Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Drum Roll Please!

Okay, I usually try to wait until after my 9:00 class to post, because then I can include my Strive for Five success and/or failure. Today I'm expecting a failure, by the way. But what I'll do is just edit this later and record for sure what the results were. But I really have to post this, because it is great. I got my test back for this crazy class (the one I will be in at 9:00). Woo hoo! And my grade is... Drum roll please... a book!!! Yep, that's right. A book. Don't believe me? Well, I knew you wouldn't, so I brought proof (and you can even check my answers for clarity and understanding ;)):You see, my genius surpasses the traditional grading system of A, B, C, D, and F. When it comes to the Nilla, the mold is broken every time. I knew it was only a matter of time before the mold in grading would have to be broken, and a new form of grading would have to be developed to encompass and give credit to my brilliance.

Okay, are you done wading in that pile of you-know-what? Yeah, I thought so. That red book really is my grade though. At least for the moment. And according to the key she sent us, that red book translates into something (but not a grade!). Let me see if I can give you the key so you believe me :).

(Well, I had to print it out and take another picture for you, but I really wanted you guys to see this, and the meaning of the symbols).

I mean, I think I have a pretty good knack for fiction (remember, I hope to one day write a novel), but even I couldn't have made this stuff up. Okay, so I'm pretty thrilled that I got a book, which is the highest level she's willing to impart. But please notice that, even at the best "grade" (or symbol, however you want to see it), one still only has "pretty good understanding." Apparently having excellent understanding in this course is an impossibility (which doesn't acutally surprise me). However, I also noticed that there is "pretty good understanding" and then "good understanding." It seems to me that good understanding is better than pretty good understanding. Maybe she reversed those so that the eye is actually better? I don't really know. The rest of it seems to be in descending order... Anyway, we're going to discuss this in class today, so I will report on how it translates (obviously it's going to be a rough translation) into a grade or points. Ought to be interesting. And since I'm not entirely sure now that the book was the highest "grade" in the class, I won't continue to toot my own horn at this particular juncture in time. (Mostly I was going to point out that receiving such "good" grades when I have not actually read the material doesn't give me a whole lot of motivation to go out and read the material from here on out... I told you I'm a bad student). Oh yeah, and this was the professor's comments in the email that had the answer key: "We will discuss the grading system – which is somewhat creative – tomorrow in class". Now there's the understatement of the year!

And, in other excellent school news, it seems (although I have not gotten an official notice from the library school) that they have found someone to teach the technology class which I need to be able to graduate in August!!! Yay!!! One of the other students who was petitioning for the class got an email (under-the-table, if you will) from her advisor who imparted this information. And she forwarded that email on to those of us who want to know! Yay Yay Yay! (I feel like a cheerleader! Rah rah rah! Give me an H! (H) Give me an I! (I) Give me an L! (L)... Yeah, you get the idea :)).

Oh, and so Institute rocks! Elka rocks! Juliebean rocks! April rocks! Okay, so basically, all of you rock! There are too many to list, since I know you're all out there reading this :). But those are the people (and events) that applied to the rest of yesterday... It's Wednesday, which means I just have to get up early 2 more mornings this week, and then it's Spring Break! It's a beautiful day! (And I even thought I'd give you a song to apply that phrase to, so thanks U2!!! I like U2!). And who cares if the scale isn't my friend today? It'll change by next week :). Because it will WANT to be friends with the NILLA :). Okay, I'm done :). I'll report on the Strive for Five in a few hours :).

UPDATE:
Okay, so the verdict on Stive for Five: Yep, I gained another 1.4 pounds. But overall, I still maintained. And it's such a beautiful day, it doesn't even phase me :). Oh, and we got a lunch box sack with the university's name on it as our prize this time.

The verdict on the "grade"?: Just as unknown as before, except that she did say she sees that list as a hierarchy, so that means "pretty good" is better than "good." As for the rest of it... Sigh. Too much to really explain. Except I think I'm inching my way back into her good graces. Oh, and she's not going to assign "grades" per se to the symbols. And the question she asked was, "Do you really think any of this is going to damage you?" As in, do we really think these are going to count against us. So, I'm thinking she's using the test to gauge our understanding. Which, she told me in the hall when I went to ask her a question for our group, that I did really well on the test and she thanked me for bringing up the fact that I am an inside-of-the-box thinker (which is so very true). So yay!!! I'm so not stressing over this class anymore. Okay, that's it. I just wanted to fill you in :).

5 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

Congratulations! I decided that in honor of "the Nilla" I'd actually capitalize my letters for you! That is awesome news. Also, I too LOVE that U2 song!

Tarylyn said...

WOOHOOOOO \0/ totally cheering with you

Mrs. S said...

Congrats! That's a really weird way to grade though...wouldn't it be easier to just write what the book stood for? Maybe that's why I'd never make a good teacher. Or writer for that matter...I don't usually like to read into things...I just want someone to tell me what they think or mean. That's awesome news though!!!

Nilla said...

No, Mrs. S. That's why you'd make a good teacher :). Yes yes, we have all been structured by society to expect the traditional grading system. Well, you can't just up and change it on a person who has had oh, 18 years of schooling, and not expect some kind of adverse response!!! (And besides, they don't allow "books" to be factored into your GPA :)).

The Silverback said...

Congrats! The grading is interesting. Innovative.