Thursday, April 24, 2008

No Teeth Allowed

Well I am successfully on my way to renewing my pasaporte (that's espanol, by the way). I have the application. I even have the photos. Now there's a story. So I go to the courthouse here, go through the metal detector thing -- kind of reminiscent of the airport, but it has less people. Oh, and I don't get frisked for being a "secondary female". Anyway, they look at my passport upstairs. Did you know I have an official passport? Mine is burgundy. How cool is that? I will be trading burgundy for blue, though, as I am no longer travelling on "official business" as I once was when my dad was civil service. Darn. I wonder if it's more of a hassle to get through customs with a blue one? I guess I'll find out. Anyway, so they told me to come back with the things I need. The only thing I didn't have at the time was my photo. So I went straight over to FedEx/Kinko's (they recommended this because they said sometimes CVS and Walgreens don't take them well enough and they are therefore unusable). I got my pictures in mere minutes. But check this out. The dude tells me I'm not allowed to show my teeth in my smile! Is this a lie? It doesn't matter now, as I have already complied with the ridiculous maybe-rule (it has yet to be verified, so he might have just been handing me a line). Let me just say that, compared with my new picture, Stefanie is right -- I do look like a model in the old picture. But only in comparison to the new one. It is horrible! I couldn't show my teeth in my smile! I look like a total dork! And that will plague me for the whole 10 years I have my passport! Oh well. As long as I get one, and as long as they let me into the countries into which I wish to go, I don't care. Trust me, I don't look like a threat in my photo. I look like a dweeb. So, once I had my pictures, my next step was to fill out the application. I totally could have had it done in time. But there were two things I didn't remember, and if I don't find out soon where my mom was born (what city), I won't be able to turn it in on Friday. But they told me it should take about 4 weeks. So yay. And I'm seriously hoping it only costs $100 since that's what I've been planning on. Amber said hers cost her over $200. And since she needed to get hers expedited at the end, which cost her an extra $100, she says hers cost her a total of over $300. I really don't want to pay that much.

Oh, in other trip news... I informed my dad that I have already started making a list of where I want to go. He told me, "Well, you make your list. But I have to go to Boquete to check on that land for a couple of days." So, I'm thinking I have a driver's license now. And I'm old enough to drive the rental car (ah..... the perks of being old are few and far between. And they aren't even very exciting perks. But hey -- you take what you can get.), so I'm thinking I could just drop him off and leave :). (Okay, totally kidding here -- where would I go? We'd be about 6 hours away from anything I know, since we only went to Boquete and Volcan once when I lived there, and I was all of 12 -- around the time of my last passport, in fact). So anyway, perhaps my dad will humor me and let me accomplish at least the majority of the many items on my list. Good grief, I hope this all works out. Because I am totally psyched about it now.

I went and walked again at Shelby Park with some other Strive for Fivers. Annie was there this time. There were still only 5 of us, but we enjoyed it. Fact: Women in groups of 2 or more, even if they are strangers, can always have fabulous conversation. Translation: women can talk... a lot. Fact: I am a woman. Conclusion: I can talk... a lot. I spent the evening working on shool stuff (believe it or not). I didn't get very far on the literature review re-do, but I have found a few things. Yay. Of course, I will have to pay my $6.00 library fine in order to check out anything. Yes, you read that right. The librarian has a $6.00 library fine. And here's the kicker, it was so unintentional. Okay, I checked out 5 bound periodicals in an honest attempt to find material for that lit review. I found nothing in the 2 I looked in. Oh, and the bound periodicals can only be checked out by graduate students. And then, only for 5 days apparently. I thought I had a week. So, I had looked in 2 of them, found nothing, and returned them quickly. The other 3 really enjoyed the excitement of riding around in my back seat, so I figured I'd let them have their cheap thrills. Until last Wednesday when I thought they were due. So I dropped them in the box on the way in that morning. I got to my desk and had an over-due notice in my email! They were 2 days overdue!! What?!? I hadn't even had them a week by that point! But whatever. And why don't they send an overdue notice (if it's electronic) the DAY they are due, rather than wait? I mean, I've gotten reminder emails before for books. Why not these? Anyway, so I was like, "Well, it's okay. They are already in there and I'll just owe a little bit." Well, so I get to my desk Thursday and find an email announcing my fine. $6.00. Can you believe that? Bound periodicals are $1.00 per day per periodical??? Good grief. What a rip-off. I still haven't paid it. Perhaps I will be forced to. Or perhaps I can just use the book I need to use and skim it and annotate it while in class tonight... Hmmm... Beats paying the $6.00 at the moment. I will have to eventually, of course. They won't let me graduate otherwise. I still can't believe that though. $6.00. Yeesh. Such drama. Anyway, I did finish my abstract last night for our poster session. So all my group work is now pretty much done. Yippee!

And finally... I don't really know how my mind works. It's a mystery even to me. But I was on my way to work, and I hit a red light. I was in the left-turn lane. I hoped to get a green arrow. I did not. So I said to myself, "I wonder why I never get the green arrow at this light?" And then the phrase "Follow the yellow brick road!" popped into my head. Not from The Wizard of Oz. Although I know that is where it originated. This was from this old cartoon called "The Mad Scientist." Brad used to laugh at that part. I tried to find a sample of the cartoon on youtube, but was not successful. Anyway, I'm not sure why a green arrow led to a yellow brick road in my mind. But it did. I'm so random.

7 comments:

juliebean said...

that is so funny about the six dollars. I am excited about your trip. do you have dual citizenship?

Nilla said...

I don't have dual citizenship right now. But I can get it. I have to dig out the paperwork and go down to someplace in the city and prove I was born there. And, conveniently, my dad will be with me, so he can help me find it and speak fluent Spanish. Yay! So I think I will be getting the dual citizenship.

Katherine Ronachert said...

it's a good option. i mean, if you get fed up, you can up and leave!
:)
my curiosity was peaked when i read the topic. the government is so odd. no teeth? what happens if you don't have any to begin with? would they still have the same requirements?

Nilla said...

I guess if you have no teeth, you won't be tempted to show them when you smile. I had the hardest time NOT showing them. That's just not a normal way for me to smile. So my eyes look all big and buggy-like because I'm trying to remember to keep my lips sealed. "[My] lips [were] sealed!" Dang... I could have done a stinkin' song title post! That would have been fun. Oh well. Anyway, so yeah, the picture is a total winner, let me tell you.

The Silverback said...

Regarding women who walk and groups of more than 2 walkers and great conversation...One of these years you (and everyone else who is reading this blog) must walk in the 60 mile 3-day breast cancer walk. It is absolutely life changing. I walked last year with Elka (and I was 54 yrs old!) This year both EL and KA are participating; EL as ground crew and KA as a walker (again) and I am the babysitter for rj and rc. I wish I could better convey what it's like to participate in this event.

the happy thomas family said...

hey there... movie quote is from 13 going on 30. but, i don't know if you want to include me or not since kira told me. i had been pulling my hair out all week trying to figure out where i had heard that before... i mentioned it to her and she told me... i then had a huge "aha" moment. love - stacy

Katherine Ronachert said...

ok, so i am now laughing! i found the reason we are not allowed to show our teeth for passport pictures! the answer came in the form of one of my favorite tv shows the office. dwight (who is a weirdo, but so funny)said this:
"i never smile if i can help it. showing your teeth is a submission signal in primates. when someone smiles at me, all i see is a chimpanzee begging for it's life."