Monday, October 1, 2007

Notes on Eviction

So, how can I not splurge on all things 80s, given my penchant for the decade? And alas, my love for 80s memorabilia has cost me dearly. Because I bought so much of it, I could not afford rent and am now being evicted. I tried to offer the Unversity (my landlord) some jelly shoes, a Jem lunchbox and an assortment of 80s toys from She-Ra to Stretch Amstrong to the Donnie Wahlberg doll (from New Kids on the Block), but to no avail. They said those things weren't worth the money I owed them in rent. And so they evicted me!!! Can you believe it?

Okay, so that's not entirely true. Yes, I am being evicted. However, it is by no fault of my own. So any of you who were about to believe the above paragraph was an accurate depiction of my spending-habits, SHAME ON YOU!! :).

So, here's the story: The University is purchasing the Jewish Community's Hillel House here on campus. Why? Because the University wants to build another parking deck and more condos next to the football stadium. So, the Jewish Community wants to rebuild their Hillel House, naturally. So the University is selling them the property that currently has my aparment complex on it. So, we were given official notice yesterday that we have until December 16 to vacate the apartments. Yay. It is annoying to have to pack up and move, especially when I hope to move in less than a year when I'm done with my degree here. But, I am left without a choice. But, I have been blessed. A friend at church had a roommate who moved to Salt Lake City and so the girl who went to Salt Lake was trying to get out of her lease and the girl who is still here was worried about how she was going to meet the utility bill by herself. So, it worked out that I am taking over the one girl's lease. I just got back to work from dealing with all of this. So it is official, I am not homeless. And I will still be in a safe place. Now I just have to get the University to not charge me for the whole month of October, since I'll be moving mid-month. All in all, though, I have once again witnessed how Heavenly Father really does order all things for our good when we strive to keep His commandments and live worthily. I have been blessed. The next two weeks will be a nightmare with moving, but I know that it will all be okay.

P.S.. I want to thank my cousin for giving me the idea to start out my "eviction blog" the way I did :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a place already lined up to move to. Although I don't envy you, moving stinks! Let me know if you need any help.

BTW, when I was in kindergarten (and my sister in 1st grade) I had a Wuzzles lunchbox and my sister had a She-Ra one. :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

the only thing i can say about my brilliance is good genetic make up. it's a good thing we share the genes! good luck moving. i'll be following in a couple months!