Friday, January 11, 2008

Weather Woes and Other Stuff

So yesterday there was some pretty bad weather all around us. There were many several severe weather alerts, and I guess there were tornadoes spotted in some areas. There wasn't ever a tornado spotted here, though, because the siren never went off. However, because the worst weather was predicted to strike late in the evening, the school cancelled classes. My class, however, was online, and my professor is in Philadelphia for the ALA Midwinter Conference, and so she did not cancel our class until she HAD to at 5:00. So, I sat at work until 5:30, even though we were told we could go home and still get paid at 4:10. Because by the time I checked my email (which I had done repeatedly, but her emails kept saying that class was still a go) and found out that she had finally cancelled our class, it was 5:16... And what's the point in leaving then? I was rather irate. Yes, I know it didn't kill me to have to stay. But who doesn't want to take advantage of the very few times in which we are paid (without taking our own personal leave time) to not be at work ;)?

Well, I got home around 5:45 and then Stefanie and Pace got home and they were cooking quesadillas for dinner and invited me to eat with them. So I did. And then I studied scriptures, and then I talked to April so we could both rant about our classes. This is why it is especially fun to have a friend in the program. Haha... It turns out that April and I are in 2 classes together again this semester. And, coincidentally, it's the same two classes about which I have already complained on here :). I also talked to my mom (who said they had a tornado in South Washington, which is pretty much a rarity... the last one that happened was in 1972) and Christina. And that was my exciting life. I know it sounds like a thrill a minute :).

Okay, since I don't really have any exciting news, I do have some pictures. If nothing else, you can always count on me for that! So check out this comparison (and FYI, it is not the same person puckering up in both pictures... Just in case you couldn't tell):
How great is that??? The first one is Kristin (in 2000) pretending to kiss the picture (this guy was one of the directors of Houston Love Memorial Library... it was Mr. Houston). And Kristin was taking the second picture. You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Librarians have a lot of fun. We are not the tight-wad, bun-wearing, glasses-wearing, stern-faced shooshers that we are depicted to be ;). In fact, (although I don't have the picture to show here), back in July or August 2006, several of us that used to all work at HLML (and some still do) went out to Applebee's to eat, because Julie was getting ready to leave Dothan. So, it was Julie, Carol, Kristin, Nancy, Anne, and me. And we had the best time. And we laughed and reminisced. And at one point, when we all got quiet for a moment, we realized that we were the loudest group in all of Applebee's that night. We... the group of librarians... we were the loudest group. No joke.

Okay, and here's another one for fun:What a difference 11 years can make. One thing I can pretty much say for both of us is this: we are both a lot whiter. Haha!!! And, although I'm not accusing Elka of being this, when I said that about us being whiter, it made me think of that youtube video my cousin has on her blog for Weird Al's song "White and Nerdy." I know I'm pretty nerdy ;). Oh, and even though you can't REALLY tell... There is snow in that second picture. I got all excited about it when we walked out of the Banana Republic, so I insisted on taking a picture. You can kinda see a snowflake if you enlarge the picture. It's falling in front of Elka's jacket. Near her shoulder ;). Oh yeah, and in that first picture, I'm totally torturing Elka with my photo albums. Why I thought she would want to look through every picture I had, I have no idea. So, Elka, please allow me to apologize for torturing you 11 years ago. Now, at least, you can just skip over my panoply of pictures if they get to be too much on my blog ;). Back then, I was making sure you got the full explanation of each and every picture, I'm sure... Poor Elka. And for that matter, poor Mrs. S. It looks like she was stuck looking at my pictures too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that the picture of Mr. Houston was a picture of Sigmund Freud! LOL. I like the pic of the three of you together...there are so many pics that I have never seen. Love, Aunt Hila

Nilla said...

Aunt Hila, I'll have to try to scan all those pics from when S and K went to Panama that time and send them your way! Love you! Oh, and if that had been Sigmund Freud, we could have certainly "analyzed" her desire to kiss the picture, Freudian-style (the analyzation, I mean :)).

juliebean said...

you did not say which girl in the pic was elka? The first or second? You have the teenager look on your face, that is too funny!

Nilla said...

The one in the middle is Elka. The other one is her sister (The Little E Family). I thought Elka looked enough the same that it would be easy to tell ;). yeah, I know... I look annoyed. I was 15. I was probably always 'annoyed'. haha.

Katherine Ronachert said...

my first thought was how gloriously tan i looked as well. how sad. oh, and i don't remember being annoyed to look at pictures. anyway. . . glad you were safe!