Monday, March 31, 2008

My Weekend

So Stefanie treated me to lunch on Friday at the Crimson Cafe. I'd never been there before. It was good. I got a Club Grinder, which is basically just a toasted sub sandwich. They put oil on the sandwich (and I mean it was dripping with oil), so that was annoying. And they didn't give me or Stefanie our pickle spears. A true tragedy. So I'll never know if their pickles were of the "not a good pickle" variety :). Haha... Okay, so it really wasn't that tragic. I just thought I'd mention it. But aside from the oil that was dripping off my sandwich, the taste was good and Stefanie and I had a good time visiting. Although I looked really rough. I'll tell you what... I don't understand how you can take pictures that look decent one day and then the next day you can look really really bad. Or even later on the same day that you took the decent picture, you can look bad in a picture. Of course, I've also had it happen where I've taken an ugly picture earlier in the day and then later on I like the way I look in the pictures I take later... What did we ever do without digital cameras that allow you to preview the pictures??? Not to mention the ease of being able to show pictures immediately to everyone else. So anyway, I look pretty bad in these pictures. The badness is ony magnified because Stefanie always looks sweet and cute. And so I look like an ogre. Stefanie, I'm never taking a picture with you again! (Okay, I'm kidding :)).And yeah, I said I was going to use photobucket if I had more than one picture to post. But that's kind of ridiculoous for this type of thing... Maybe when I'm posting a mass picture post where all the pictures are from the same thing...

Friday was payday, so I went to Wal-Mart. It really wasn't too bad. Sometimes Wal-Mart is a nightmare place to be... Especially on Fridays. Then I filled up my tank with gas (at $3.15... and I was proud to get that... What is wrong with the gas prices!!??!!). Then I got home, took a shower, and then went to Virginia's to pick her up, and we went to the Temple. I didn't get home until 11:20ish.

I had to come to school on Saturday to meet with my group for the Wednesday morning class. We met at 10:30. So, I got to sleep in. And sleep in is exactly what I did. I woke up around 9:30. The group meeting went well, and we seem to be well on our way to getting stuff accomplished. We only have about 4 more weeks of class, and I am so ready to be done! It seems that the closer to the end I get, the more I'm itchin' to be finished!!! I spent the rest of Saturday going to the public library and working on school stuff (which included reading more of the book, but I didn't get as far as I'd hoped I would). We had quite a good rain on Saturday evening, which was nice, since it washed away all the pollen on my car. Of course, that will just come back... I also talked to my mom for a long time, as well as Aunt Sue.

On Sunday I went to church, then Jill (my visiting teacher) came over after church. Then David and Ethan (my home teacher and his son) came by. Then I helped Stefanie deliver dinner to the missionaries. Then I made cupcakes for a YSA fireside (and luckily Stefanie was willing to make the frosting and frost them so I could get a shower). The fireside was good. It was about enduring to the end. Yep, sometimes that is the hardest part. After we got home, I talked to Christina briefly, talked to my dad for an hour, and talked to Brad for quite a while (some of it was in the afternoon, though).

So, here's a couple of funnies for you... Brad apparently bought the movie Follow that Bird from the $5 bin in Wal-Mart for his kids. It's about the Sesame Street characters. So he called and told me on Saturday about the very beginning of the movie where the Grouch Anthem is played. He told me to look it up on youtube. So I did. And so here it is for your enjoyment (because it really is funny):


My brother cracks me up!!! Brad tells me that the song has stuff about me. What!? So he clarifies for me... Apparently, because according to Brad, I'm so conceited, the part where Oscar says "something's wrong with everything except the way I sing," is like me because "Oscar thinks a lot of himself too." Okay, so Brad lost some coolness points with that one... Good thing I have to love him, since he's my brother ;).

And finally... This one is for Kristin... Although wikipedia (and, let's face it, are they not the authority on everything ;) -- spoken like a person who would give a librarian a heart-attack) explains quite clearly and concisely that dinner is "the main meal of the day, normally eaten in the evening, but occasionally at lunchtime," Kristin felt the need to prover her point by sending me this:
But I want you to notice, Kristin, that it's only occasionally a lunchtime meal. And the real irony is that it's still called lunchtime :). Not dinnertime :). Dinnertime is usually in the evening :).

I do believe I have some of the greatest people ever in my life!!!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia's entry for supper states that "supper is the name for the evening meal ... ordinarily the last meal of the day." (e.g. The Last Supper)

I will be editing the Wikipedia entry for dinner, so it can educate the unwashed masses in the correct usage of the word.
:D

Also from the supper entry on Wikipedia, "[In the south], dinner can be used to describe the meal at around 11:00 a.m., while supper is used to denote the evening meal." (e.g. "Them high-falutin' Methodists beat us to the restaurant after church and caused us to eat dinner late, yer Majesty")

Nilla said...

I knew there was a valid reason why we librarians bash wikipedia :). It's because it contradicts itself! Haha... Still a useful tool if you know it's limitations, though. I just told Kristin I'd find a way to dispute the whole supper thing... And since I hadn't really given it any thought over the weekend, I had to scramble for something this morning... So, wikipedia it was... (because a quick google search retrieve it as it's first hit... I think it's a conspiracy...)

And for the record, it's "yer Mayuhjustee" (but you can just call me Nilla ;)).

Katherine Ronachert said...

but see the rest of the grand ole usa says dinner. :) but i too noticed that when i visited arkansas, they were talking "supper". weirdo's.
ha! ha! ha!
is anonymous my mom? did she really forget her password again?

Mitchell4 said...

Phew you had a busy weekend. I am glad that it went well even though you got jipped on the pickle. You sooo do not look like an ogre. You are gorgeous Hila. Thanks for the last email. You hit it right on the nose. I try and play it safe by keeping my mouth shut when it comes to secrets.

Kristin said...

In the south it is Breakfast, Lunch and supper. I live in the south and this is what it is called. But I did look it up in the dictionary and this is what it told me. This was taken from the merriam-webster dictionary. DO YOUR HOMEWORK HILA! :) well crap that will not work in the comment field. I guess I will have to blog ...maybe

Nilla said...

I so love the argument we have going about dinner vs. supper :). Maybe I should make a poll and see which one wins... I'm pretty sure supper will, because you supper people are cheaters and will vote more than once ;). Nah, I'm kidding. But based on my map, I think my viewers/blog-stalkers are more concentrated in the South, so I am thinking I'll get out-voted ;).

Katherine Ronachert said...

you can make it so they only can vote once...
i could call on my eastern peps to make a few votes...
lol
it is interesting the regional differences there are.

Nilla said...

Yeah, but if they have access to more than one computer, they can vote twice ;). Different IP addresses. Haha... Maybe I will do it for kicks.

Kristin said...

Ooooh and for those of us who have access to say.....err 80 computers. Oh we will win. The south shall win. hahaha! <-evil laugh. This has nothing to do with anything but I want some mint chocolate ice cream. That would be good for Lunch. However I do not get a lunch break today. ;( <-itchy eye. except that is the wrong eye

Nilla said...

Kristin -- you make me laugh. Especially the eye thing. I had to read it twice to get it :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh my goodness, we're going to have another civil war! you's guys lost the last one!!! (ha ha on eastern slang!)

Anonymous said...

In my house, SUPPER is the meal we eat each evening around 6! Anne

Nilla said...

Oh my gosh! I am seriously laughing my tail off! And hey, vote people! That's what I put it up there for!

Katherine Ronachert said...

From El
when I get hungry, no matter what time of day it is, I just yell "WOMEN!! WHERES MY FOOD !! I'M HUNGYRY!!"

Kristin said...

Oh it's on now you northern peoples!!!!!! Oh and I love your little vote thingy...You people suck.! I'll fix you and your crazy names for eating.How bout we call it grubbintime. Least we have grits down here.

Kristin said...

SUPPER

Nilla said...

Ummm... El... You might want to revise your statement; "women" should be "woman"... Or else you might be starting to miss a few appendages. If I know Ka, I don't think she'd think twice about it ;). Hahaha!!! Although, you might deserve a swift kick anyway... go get your own DINNER :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh so special the el is...
he's all sorts of tough on the computer...
;)
dinner.

Katherine Ronachert said...

http://www.englishforums.com/English/DinnerVsSupperVsLunch/bmjx/post.htm

clearly dinner is more universal to mean the evening meal and supper is more "snackish"

Katherine Ronachert said...

ironically, he is going to clep his english test today... i bet he passes!
or not.
do you see why there's no real reason to acknowledge his previous comment?
:)

Nilla said...

Food for thought -- you ever heard the phrase "formal supper"? Yeah, I didn't think so... "Formal DINNER" is more like it :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

it seems the last supper is the common example given. the last supper was the sacrament (bread and water/wine), not a meal.
dinner wins.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. "Supper Clubs" get together in the evenings and when a church has "Dinner on the Ground", it's usually around noon! I can't belive that out of everything you've written, this post has caused me to comment TWICE!!! I need to get a life. Or fix supper for the family! Anne

Nilla said...

But it sure has been fun, hasn't it :)? I feel so loved today! Woohoo!

April said...

Ok, 2 things....first of all "Follow that Bird" is awesome!!! I saw that movie a gazillion times growing up. A few years ago we watched it and couldn't get those songs out of our head. I bought that CD for Court for her bday that year so Jill and I would have an excuse to listen to the songs :)

And the second thing....I have always refered to the last meal of the day as dinner and the midday meal as lunch. I remember being confused when I was about 8 or 9 b/c I was reading a Little House on the Prairie book and they were calling the noon meal dinner and the last meal supper. So maybe it isn't so much of a northern/southern thing as it is an evolved change of terms.

And that is my two cents! :P

Kristin said...

ok so it looks like all the people livin in south Alabama agree it's supper and all you people living other places call it something else. I agree with anne and anonymous.