Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bad Neighbors

Okay, so yikes... Our upstairs neighbors (the SS Duo (so named by Aunt Hila, that stands for Squeaky Springs duo)) are awful. Only last night it wasn't the squeaky springs... I was woken up by really loud yelling and fighting at 2:00 this morning. Really loud. And it sounded like there were three people up there, 2 guys and a girl. It was bad. In fact, it was bad enough that one of them (I think the woman) was yelling to call the police. And the police did show up. They knocked on the door for a long, long time. I know, because I could hear it. The cops kept saying, "Open up, we just want to talk with you." Needless to say, I walked out the door and propped up my door guard (which I don't use anymore, now that I don't live alone and it's not so scary). I stood there and listened for a while, and I could hear one guy was outside already and he was like, "I'm not drunk. I just want to get some sleep." The dude inside the apartment wouldn't answer the door and I think the police eventually had the apartment complex open the door and let them in. Either that or they left. Either way, I don't think an arrest was made. Is it crazy for me to have this (irrational?) fear that one of these nights it's going to escalate to a shooting and that the bullet could come through the floor and hit me? I don't know... I really have feared that.

Anyway, I had a pretty good afternoon yesterday. Well, mostly good. I went to the bank to cash the check Mom gave me to reimburse me for the airporter. Then I went to Institute's Friday Forum. Do you know that 1 out of every 100 Americans is in jail? How sad is that little statistic? That made the local newspaper yesterday, so we discussed it in our Friday Forum class while drinking soda, and eating Jimmy John's sandwiches. After that class, I went to my interview at the public library here. I was trying to do an internship. Well, that didn't pan out, because the director didn't feel she'd be able to train me the way she wanted to with me only working nights and weekends mainly (because I have to keep my full-time job). Plus, she didn't understand why I wanted to do an internship in the first place, since she'd requested my resume and saw all my public library experience. Well, I made up the little song and dance about wanting to get back into the groove of public librarianship, because I've been out of the loop for the past 4 years (which is not a lie). But really, I just want a nice and easy summer semester (hopefully my last sememster). Is that such a crime? Alas, it is not to be. Looks like I'll be taking Issues in Librarianship, which will probably be accompanied by another lame paper. Ugh. Anyway, after that, I went to get gas and I went and bought stamps for Julie's baby shower invitations. Leaving the post office, I could not see a car in the far lane and ended up scaring that woman so bad she ran off the road. Yikes. I felt bad. But, no accident occurred, so at least there's that. I guess I will not be pulling across 4 lanes of traffice ever again when there's a mail truck turning in and blocking my view... Seriously, I thought there was no one coming. I really still feel bad about it. Last night I worked a little bit more on my literature review for the crazy class. (I'm almost finished with it now, just have to come up with 3 more sources). And since I have ADD when it comes to school stuff... I gave up after about 2 hours of working on that and watched a movie I rented from the public library while I was there getting turned down for an internship. I just am not motivated as a student. Isn't that awful? Oh well....

Today I went to Wal-Mart, got my oil changed, didn't get shot overnight (which might be a huge accomplishment with the neighbors I have :)), bought myself Popeye's for lunch (I had a coupon and was craving it, and since I have worked so hard on my school stuff... I figured I deserved it :)). And then I came to campus to force myself to work on the rest of that literature review and also to try to print out the baby shower invitations. The good news is that I was successful in finding a color printer. Yay! The bad news is that I still have to locate 3 more sources for the lit review to have the required 15. And honestly, I'm not going to divulge how I have managed to get as much done as I did, because it will just add proof that I'm a lame student. Oh, okay, I'll tell you. So you don't think I cheated or anything ;). I just used a lot of what I did last semester for another paper. I go with the Rachael Ray philosophy of life.... Need it twice, chop it once. Well, in my case it would be "need it twice, write it once." :) :) :). Hey, it's not called resourceful for nothing!

And I'm off for home now (I'm still at campus). I think I will reward myself with another movie, since I have spent (read 'wasted') the last 4.5 hours of my life here... :).

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i think there is nothing wrong with double using sources. you did do the work. why sweat over it? watch two movies! i watched jaws last night. it still scares me.

juliebean said...

which is worse, the squeaking or the brawling? Sounds like they need to move out........

Nilla said...

Yes, I think they need to move out! As for what is worse... Probably the squeakies, since they happen more often (I think they were making up from their fight this morning... lovely). However, the brawling could be more hazardous to my health if it escalates! And Elka, I concur... nothing wrong with double-using sources ;).