Thursday, January 3, 2008

Frigid Air and Things Forgotten

Brrrr. It's cold outside. According to the weather predictions yesterday, today's low was 16. And I was just out in that. Fun. I think I have to readjust my praises of the stupid de-icer. It melts the ice great. But when it's particularly cold, my window fogs up and starts to ice over again after I'm done de-icing it. Makes for difficult driving. This has happened to me twice now. And I usually have no extra time to wait for the car to warm up enough to take care of the fog/re-ice. And so one day, I ran a red light and only realized it was a red light (because I couldn't technically see it) when I saw the huge red truck I almost hit... Yeah, not so great. Today's visuals were a bit better, but still not the greatest. Maybe I need to buy the anti-freeze spray too. First do one and then the other. Not like I have time even for that... Anyway, it was cold enough outside to wear my cool NYC tobogan-type hat to work today. And I learned my lesson, because technically it was cold enough yesterday to wear it (which I found out as the wind whipped and numbed my ears as I walked down to student receivables to see about my $500 refund from my scholarship - which it turns out I had to go in person or call and they click something so that it credits my credit card, which I used to pay tuition... Would have been nice to know that a month ago, but that's what I get for not reading and living by the assumption that a check would magically arrive in the mail). Okay, why that was important, I don't really know, but now you know :).

Okay, something I forgot to mention yesterday... I love it when my body cooperates. I don't have any idea how to actually make it cooperate with me, so it's lovely when it does it all on its own :). See, I informed you of all the bad stuff I ate the week before Christmas. And let's be honest... the week of Christmas was no better (you did, after all, see what Julie and I ate my last night there). And yet, when I got home and stepped on the scale the other day, I had pretty much maintained my weight. In fact, I might have dropped a pound or 2. I was thrilled when I stepped on Alysha's scale in FL, but Julie informed me that it weighs light (about 5 pounds light). It was a nice ego-boost that day, but I was fine with the idea that I was 5 pounds heavier than it said I was. And then I get home and find out my scale says I'm only 3 pounds heavier than Alysha's scale said I was. I can handle that... Especially given all the sweets and junk I've eaten. Oh, and while I'm on this topic, I should probably mention that, in spite of my best efforts to diminsh the number of sweets in my posession, I failed. I think I returned from Dothan with as many (if not more) sweets than I went with. Lovely. Now to spend the rest of the month of January to try to get rid of those.

Oh, and check this out. So when I left Julie's, I made sure to get everything I'd taken. Julie was looking around, checking behind me in the living room and saying, "I just don't want you to forget anything." And I said, "I think I've got everything. And if I've forgotten something, it's obviously not important enough for me to remember." Famous last words. I'm about 30 minutes away from Dothan when Alysha calls and says, "Guess what you forgot?" I can't even imagine what it is and am thinking it wasn't important if I still haven't realized it. So I said, "What did I forget?" "Your glasses." Yeah. Really. I'm telling you... It takes a special kind of genius to forget something like that. Those are actually quite important!!! So thanks, Juliebean, for putting them in the mail to me!! I haven't gotten them yet, but I'm sure they'll be here soon!

Okay, I followed the link for this on Kira's blog. Turns out I'm 30% geek. I tried to post the stupid thing in here, but it messed everything up, so forget it.

Apparently I don't know a lot of things that would make me geeky. I do, however, know what Slashdot's slogan is. That jumped me a few percentage point. I really thought I would score high on the geeky. But I guess I'm just not that kind of geeky.

Some of you may have already noticed, but I added a playlist on the right. I did not make it so that it automagically starts playing, because I know some of you work and don't want music to just start blasting out of your speakers :). But Aunt Hila, I added "Walk Like a Man" for your benefit (and also because I like it). You just click on the play button. You can probably select the song you want to listen to by double clicking on it or something, but I have it set to random, so if you just click play, it will randomly pick a song. These are all songs I like ;). Oh yeah, and "The Mary Tyler Moore Theme" is the song I told Julie I was going to make my new theme song :). If I tell Brad that, he'll tell me I'm conceited. Maybe I'll call him and tell him that just to hear him say it. He'll get a great kick out of that. We used to love watching that show when we were in Dothan for vacation when we were teenagers. What a great memory. Anyway, so that's the playlist explanation.

And finally, here's a fun little comparison that I promised a while back. No laughing!!!
Yeah, it really looked cuter when I was 7 1/2.

Oh, this is really the final thing: Kristin found a place where you can really get creative with your blog background. She sent me the link and so I went there to look at them. I "test-drove" several different backgrounds. Alas, I just like my plain vaNILLA blog. Sorry Julie. I tried, I really did ;).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mary Tyler Moore. What funny story lines and what really great chemistry the actors had with one another.
Oh, and about the scale...they are soooo unreliable! My scale weighs 50 lbs to heavy!! I mean, give me a break. I should throw the thing out, but its accuracy appears to be intermittent, depending on who happens to be standing on it. Very odd! Love you, Aunt Hila

Nilla said...

Yes, I'm very sad that they no longer show "Mary Tyler Moore" on Nick at Night. Brad, Christina, and I watched every weeknight on summer vacations. A great, hilarious, and wholesome show.

And as for scales... Yeah, mine should read about 15 pounds lighter (in my dreams :)) but at least it's accurate based on the last time I weighed. So I guess I'll keep it for now... But Alysha's scale was closer to being what I think should be correct. Haha :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

i on the other hand have gained 10 and am thinking that i should definately invest in a new scale and new pants because i'm sure that they are all off! glad your back in the blogging world!

Nilla said...

I doubt you gained 10 pounds :). And besides, you're getting ready to start training for the 3-day again. So it's all good :). Personally, I think it has something to do with Dothan... I seem to lose weight everytime I go there. Maybe I should move there instead of WA! (Just kidding :)).

Lindsey said...

I love your blog Hila! It's awesome. I don't miss my car windshield icing over. don't get that too much over here. I love the side pony tail picts too. That is too funny.

Kira =] said...

Sooooo, where is the link to the blog backgrounds? AND you were more than welcome to leave your sweets at my home on your way back. =] weight gain doesn't phase me right now and everything extra is "for the baby" (with a wink & a nod)