Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Brutal Teeth-Cleaning, etc.

Well, yesterday was my 6-month dental visit. I must say, that was the most brutal teeth cleaning of my life! I'm pretty sure she scraped away quite a bit of my flesh, and then she goes, "just brush your gums a little more and floss daily and that bleeding should go away." Either that or just don't let your dental hygienist scrape away actual flesh. I think that would cause bleeding in even the healthiest gums. Anyway, she complemented my teeth and just told me to floss daily (which I will admit, I am lousy at flossing... I just get lazy). Then the actual dentist came in and looked at my teeth. He was like, "Your teeth look good. The tissues look good" (talking about my gums). So then she inserts her comments about the bleeding gums. Yeah, I'm thinking she just did a cleaning that was a little on the brutal side. Haha. She was super-nice though. And I will also say that I think I've never had my teeth feel cleaner than when she was done with them. Oh yeah, she was particularly rough around one of my crowns, which is when I usually freak out. I have this major fear of having my crowns fall out again. Every so often, I actually have dreams about my teeth. Usually they are not good dreams. Usually all of my teeth start getting loose and start falling out and I can literally feel the spot where my tooth used to be and it feels very real. Yuck. And I'm always freaking out in the dream. Of course, at least I'm not alone in this. That was one of the things April and I discussed at our girls' night last week. She has dreams like that too. How weird.

Anyway, I was also able to go to Tuesday's Institute day class. That was cool. I had to leave early, though, to head to the dentist. Oh, and one of the girls in the class brough German chocolate cupcakes, and, of course, I couldn't resist. Even though I was about to go to the dentist. After the dentist, I went home and pretended to be a student by taking notes on one of my books for my 18 page paper. That book was not very helpful to me. Oh well. And then I worked on reading more of Robin Cook's Crisis. I'll tell you what... I used to whip through fiction books. I don't know what the deal is lately. I just have been taking a long time to read books! For example, I'm going to have to go renew this book, because it's due Friday and I'm nowhere near done! How pitiful! I made some hamburgers for dinner and then went to Institute night class.

So after Institute, after I was home and after Stefanie got home, Stefanie decided she wanted to deliver some banana bread to our neighbor next door. Yeah, shirtless guy. Since she used the sugar she borrowed from him to make the banana bread, she wanted to share some. So she wanted me to go with her. I was like, "No! I don't want to go!" She kept insisting and I kept declining. Meanwhile, she's trying to find a ribbon to put around it to make it pretty and so we are standing in the kitchen talking and laughing about this, because I told her she's going to give this guy the wrong impression that she's hitting on him (I mean, she already made him aware of the fact that she noticed him without his shirt...). So we are just cracking up and then she goes, "I wonder if he can hear us!" And I said, "Nah. We can't hear him." So I finally conceded to walk out there with her (it was freezing outside by this point and I was in short sleeves) and she knocked on the door and it was opened immediately. And he had meat in his hands, so maybe he had been in the kitchen and heard us talking after all! Too funny. Anyway, I just hung back, barely in view, since I guess I was just there for "moral support." I pointed out to Stef that she hadn't needed company while going over to borrow the sugar. She wasn't buying it. Anyway, so Stefanie goes, "Hi! We just wanted to say thanks for the sugar by bringing you over some of the banana bread we baked with it!" And he takes the bread (wrapped in saran and decorated with a pretty purple lace bow) and says, "Oh awesome! Thanks!" And then we leave. So then, once inside our apartment, I made the observation that he sure did open the door quickly and that he might very well have heard our whole conversation in the kitchen. Stefanie was mortified. And then she goes, "I need to learn social skills! I sounded like such a dork! I think I am socially inadequate!" Oh we could not stop laughing. Probably it was funnier in person, and not nearly as funny while I'm telling it. But it was hilarious. Oh, and Stefanie has told me she owes me her participation in an embarassing event, since I went with her to deliver the banana bread to shirtless guy. Who was wearing a shirt, by the way.

So, we had an unseasonably warm day yesterday, coupled with rain. I think it was a high around 70 degrees. But the rain, of course, brought in the cold again. And last night, when I left Institute, the wind was blowing so hard! It sounded like more rain, but it was just the wind. And I have heard this morning that a lot of people lost power due to the wind. Luckily we did not. And so, here we are, back at work. And, I forgot my watch this morning. This is truly a tragedy, as I tend to be governed by time. I am sure I will look at my wrist about 50 times today and discover I do not have my watch...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the banana bread story. It is quite likely that he can hear you, since you both could hear the Squeeky Springs Duo the other night. Your SSDuo must be related to our 4-in-the-hot-tub-at-2-in-the-morning neighbors. The sodden fools. They have no idea how their OOOOooooossss echoed on a clear Saturday night at 2 a.m. Skanks! LOL! Love, Aunt H.

Nilla said...

4 in the hot tub??!!?? Who wants to share that experience with another couple??? Ick! They are skanks!

Kira =] said...

It was hilarious to me! maybe that's because i know Stephanie and how she acts. lacking in social skills? Please! I'm so glad you guys have a blast living together!! =]

Nilla said...

Yeah, she and I really have had a lot of fun living together. I think I am giving her an education on some things... Bless her heart.

Katherine Ronachert said...

bless her heart? is that the common southern insult? ;) i concur with the 4 in the hot tub. swinging is not in.

Nilla said...

Well, it's a common Southern saying, but it varies about whether or not it's an insult. Have to use context clues to know :). Oh, and ironic that you should mention swinging... THat's one of the things I've educated Stefanie on. She'd never even heard of it before. And then she went to a spin class and someone mentioned it and she was so proud that she now knew what it was. Like I said: "Bless her heart."

Kira =] said...

oh and about brutal teeth cleaning--the worst teeth cleaning is when you have braces. They spray crap all over your face and they're trying to be nice and wipe it off, but instead it just digs in and feels like sandpaper being rubbed across your face.

Nilla said...

Okay Kira, my serious reaction to your comment: ew. Yuck. Cringe. Something disgusting about the idea of stuff from your mouth being sprayed on your face. Yuck.