Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Done in by a Starburst

Well, for someone who once said that my life isn't particularly prone to major changes and events, I have certainly had a tumultuous month!!

So, one of the ladies here at work brought a bunch of Halloween candy up here. Some of which were Starbursts. So I decided to have a couple of them... I love chewey candy. So, I'm sitting here, chewing on my strawberry starburst when I feel something weird. And I have the distinct impression that something has come undone in my mouth. So I move my tongue over to the teeth which I had been using to chew the starburst. And sure enough, my crown on my right molar is missing. Ah!!! So I spit the whole wad of strawberry starburst into my hand and find my crown sitting there among the candy. At least I didn't bite down on it!!

Now, when I went to the dentist in July, I told the dental hygienist that I was concerned that that crown was coming away from the gums. She said that, no, the dark I was seeing was some kind of metal that they have layered under the white part of the crown. So, I was good with that explanation. Apparently my tooth wasn't. So, looks like I'll be going to the dentist tomorrow. They fit me in at 11. How crazy. I guess I will have to give up chewey candy. Which is a tragedy for me. But I would rather not chance this again. The good news is that the receptionist lady said this should not be charged to me or my insurance, because I'm not having a new crown, just having them replace the old one, which shouldn't take long. Here's to hoping. Just thought I'd share this episode :).

Oh, coincidentally, this is not the only time I've witnessed (or experienced) a starburst being someone's demise... When I was a sophomore in high school, I sat the lunch table with a bunch of guys. One day, Clark had tropical starbursts, and he didn't like the green ones, so he was giving one to everyone at the table. He had an extra and asked if anyone wanted it. So this kid Nathan says he wants it. Clark throws it down the table to Nathan, but Nathan's friend Bob caught it and started laughing. Well apparently this was a huge deal to Nathan (he really wanted that Starburst), because he punched Bob in the eye. Bob was like, "I was just kidding man..." and gave the Starburst back. Everyone at the table just kind had that gaping look of shock and awe on their faces. I finally spoke up and said something, and because one of the lunch monitors had seen the exchange, both Bob and Nathan had to go to the office. But seriously... over a green starburst... You can ask Brad. He was there too.

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

you've inspired me to give up Starburst! That's all I need! Still absolutely love your blog. sadly, it's the highlight of my day. i think my life is much like yours, non roller coaster like. honestly, i prefer it that way. it's nice to get excited over little things like a new blog entry!