like to "go with what I know." (And that would be vaNILLA, by the way).

...Priceless

One pink pair of size 9 Jelly Shoes....................... 13 dollars

Cost to "ghetto-wrap" them.................................. zero dollars

Postage to send them.............................................. 6 dollars

A cousin who saw them and thought of me..........
PRICELESS

Yes, those are jelly shoes on MY feet. So my cousin told me she'd sent me something I could consider a "housewarming" gift. As I began to open them last night, my first thought (when I got them unwrapped enough from the "ghetto-wrapping" -- her phrase, not mine --to tell that they were shoes) was, 'did she get me shower shoes because she knows I'm going to have a roommate and so thinks I'm going to have to share a shower??' But as I continued to unwrap, it suddenly dawned on me. These were jelly shoes. Oh me, oh my. You know I had to try them on. And they are a perfect fit. While I didn't wear them to Institute, I sure did go laughing all the way there. Kristin- this means we can both wear jelly shoes on our 80's day!!! So, thanks Elka!!! Seriously can't stop smiling. (oh, and after Institute, I put them on to take pictures and I walked around in them.... squish, squeesh, squeesh). So hilarious. How in this world did plastic shoes become so popular??? Only in the 80's... Oh, and while these heels don't have the customary wavy lines that are a trap for huge rocks that will forever remain wedged in the heel, they do have gaps that will probably do the same job :). I included a picture of the bottom, just so you could see :). Gotta love a cousin who'gets' your sense of humor :). Loveya Elka!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I have to go home now and take a picture of mine...only the left foot bc I can't get my right foot in them now. :)