Monday, April 28, 2008

La Vieja

That's me... It's official. I'm OLD. (Oh, and so "La vieja" means "the old woman" in Spanish).

On Saturday, April, Courtney, and I came to campus and part of what we decided to do was to climb some of the tree-climing trees (that's my term for them) on campus. They really are the kind of trees you just look at and picture climbing. Okay, so we didn't set out with these intentions, so April and I were totally unprepared and wearing flip flops. At least Courtney was wearing tennis shoes. So, you can't really climb a tree in flip flops. So I figure, "no big deal. I can do it bare foot." Oh my goodness! When did my feet become so delicate and tender?!? It hurt! I scraped skin off my foot! And I didn't make it very far up the tree either. It's kind of depressing. Then, on the second tree, I couldn't even get up in it! I had to hoist Courtney up into it. April offered to hoist me, but I declined. I'm a heifer. It wouldn't have been a fun experience for April. I remember a time when I could hoist Brad and Christina up an incredibly long-trunked Roseapple tree. I wonder if either of them scan still climb like in the old days... Man, when oh when did I get old? Also, I have noticed that I have lines at my eyes and around my mouth from smiling. I take great comfort in the Mark Twain quote, "Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles used to be." I guess the fact that I have so many wrinkles should make me feel good, since it means I have smiled a lot ;).

Oh, also. I turned in my application for my passport. Yay! And yes, it was verified by the woman at the passport office. She said they say that showing your teeth alters your facial features. Well, okay. All I know is that I look like a much dorkier version of me without showing my teeth than with showing them. So I'm thinking my picture is not accurate to me. So, if they want to come searching for me or something, they'll be looking for a total dweeb (based on my picture) and they'll totally overlook the hottie that is me. (I say this with all the sarcasm in the world! -- otherwise my brother might say I'm conceited).

So it turns out kids can get really attached to you. There is this cute-as-a-button little girl in nursery. She is almost 2. Yesterday I was the only "regular" person there -- as in, all my regular helpers weren't there. So we had fill-ins. Well, we have a set of twins, and they always have to use the bathroom during nursery. And since they are newly potty-trained, we make sure to rush them to the bathroom (and they always have to go within 5 minutes of each other, so when one says she has to go, we just take them both). Well, the little 2 year old girl likes to sit in laps. So when she came in yesterday, she came and sat in my lap. Well, when I had to take these twins to the bathroom, I picked the little girl up and said, "I'll be right back. I have to go take them to the potty." And I figured she'd go to the other person who was sitting on the floor and sit in her lap. But she didn't. She raced after me, crying and wanting me to pick her up. She wouldn't go to the other person. She refused. So, I ended up taking her with me too.

Anyway, I did have a good, fun-filled, fast-paced, exciting weekend. I didn't accomplish a lick of schoolwork. Sigh. But I did: work at the Temple, go to Wal-Mart, clean my room, cook food, lose at Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture :(, go to church, go to a wedding, and stay up until 1 a.m. two nights in a row (and one of them was last night).

4 comments:

juliebean said...

and the movie is Ghost busters

juliebean said...

OK, I am so excited about your trip to Panama. That is something you have been wanted to do for a while.

climbing tree, eh? I have to have help climbing off the couch. Must be nice.......

Katherine Ronachert said...

you still totally crack me up... i'm trying to see the genius behind taking your shoes off to climb the tree!

Mitchell4 said...

That's cool that you had a good weekend.
I don't think that your old Hila. You look to young to be old. Listen to Mark Twain. He's a smart man.