Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Stormy Weather

Hey, that is a song title! See! But I'm talking about real stormy weather, not the figurative type :). I'll tell you what I remember about this song... Actually, I don't even like this song. I remember it being on one of the cartoons we watched as kids. I don't even remember what the cartoon was. But I have this mental image of two owls huddled together in a barn or something while it was pouring rain outside and this song was playing. It was probably one of the old Disney cartoons... we watched a lot of those.

We had really stormy weather last night. By the time I left school (it was about 7:00 when she let us go), the wind was already blowing really hard. It just continued to pick up as the night wore on, so I was glad I was home early and didn't have to go back out :). By the time 10:00 rolled around, it was really blowing. And by 11:00, the thunder and lightning had started... a lot! It's still wet and there's a pretty heavy misty rain outside. The temperature is supposed to drop dramatically throughout the day. It's just so weird. Yesterday the high was around 79 degrees. Today's high isn't supposed to get out of the 50s, and the low is 35! That's a big change!

In the good news arena, as far as school is concerned, I completed the literature review and have about 5 pages of my 18 to 20 page paper written. Here's hoping I can come up with at least 13 more pages! Also school-related... I am now reading my 3rd book for the medical horror genre. I'm on to Patricia Cornwell's Unnatural Causes in the Dr. Kay Scarpetta series. I used to read a lot of these. The main character is the chief medical examiner for Virginia, so it has a lot of forensics-type stuff. I kind of got out of the habit of reading Cornwell's books, because they weren't holding my interest as much anymore. This book doesn't make me reconsider my decision. I mean, it's okay. But it's not a real page-turner for the most part. Of course, her books are always wildly popular and are always on the best-seller lists. I'm just not as impressed with her anymore.

Oh yeah! And in class last night, we talked about visual aides for presentations such as transparencies. So, I get to make a transparency for next week! How wild is that??!! I'm going to have to figure out how to do this, but I'm not really too stressed over it. I mean, I know I can do it on the copy machines, but I have to get the transparency from somewhere to print onto it... Of course, I actually have some old transparencies I did way back when I was in 5th grade... Hmmm. Do you think she'd notice if I just recycled those :)? I know many of you are probably laughing at me having to make a transparency, since it seems so out-dated. But actually, Dr. Patrick, our Linear Algebra teacher for my undergraduate minor still used these! She'd write the math problems on them (we were doing a lot of matrices at the time) and she'd cover up the whole thing, and move the paper down line by line so we could only see what she had revealed on the overhead projector. It was great. See, that was just my speed, as far as math was concerned. I knew I wasn't going to be going any further in math than that. But for anyone who was going to need to go further, I'm sure they were hurt by that class. I mean, literally... We got to chapter 3, and we skipped chapter 2. And we were in that class for 16 weeks. We moved very slooooowly. Again, it was the perfect speed for me :). But others got hideously annoyed with it.

And finally, here's a picture that my Aunt Hila sent me. This was taken in 1989, and it is a picture of the 3 Hilas. My great-aunt Hila, my Aunt Hila, and me :)! My great-aunt Hila has since passed away (last year, actually). I didn't even know this picture existed until I went to New Jersey in December. My Aunt Hila told me about it and asked if I remembered it. And I hadn't remembered it. So it was wonderful of her to hunt his picture down and send me a copy :). Just a neat little thing, I think, to share my name with two aunts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't we beautiful!?! Maybe it goes along with the name...anyone with that name is a raving beauty. Empasis on "raving". LOL! Love from the middle H.

Katherine Ronachert said...

i think raving lunatic is more likely! ;) i still love the pic!

the happy thomas family said...

What a neat picture! My family is big on generational pictures as they are called... so we have lots of them. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

The Silverback said...

emphasis....I need spell check! Hila in the Middle.

Christina said...

The movie quote is from Pretty In Pink! Haha....I own it, I cheated. I think I have to agree with Mrs. KA of ELKA :) But you know I love you very much, & you being a raving lunatic runs in the family with the rest of us. Love ya.