Friday, October 26, 2007

With a Little Help from My Friends

It is truly amazing... I have been blessed with an abundance of truly wonderful friends (some who are also family-members) in my life. I don't make friendships with just anyone I happen to meet (acquaintances, yes... friends, no). But those friendships that I do form generally last. And I have been blessed so richly with great friends. People who care about me, and don't just say it, but actually mean it. Friends who have supported me when I needed it. Friends who have cautioned me when I needed it. Friends who have made me laugh when I needed it. And friends who tried not to cry right along with me when I needed someone strong. And friends to help get me through the little pinches of life :).

So, Tuesday night I left work (and with the dreary days we've had, -oh, we're on day 5 now- I was driving around with my headlights on), and noticed in the car in front of me's reflection that my driver's side headlight was out. GREAT. It's always something ;). So, I finally went and bought a bulb yesterday and thought they would install it for me at AutoZone. No such luck. So, I tried it myself when I got home. If someone had been watching me, they were probably getting a huge chuckle at my expense, because I had my tools out and was ready to take something apart... I mean, hey, I've just moved and learned how to take all sorts of things apart... it just seemed par for the course, since this is, after all, another piece of "man's work" :). Anyway, I couldn't even figure out how to take anything apart to get the headlight out (which seemed like the logical thing that needed to happen, at least from my standpoint). So, I called my friend Virginia from church. She's an engineering professor here at the university. Anyway, she called me back (I'd left a message asking her if she knew of a place I could take my car where they would install my headlight bulb) and said, "why don't I come and look at it, I've done it before." So she came over and we spent the next 20 minutes in the cold trying to figure it out... Okay, so I shouldn't use the word "we" since she did all the work :). But she was successful, and I learned how it was done (by the way, the only tool she used were her hands). Yeah, I'm a genius :). But how awesome of her to just drive over and do it for me and save me the money. Anyway, repayment (not that it was necessary) was home-made hot chocolate with almond extract... YUM. I love hot chocolate in cold weather.

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

ok if you ever make it the midatlantic states, you have to try wawa hot chocolate. they have these steamers (flavored milk) that you can add to the hot chocolate and it is absolutely fantastic! (fyi we're on day 3 of rain!)

Nilla said...

Do they have wawa in D.C.?

Jeni said...

Hila, I love your blog! I am learning so much about you, and you have an AMAZING talent for writing/sharing your thoughts in an interesting, fun-to-read way. I am so glad we're friends!