Tuesday, April 22, 2008

For Love of the Game

So my first instinct was to not blog today, since I really didn't have much to say. Imagine that! But then I remembered that I did that on Friday. Didn't want to do that to everyone twice! Haha... Other than irritation at no longer getting to leave early from work on Fridays after May 10 (that's a rant I could certainly tell, but it isn't worth it...), I don't have anything witty. So, I thought I would write this one, because one of my goals is to buy a certain game shortly. A lofty and oh-so-worthwhile "goal", no? At least I didn't add it to my list of things I want to do in my life ;).

Okay, the game I want to buy is Trivial Pursuit 80s Edition. Are you really surprised? I love the 80s! And I love trivia! So, why not smash the two together... And luckily for me, the makers of Trivial Pursuit have done just that! Too bad that's like a $40 game. Hmmm... Economic stimulus check... Hmmm... Responsible spending vs. purchasing a non-necessity... Hmmm... So many desicions. (Speaking of Trivial Pursuit... April and I are going to play TP Pop Culture this weekend. So that should be fun).

So, in addition to my love for the Trivial Pursuit games (a love that was cultivated before I was even 10 when we played with my parents and older brother, even though we (me, Brad, and Christina) really didn't contribute much to the team effort), these are some of the games I have loved to play over the years.


Candy Land -- Okay, who hasn't played this game? It's a classic! I've played it numerous times. Fun and educational! What better way to learn numbers and colors than to learn them while traipsing through candy land? Oh if only that was the way we learned them in school... I always wanted to "be" the pretty queen lady in the upper-right. I never wanted to "be" Grandma Nut. Funny the things you remember. Oh, and please note that Lord Licorice looks evil. That's because he's licorice. Yuck.



Battleship -- old school style. This was the exact version of the game we had growing up. Truthfully, my dad probably still has these in a closet somewhere. I know at least one of them, the top was broken off. But we played with it anyway :). I should play this again sometime soon.



Mall Madness -- Okay, if you were a girl in the 80s, you probably played this game. And you probably thought it was so awesome. I know I did. I loved when the voice called out, "Clearance at such-and-such a store." And we even got credit cards. Yep, it was a lesson for life. See, they prepare women early and teach them in the spring of youth how to shop properly :). Great stuff. I didn't own this game. My friend Cathleen did.



The Game of Life -- Get lucky in it. So, speaking of great lessons in life (like shopping). Was there ever anything better?!? I remember getting all excited about landing on lots of baby spaces. I think I often had two car-loads of people. And I remember that, when I would get "married," I would let the husband drive. Hahaha... I wonder why that is. It just seemed natural to put the pink peg in the passenger seat and put the newly added blue peg into the driver's seat. Oh, and we had this version of the game with the salaries on the cards. $100,000 was the most you could get. Christina didn't like it when she didn't get that salary. I liked getting the Victorian house with the wrap-around porch. I never wanted to get the split-level house that was literally split in half, like on an earthquake fault-line.



Scrabble -- only my family had a really fancy one. It was mounted on a turning thing and the top was plastic and held the tiles in place. Sweet. I need to play this one again too. I bet I could whoop some tail now. I bet I even have the capacity to make up some words and some pretty awesome definitions so that I would be believed... But that's cheating, so I wouldn't do that :). Right?!

So, there were tons of other games I played while growing up. My family had A LOT of board games. Among those that were not listed above were Sorry, Pictionary, Chess/Checkers, Monopoly (don't you love the quote of the day?). I'm sure there were others, but I can't think of them right now. But those are the ones we played the most, and those that have had the most lasting memories for me :).

So what games did you play growing up?

10 comments:

Kira =] said...

I have never played Candyland. *gasp* I know-the horror. =] We played Rummikub, Scattergories, Shoots & Ladders, Careers, Guess Who?, Clue-Master Detective, & Uno (alot). But we had to use at least 2 decks. How else do you play with 9 ppl? Tons of games because we had no tv. And our family favorite new game is Apples to Apples. It's seriously awesome! =]

Nilla said...

Oh yeah! Clue! Goodness, I forgot about that one. I liked Guess Who? also, but we never had it. I haven't played Apples to Apples yet, but I've heard it's fun. We also used to play Uno, and my mom taught us how to play Canasta. Rummikub and Scattergories were games of adulthood for me. I have a Rummikub set...

Kira =] said...

13 going on 30, first google that popped up. I cheated =]

juliebean said...

I used to love Sweet Valley High, the board game. Hi-Ho Cherry-O was pretty awesome. I can only remember the ones I played with alysha. My childhood memories are vague. Isn't that sad?

Nilla said...

You know, I think there is a chance I might have played the SVH game. I think Summer had it. Don't feel bad ;). I just have a mutant memory ;).

Katherine Ronachert said...

LOVED me some scrabble. my husband wouldn't play with me for the longest time because i actually played by the rules (you know challenging).
those are great games!

The Loden's said...

So I know this is a random comment from me but I really liked your post! So ever play operation?? with the little tweasers? Also now there is a new game called Ticket to ride. It is awesome you should come play with us and catch up!

Nilla said...

Joane -- I have never played Ticke to Ride, but my cousin keeps saying she lost at it... I have no idea what that game is even all about! But I do love games, so if you ever want extra company to play, give me a call :).

Mitchell4 said...

We would play rummikub sp? Brian says that I have strange rules so he doesn't like to play that one with me. I did a lot of Connect Four back in the day. Jennette would have mouse trap but I couldn't figure out how to put it together cuz there would be so many pieces. Ah good times.

Katherine Ronachert said...

thirteen going on thirty?