Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nilla-isms

Well, hello all :). I decided to wait until after my class to post. You never know when there will be some excitement in class. So, I got to meet with the professor and she is so super-nice in person and outside of class. Which makes me feel really bad about how much I dislike her teaching and her class. So, I have a semi-new topic and I have about 4 weeks to get the thing done again. Hopefully I will be more successful this time.

So last night I went to Institute. Irony of ironies (given the extensive descriptions of some of my recent dreams in yesterday's post), we talked about dreams and the Book of Daniel. We covered pretty much all of Daniel (though, because time ran out, we didn't get as in-depth toward the end as we were in the beginning). What is interesting to me is that the prophecies and visions in Daniel span over 3000 years... He saw things pertaining to the fall of the Babylonian Empire 500 years before Christ, but then he also saw things pertaining to the last days. That's pretty awesome, if you ask me. Have I mentioned before that I love Institute :)? I really enjoy how much I learn there.

So, in the interest of the popularity of my new poll of supper versus dinner (and all the commentary that has gone along with it on this blog post), I decided to add some Nilla-isms for you. Of course, some of these are actually -isms from my family as a whole. They are just how things were said. But some of them I did all by myself :).
  • Nissan (pronounced as though it rhymes with "Miss Anne") -- okay, so this is always how my family pronounced that type of car. We owned a Nissan Patrol for a few years in Panama. I see nothing wrong with this pronunciation, since, in the English language, the "i" never makes the "ee" sound. And I don't care what the Japanese commercials say... :). If it was "Neesahn," it would be spelled that way ;).
  • upstairs/downstairs house -- okay, so not the most educated-sounding description of a two-story house. But isn't it much more illustrative of what the house is? I mean, if you're describing a house with two floors to a child, wouldn't it help the child picture it better if he or she heard the term "upstairs/downstairs"??? Otherwise they might picture two books! (And no, it doesn't matter that the first time I used this term, I was speaking to an adult, Julie) :).
  • dish up -- this means to put food on your plate. I have no other explanation. It was always said in my parents' house. It continues to be a part of my vocabulary.
  • build a puzzle -- yep, BUILD. I have no problem with this, do you? This was another phrase we used (a lot) in my family. I never knew it was so funny until Julie laughed at me for it. And every time she hears me say it, she corrects me. But isn't it so much easier to say "build a puzzle" than "put together a puzzle"? :)
Okay, honestly, there are probably others. But that's all I've got. But I invite you to remind me of some if you think of any I've said in the past. And I invite you to leave comments with your own -isms. Because, just like with dinner vs. supper, a lot of things are cultural or just simply what we grew up with ;). Oh, but please nobody admit to using "mash" as in "mash a button". That's just wrong on all fronts ;).

Oh, and by the way... "Eet's a rrrrace ... and [we're] weenning!"

Oh yeah, and so I have a burning question.... I can't seem to remember the answer... Do any of you remember the name of the event that is usually held the night before a wedding when the wedding party practices for the upcoming wedding?? It's usually held in the evening and there's usually food there. I just can't seem to remember the name of it!!! Please help me figure it out by leaving me a comment.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rehearsal supper. Anne

Katherine Ronachert said...

rehearsal dinner.

Nilla said...

I have to say this just cracks me up ;). I won't be adding any more 'clever' things of this nature, but I really couldn't resist with the whole rehearsal dinner thing ;).

Nilla said...

Well, I thought of another Nilla-ism, but I figured I'd put it in the comments instead of adding it to the blog post...

onyx -- I have since corrected this, and no longer do it, but I always thought it was prounounced like "oinks". No, it's not funny ;)!!!

Oh, and you should ask Julie about my discussion with her about segue verses segue-way... (I always thought "segue" was pronounced "seg"... I'm telling you, it's because the English language dictates that segue is not pronounced seg'way'... )

Okay, there's two more for you to laugh at.

Katherine Ronachert said...

i say "ish" for my timetable. ie dinner time is 5:30ish. ;) this way i have an excuse to be late!

Kristin said...

Ok. I thought I was the only person round here that made up weird words. Looks like anne and elka answered your question on the wedding. On the upstairs/downstairs thing...Brandon says he wants and "Upstairs" House. we would have lots more room he said. Also on that have you ever read "Nana upsairs, Nana downsatirs (De Paola) Makes perfect sense. Everyone remember my word "Nastyfied" yeah you use that word a lot working in a public library. All I am gonna say is Livingston. For those of you who don't get that, your lucky. There is another word we used growin up and that is the "dip in your lip". hehe. My sis and I still use that one. Oh and your forhead is your headboard. I came up with that one when I was 2ish.

Nilla said...

That's great, Kristin ;). That Brandon is one smart kid -- he knows what he's talking about! (Especially the upstairs house part :)).

Katherine Ronachert said...

nkotb fans:
http://omg.yahoo.com/new-kids-on-the-block-then-and-now/photos/1615#id=2

Nilla said...

Can there be any greater news!?! (Yes, I'm sure there can be.... but not by much!) :) :)... NKOTB rules! Woohoo! (And not for nothing, but years later, it seems I was better off "having" Jonathan as "my" man since he looks better than Jordan... Haha... :).

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the ambiance of this rehearsal supper. :)

Nilla said...

Pronounced "aw-mbi-aw-nce". For the record.

Kira =] said...

"build a puzzle" all I think of is Napoleon Dynamite-"I'm going to build her a cake." lol
My MIL says wash like warsh this includes saying Warshington DC. I don't know why, but both she and Papa Joe do it. Drives me NUTS!!!
I used to say vinyl like vinil until Mom corrected me. And I'm sorry, but your Onyx/oinks is hilarious! =]

Nilla said...

Haha!!! I never thought of that "build her a cake" comment on Napoleon Dynamite! But I remember it now!! Too funny :). Thanks for the connection, Kira!