Friday, January 18, 2008

20 Pages?! Really!?

Yikes. What else is there to say? I had my online class for the first time last night. It is Materials and Services for Adults. As the professor is talking about the assignments, one of course is a "paper" of sorts about a service libraries provide for adults. I will be doing mine on bibliographic instruction and computer classes (such as how to use the library catalog, online databases, and also teaching people how to use MS Word, etc.). So, naturally, the question gets asked: how long should the paper be? I'm sitting there thinking "Please don't say 8 to 10 pages" (and keep in mind my intention in wishing for this is that she will say something UNDER 8 pages). So then she goes, "Oh, probably around 18 to 20 pages." To quote another student in the class... "I almost choked on my dinner when she said 18 to 20 pages." And that would probably be more accurate if I had been eating my dinner at the time. However, you get my drift. 18 to 20 pages? Well, as another classmate pointed out, she didn't say 8 to 10. I guess it's true what they say: be careful what you wish for (yes, this is grammatically incorrect, but since this is the phrase everyone says, I'll leave it this way :). I'm such a nerd). But 18 to 20 pages? Last semester I was whining about 12 pages. That seems like a walk in the park! Which I guess also means I should be careful of the things about which I complain. Apparently it can get worse :). So I had better stop complaining about 20 pages before it does get worse!

In other news: SNOW in Alabama. No, it hasn't happened yet. I wouldn't be sitting here if it had. But it's predicted for tonight and tomorrow. We shall see. If it comes to pass, you can bet on some pictures. I guess I should admit that there has been some snow already in Alabama, but North of here, so I haven't seen any. We are predicted to get 3 to 4 inches of snow. So, again, we shall see. It will mean that I will probably hole up inside and read tomorrow (perhaps that will be a good thing, since I will be forced to read for school). Because I sure ain't driving in the snow! How's that for English-major terminology. Well, I just don't want to drive in the snow if I don't have to. One day I should know how to do it without a problem. But I'll wait until I have to.

So, you want a laugh? I sleep with toilet paper stuffed in my ears now. That's my homemade ear plugs. Haha!!! They are pretty effective, actually. I slept very soundly last night. You know, I slept in a creaky bed once upon a time. I didn't think its sound would carry so much. And now I understand just how much a creaky bed can be heard by others. And so now I will never do that again. I will own a bed that does not creak and groan with every movement I make.

Okay, so my friend Virginia left a comment for the post about Cheetos. It's so hilarious that I am going to put it here so you can see it without having to hunt it down: "Irony thy name is Cheetos! I see that you find being cheesy easy (I LOVE IT)" How hilarious is that? Because, you know, Chester Cheeto says "It's not easy being cheesy" and then my whole "irony..." statement (yes, I admit it) was pretty cheesy!! I love it when connections like that are made! Too funny! I laughed.

Oh, in case you were wondering about the status of my CD-ROM drive... I think maybe it just needed a little "tap" to load the CD-ROMs. At least that's what I'm going to say :). Because I gave it one, and it worked. The good news there is that you can soon expect a post about Ben (my older brother), since I now have another picture of us. Oh, side note: Ben got a new job! At the hospital in the city where he lives. It's more money and he starts in February! So, congratulations Ben!
It also means that I can do a post with my sisters- and brother-in-law. So yay :). The bad news is that Wal-Mart only lets you upload 20 photos (one by one, since I can't install the Active-X control...) to each album. And that would have taken ages! So forget it. I'm just going to go do it today in the store.

Being able to get those CDs to load also means I was able to get this picture for posting purposes:
Remember the group of loud librarians at Applebees about which I told you? Well, this is us! From L to R is Anne, me, Julie, Carol, and Kristin. Nancy was there, but she was taking the picture, since she didn't want to be in it. Yep, that was a night full of laughs.

Well, I'm sure I'm missing something. But that's okay. This will suffice for now :)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the snow... I'm a little bit jealous since Taylor is 13 and has never even seen a flurry!! Stay warm. Love ya! Anne

juliebean said...

My eyes are closed in that picture. That was a great night, long long ago!