Tuesday, January 15, 2008

At a Loss For Words

Okay, those of you who know me will know that it is rare for me to ever claim that I am at a loss for words. And for those of you who know me, you are probably wishing I would be at a loss for words when I am in your presence instead of right now :). But seriously. I have sat here and thought, for about 15 minutes, about what I could possibly say today. And do you know that, even with the help of looking through the pictures on my jump drive, I come up with NOTHING???!!!?? Well, that's not entirely true. I still owe my "big" brother Ben a post dedicated to him. Not that he looks at my blog or anything. But I did one for Christina and Brad, and therefore only think it fair to include him. However, I have to get more pictures of us together to do it justice. So that one got shelved for another day. I would also like to introduce everyone to my sisters- and brother-in-law. However, I do not have any really great pictures of my SIL Michelle! Apparently I'm a slacker at the moment. I can remedy that situation pretty easily by going home and getting into my Picasa. There are years and years of great pictures.

And apparently I have not been doing enough blog-stalking to get new ideas from other people's blogs :). So anyway, I feel like I have nothing to say. But I know, at the very least, my cousin Elka likes to read my ramblings every day. She was so excited about my weekend post this past weekend that I would feel plain cruel if I didn't give her something to read :)! (Or maybe she's just being nice ;)). Oh, I should say that, so far, I do have one correct guess on the movie quote. Juliebean got it, but I haven't posted it yet. So, alas, that means no more hints :). Oh, and so I think I have finally decided to make up my own "survey" thing and just tell you random things about me. Which I probably do this all the time anyway, but whatever. Add this to your Nilla file :).

I changed my mind about what I wanted to do with my life a lot of times (as far as education goes). From the time I was in 4th grade, I felt like I wanted to be a teacher. Most of the time I wanted to be an elementary school teacher (because I adored my 4th grade teacher, Ms. Freund), but there were times I wanted to do secondary ed. But, by the time I started college, I was sure about elementary ed. But, I didn't end up doing much in college at that point (in fact, I never even started classes), and by the time I started again, I had decided on Journalism. But I had a really good Math ACT score, so I was encouraged to take Calculus my first semester of college. So I did. And then I took Calculus II and III. And during those classes, when we talked about what we were going to major in, the teacher always asked me why I was in Calculus if I planned to major in Journalism. Well, because I can be here and it's "just in case" was usually my answer. Well, somewhere along the way I felt like I didn't want to major in Journalism. Because, while I LOVE to write, I mostly love to write about things about which I care. I don't want to be told to write about some political issue, or some local bar-fight or something. So anyway, I changed to Chemistry. Because I had the big idea to become a forensic scientist of some sort. (Because CSI, though I'm sure nothing like the real world, really fascinated me and seemed like every day in such a job would bring excitement and nothing would be routine.) So it was good, after all, that I had taken all those math classes. So, I enrolled in some more math. And after a semester of Chemistry I, Physics with Calculus I, and Differential Equations (in which the teacher gifted me with a C), I decided I did NOT like math that much. And besides, I really want to be a mom, not a career-woman. So, I opted to change my major to English (because I had always excelled in English) and, because I couldn't exactly waste all those math classes, I minored in Math. Most people cringe when I say that I have an English major and a Math minor. And one person told me it wasn't fair to be good at both of them. But really, I couldn't waste that money! So, I ended up having to take one more math class (Linear Algebra) and then I had my minor. And now I'm getting a master's degree in Library and Information Studies. Because, truthfully, although I hope I one day have a family and hope to be able to stay home with my children; if I have to work the rest of my life, I can see myself being happy and content in the library field. So, there you have it. That's the story of my education ;). And since I'm talking about education, I'm going to list out my teachers from Preschool to now and see how many I can remember. Oh, and you can totally stop reading now (if you haven't already). I seriously had nothing interesting to even say today! How sad!!!

Winifred and Saltero. Palmer and Engelke. Zapata. Richards. Smith. Freund. Sprague. Schulte. Carde, George, Kemp, Boozer, Helms, Hanson. McDade, Kirby, Reyes, Careless, Thompson, Loudat. Duffus, Holland, Dean, Ramirez, Martinez, Quinn, Cigarruista, Gibson. Brown, Nordell, Cigarruista, Vice, Fisher, Hanson, Oliver. Gonzalez, Seitz, Peterson, Seitz, Brannick, Baca, Corbett, Widdop (driver's ed). Jernigan, Hooks, Hanahan, Kinard, Andrews/Kinard, Hughes. Lefan, MacMillan. Lefan. Lefan. York. Ross, Davis, Nixon, Fike. Brown, (Economics teacher), (Music teacher), (?). (Online History class), Kinney. Lafleur, Mixon, Beaver, Seigle. Feagin (twice), Turner, (Astronomy). Feagin, Gussick, Belsches. Gussick (twice), Patrick, Brown. Gussick (twice), Belsches, Ortego (twice). Ortego, Belsches, (online poetry class). Atkinson, MacCall. Atkinson, Weddle. Weddle (twice), Coleman. Stephens, Tidline, Nelson.

Good grief. That took a lot of effort! I am amazed at how much I have forgotten. Especially from my undergraduate time, which wasn't all that long ago! I think I have a headache now. Well, since I one day plan to print this blog out, that list will probably be of some value to me someday :). Sorry for making all of you look through it. Hopefully something interesting will happen so I can say something worthwhile tomorrow. If nothing else, I did think up some funny stories about school-days while I was making my list of teachers ;).

10 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

ok, so i left a seriously long comment and i am not going to rewrite it, but apparently it was lost. so if you received, lucky you. but if not, cosider this the next best thing! and fyi the cheese steak was delicious!

Nilla said...

Okay, now I'm bummed, because I did NOT get the long comment! Now I want to know what it said! That's not fair Elka!! And stop talking about cheese steak ;). That sounds really good right now! I don't think I eat "real" food most of the time... I think I must do that, since I'm craving "real" food. (i.e. not canned biscuits you're trying to use up before they go bad and some of that Hickory Hills sausage stuff sent by G&G).

Kira =] said...

I found it interesting reading about your educational journeys. I told my sister about your schooling and your masters and she said, "Wow!" I'm very proud to have a friend who is a librarian. =]

Nilla said...

Thanks Kira! I appreciate that ;). And I'm glad even the more mundane things about my life are interesting to somebody :). And tell your sister I said thanks!

Anonymous said...

How can you possibly remember all those teachers? I can't remember squat since going through menopause....I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast! But it is so freeing to be 54! LOL! I don't give a hoot about what people think of me, and now I can say all kinds of weird stuff and people chalk it up to my age. It's great. I highly recommend it. My age has never bothered me (i.e. reaching 30, 40, 50)I wouldn't change my age for anything. I wake up in the morning and my boobs hang down and say hello to my belly button, then I shuffle off to the bathroom and it's a great start to wonderful day! Love you tons! Aunt Hila

Nilla said...

Aunt Hila, You are a gem! You always make me laugh :). And I told you, I have a freakish memory! I think I'm losing it a little :(. But it's still working most of the time! They say you forget things when you are pregnant. That will be truly tragic for me!

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh, so i wrote something to the effect of i can't even remember what color underwear i wore yesterday, let alone all my teachers. freakish memory! anyway, i'm still having a total loss as to where the quote comes from. sigh. i know i'm going to hit myself on the forehead when it is posted.

Katherine Ronachert said...

so this is a real guess, and i'm guessing it's wrong, 10 things i hate about you. i really only saw that movie once, and i don't even think it was the whole movie, but i can't remember. so now i'm going to google it.

Anonymous said...

I bet Elka's underware was white! Am I right???? LOL. Mama

Nilla said...

Haha, Aunt Hila! Yeah, I'm betting the same thing!