Monday, March 3, 2008

Unbalanced

No, I'm not talking about myself... I'm a very well-balanced person ;). I have that perfect blend of charm, intelligence, and beauty. Ha!

I'm talking about the lack of balance in the week. I mean, what genius came up with the idea of 5 days of work and 2 days of weekend? Wouldn't 4 and 3 be a little bit more equal? And don't we all want and need equality? I say yes.... But nobody else (other than myself :)) thinks my opinion counts, so, I find myself, once again, at my desk this morning.

Well, it turns out I didn't even make it through the end of the movie I never finished watching last weekend... I had every intention of finishing up that movie, and then watching another one. But Stefanie's mom was up visiting, and so they invited me to eat dinner with them (Stefanie made some sort of taco salad that was very good), and then I ended up hanging out quite a bit with them and visiting with her mom. Stefanie also made some really delicious chocolate oatmeal pie. It looks like pecan pie, but it's not. I think the corn syrup is what makes it look that way... It seems that corn syrup separates itself out while baking... So if you've ever seen a pecan pie, you know what I mean... I did talk to Brad for a while on Saturday night.

On Sunday, I went to church. Oh, did I mention we've had lovely weather in Alabama the last couple of days? I'm talking short sleeves and flip flop weather :). If it would stay this way year-round, I'd be happy. So would my bank account, since my electric bill wouldn't be high... No need to run heat or air :). Anyway, so Sunday I went to church. After church I talked to Elka. She is hilarious. I also tried out a new recipe for Break the Fast. I made these cheeseburger mini muffins. Amber liked them, and I thought they were pretty decent. I did take a picture of them, but I did not put my camera with my stuff to grab this morning, so I'll post the picture and recipe tomorrow. I'll probably post it on lfr2008 too. I think it's a good little recipe to have on hand. Plus you can make them in the mini muffin tins (I baked them in the regular muffin tins) and make appetizers out of them. And you know how I love appetizers... After Break the Fast, we all watched the CES Fireside broadcast. Julie B. Beck was the speaker, and she always does an awesome job. So that was good. Then I went home, talked to Michelle (my SIL), April and my mom, and then I went to bed. So, I won't say it was a super-duper exciting weekend. But it was a pretty full weekend. And now I'm ready for another one :). Actually, I'm ready for a nice long break, and good thing Spring Break is coming!

Oh yeah, and my throat and ears itch!!! It's driving me nuts. I guess this is part of getting over the head cold I had on Thursday... Last night my nose was all stuffed-up and I sounded weird. So, this is going to make for a fun day... Of course, I should be thankful that this is as sick as I ever really get. I can count the number of times I've actually gotten sick in the last 17 years on one hand (and really, it only takes 2 fingers). And when I say sick, I'm talking about throwing up. See, I knew I had a memory lane story in me somewhere. Aren't you glad I'm sharing this one with you??? I can remember being sick when I was 10 and in 4th grade. I remember laying on the couch while everyone was eating dinner. For any family who might remember the layout of our living room in Panama, at this time, it was when the couch was under the a/c unit against the windows, and I was laying on my back with my feet closest to the dining area with the big sliding glass windows. (I know you all needed that detail :)). Anyway, that time is not one of the 2 times I am about to describe... The first one (since that 4th grade time) was plain stupidity on my part. It was a Tuesday in March 2004. I had worked that morning at HLML in Dothan, and then gone back to Ashford and worked in my little branch library that afternoon. I hadn't had time to really eat anything all day. Then, that night, I was going to go to the movie theatre to watch the Book of Mormon movie. The theatre agreed to play it for one night only, so I wanted to go. So, I (and my little Pinto) went to the movie. And I was hungry, so I treated myself to some popcorn and an orange soda. I didn't even eat all of the popcorn. I stopped eating when I got full. But on towards the end of the movie, I started feeling funny. I burped (not loudly... to myself), and felt better, and thought, "okay, that's all it was." Well, that was just a small respite. Because I felt it come back, and at that point, I was like, "Okay, this isn't going to go well." So, I actually got up and left the movie (about 10 minutes before it was supposed to end, I guess). I remember walking out of the theatre and feeling like I was in a dream world. Which, from past experience I know is how I start to feel before I pass out. Anyway, I was shaking and barely holding on to consciousness by the time I made it to the green Pony (my Pinto). I got in the car, and was thinking, "Maybe I should call Heath (we were married at the time) instead of driving." But then I thought, "No, that would take longer for him to come pick me up." Plus we were watching his sister while his mom was out of town, so he'd have to get her out to come get me too. So, I went ahead and got in the car. Well, that was the end of that.... I knew I needed to just throw up. So I leaned out of my car and puked up lots of orange. And popcorn. I've not eaten movie theatre popcorn since. Yuck. I don't know if it's because there was something wrong with the popcorn butter, or if my body wasn't used to that butter, or if my body was retaliating because I didn't eat anything called "food" and was instead making my body subsist on movie theatre popcorn and orange soda. Either way... I felt a ton better afterwards (although my leg was shaking so bad after that I could barely push in the clutch)... Oh yeah, and I took a curb too tight and totally ran up on it while getting back to the apartment complex. Oh, and I threw away those shoes I was wearing. Anyway, the other time I got sick was about 2 years ago now. I'm still not sure if it was the Greek salad I made (but I have associated that salad with getting sick, so it took me about 2 years to eat Greek salad again) or if I caught some little bug that was going around. I just know I felt pretty cruddy that night, and as we were getting ready for bed, I knew I'd better high-tail it to the bathroom. I felt better after I got sick, and hoped that was the end of it (like it was with the popcorn). Alas, it was not. I had to get sick again that night. And then, even though I went to work the next day, they told me I looked pale and sent me home. So, there you have it. The two times I got "sick-sick" in the past 17 years. I just don't get sick (should I find some wood on which to knock???). Somehow I expect that life will get it's revenge and I'll probably puke my guts out with morning sickness one day when I'm married and having babies... Won't that be fun?

You know, it occurs to me that I might be slightly unbalanced after all (but only slightly :)). I just wrote a lovely post about throwing up. I know, I know... It's why you all love the Nilla anyway :).

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

truly one of your more disgusting posts. but all in all, i still laughed. i will not be eating lunch anytime soon though.

Anonymous said...

So graphic! I can picture it all!! LOL. Love, Aunt H.

juliebean said...

ok i think u will understand that i totally skipped that post. In my condition, I do want to read, see or hear about puking. thanks so much.