Monday, April 14, 2008

Fantastic Friends, Famous Fun, Flighty (and Fruitless) Flirting, Fabulous Food, and a Farcical Ferrous (Fe) Fanny

Okay, if you are already laughing and think my title is cutely clever, then that means you are at least as big a nerd as I am, if not more so.

If you aren't laughing at all and are trying to figure out what "ferrous (Fe)" is, then you are probably normal. I'll explain it so that you can join the ranks of the depraved and demented dorks (I'm not only the president, but I'm also a member!). Oh, and my apologies for those of you who did laugh at it, because I just called you depraved and demented ;). And a dork.

I love it when the things I know come together... See, originally I was trying to just do a lot of "Fs" because I'd already started on that route. And, conveniently, the word fanny exists and refers to a person's backside. Woohoo! Score for the English language! And so, as I was thinking and pondering over my clever (or not-so-clever, as the case may be) title, it popped into my mind that there was an atomic symbol that was Fe. I knew it was one of the weird ones... Not like oxygen, which has the atomic symbol O, or aluminum, whose symbol is Al... I was almost positive that Fe was the symbol for iron, but I wanted to make sure... So, I looked it up. And sure enough... Of course, Fe is not actually ferrous. Fe actually stands for ferrum (which is iron, but in another language). Ferrous has to do with iron, though. But it all works together well enough that I was laughing about it. What can I say? I'm a nerdy dork. And so are you, if you smiled about it ;).

The (in)famous iron buns
Consider yourself mooned by a ferrous fanny :).

So, follow that lovely picture link and view my fun weekend!

So, on Friday, I went to Friday Forum and we ate Jimmy Johns sandwiches for lunch. Afterward, I went to WinnDixie and bought a bunch of goodies that were on sale. I went home, packed up my backpack, and headed to April's. I talked to Christina on the way there. I left with perfect timing, because I was able to stay ahead of the storm. In fact, when I got off the interstate in Birmingham, I heard the tornado siren going off. It took me a second to figure out what the sound was. And when I did, I was not taking leisure-time to mosey on to April's. The sky was black, and ugly. I literally got in the door at April's, and 2 minutes later, the wind was howling, the rain was pouring, and hail was pinging off the door and windows. There are several pictures of the hail that came into the house when we opened the door to take pictures of the rain. There was a lot of hail. Hail, for those of you who don't know (and I didn't until I moved to Alabama) is not generally a good sign when there's a tornado watch in effect. The storm moved quickly, so that was good. And we didn't get the worst of the hail. I'd say the hail that was falling at April's was maybe quarter-sized. Some places on the news were reporting golf-ball sized hail. So, anyway, it's a good thing I left home when I did. Otherwise I'd have been driving in that mess.

After a good shower, April, Courtney, and I settled in to a delicious dinner of black olive pizza and salad as we watched a wonderful little chick-flick movie. The quote for this week is from that movie, so I won't say what the movie was :). Before the movie ended, I had to have one of April's delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Yumm-o. After the movie, we decided to eat the birthday brownies. Well, it was only April's birthday brownie. But Court and I couldn't not have a gourmet brownie too, so I got one for all three of us. They were very chocolatey. We decided to indulge in lots of sugar, so we ate our brownies while watching 2 episodes of "My So-Called Life." Sugar, indeed. (If you've already seen the pictures, you know where this is going). April and I puckered up to Jordan Catalano. What can we say? We heart Jordan Catalano... Except when he opens his mouth. He's dumb as dirt (and yes, I know he's just a character). What can I say? I am attracted to a man's mind as much as anything... So anyway, Courtney wanted a picture of her hugging the screen. She isn't as crazy as her mother and her mother's friend (ie me). I still can't believe we did that. And Courtney took forever to take the pictures, so April and I were trying so hard not to laugh. And our faces were hurting. That Jordan Catalano is one lucky guy... Haha!

After watching an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Scrubs," it was time for me to turn in. I was exhausted. I fell right to sleep. Oh yeah, Friday was hot in Alabama. Ick. But, due to the weather we'd had, the weekend was predicted to be chilly.

Saturday started out very lazy. I had taken cinnamon rolls, so we baked those up and ate them for breakfast. While watching another episode of "My So-Called Life." Let's just say we didn't actually eat breakfast until about 11. But that's because April and I were discussing school stuff. We headed to Vulcan around 12:30ish. It was a beautiful day. There was a bit of chill in the air, but nothing too bad. I think the pictures of Vulcan mostly speak for themselves. He really does have big iron buns. And they have a postcard at the gift shop (and I now have one at my house) of just his buns... It was very windy, and we really felt the wind when we went up to the observation tower. Oh, and, once again, AAA came in handy, since we got a discount on our tickets since I'm a member of AAA. Yay! Oh, and we each got a free water bottle, because some guy was doing a book expo and they just handed out the water bottle to us as we were walking up, even though we didn't go to the expo. I swear I have about 50 water bottles... After we left Vulcan, we went back to April's and ate sandwiches for lunch. While watching another episode of "My So-Called Life." You know what occurred to me? For as awful as that show probably was in the minds of some parents (including my own), there is not any cussing. You can't even say that about shows that aren't on MTV now... That's kind of sad. Anyway, I left April's around 3:30 and headed home. I had to go to Wal-Mart to finish the rest of my grocery shopping, so I did that on Saturday evening. Then I treated myself to some Popeye's for dinner, finished up my state taxes, and then watched The Terminal with Stefanie and Pace. I went to bed at about 1, and got up for church.

We only had four children in nursery on Sunday. So, it was a very quiet day. In fact, for the second hour of nursery, the adults out-numbered the kids! But it was nice. The kids are so sweet. After church I ate lunch and then got ready to head over to Jeni's to do some visiting teaching. We only ended up getting to visit one sister, but it was a good afternoon. And then Jeni had invited me to stay for dinner, which was a chicken broccoli casserole. It was very good. And then we had Edy's loaded chocolate brownie ice cream (which I had brought). I hung out at Jeni's until about 7:45, then headed home and got a shower. I talked to Julie for a few minutes. I had to make sure she hadn't gone into labor ;). I told her I had had a dream about her the previous night that she'd had the baby, and I was one of the last people to know! In the dream, they'd still named the baby Shayla, but instead of spelling the middle name Kathryn (which is what they are planning), they spelled it "Katherine." I could see it written out in the dream, and I noticed it in the dream, because I knew they were going to spell it different. I have a weird dreaming mind. Anyway, later I found myself digging through my box with my scrapbook stuff in it, as well as a bunch of memorablia (I should probably just label the thing memorabilia, but since it's clear plastic, I can see what's in it), and I came across a bunch of stuff. A bunch. Funny the things you forget you have. I found a letter my AP English teacher from 12th grade wrote to my mom about me. It was such a nice letter! Anyway, then it was off to bed for the Nilla Wafer. And today, we wake up to do it all again.

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i laughed a good laugh. you are very clever!

The Silverback said...

Fe is Iron....and I didn't even have to look it up!

April said...

You are not kidding...you got to my house in the nick of time. Literally stepping through the door right before the downpour (of rain and ice!). Man, all of those pictures turned out great! I like the 3rd one in the series of the three of us eating our brownies. Thanks again for bringing the bday brownies, they were delicious :) And in all of the Vulcan pictures the sky looks so pretty.

It was another successful girls' night!!! Lots of fun, as usual :)