Monday, June 23, 2008

A Way Prepared

So I was doing my scripture study the other night. Right now I'm using the Doctrines of the Gospel Institute manual as a guide for study, and I was studying the law of obedience. I have to say I love when I am able to "liken the scriptures" to my life and my situation. When I am able to do that, I never forget the experience or what I have learned. The other night as I was studying, I was directed to read 1 Nephi 3:7 (in The Book of Mormon), which reads: "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." Now, I have known this scripture verse for a long time -- it is a scripture mastery verse, so it was one we memorized for seminary while I was in high school. I always understood it and I always have known that it is a powerful verse. But somehow, I always applied it to huge events. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyway, as I was reading it the other night, I guess I was able to see how I have seen it happen in my life, and I know that it is a true principle. I have done a lot of thinking recently about how blessed I've been to be able to accomplish certain things while I've been here. I guess, with my time here drawing to a close, I have really pondered a lot of what my reason for being here was. And I have to say that I see that the statement by Nephi is true. We have been counseled by modern-day prophets to get as much education as we can, both men and women. We have been counseled also to get out of debt, to stay out of debt, to have savings, and to live within our means. In the less than 2 years I have spent here, I have been able to accomplish both of these goals. Now, I realize I am not articulating this well at all. But as I was reading and studying that verse, these are the specific things that came to mind that showed me that it is a true principle. The Lord has revealed these two things to His chosen servants, the prophets. And therefore they are commandments. And, as I made these things goals in my life -- to obtain my education and to get out of credit card debt, the way has been opened that I could accomplish them. I had to be willing to do my part, of course. I had to be willing to do without some luxuries such as eating out every day or buying a nicer tv or something like that. But I have had everything I needed and so much of what I have wanted. I have not "gone without." I have lived quite comfortably. And there is no doubt in my mind that it is because the Lord prepared a way for me to accomplish the things He has commanded me to do; because I was willing to "move my feet" and trust that He would. I can honestly say that it seemed like an impossibility when I set those goals. I do not make a lot of money. And I know that to walk out of here with zero credit card debt and a master's degree for which I owe nothing (it's completely paid for), to leave here with a higher education than I had when I arrived, yet owing less than when I came... It's an impossibility. And that makes the fact that it happened a miracle. My education came cheaply because I work here at the university. In fact, I worked at the university where I got my undergrad. And as I have looked back over the past several years, I have seen how the path was paved to bring me here -- to help me choose a career that I enjoy should I have depend on my income to support myself and a family one day. And obtaining these jobs at the universities... From everything I've heard and seen -- it's not something that happens all the time. When I started making plans to come here to get my MLIS, jobs opened up. I interviewed for 2 at the same time and had received a call-back for an interview on a 3rd here, but in a different department. And then I got 2 scholarships in spite of the tuition break I was already receiving. These things testify to me that the Lord will prepare a way for us to do all that He asks, even things that don't seem huge, per se. They also testify to me that my Heavenly Father is very aware of me, and that He knows me and loves me. And, I know that as I set righteous goals to stay out of debt and to do the other things the Lords commands us to do, He will continue to provide a way so I can.

My next endeavor is to become prepared. I want to have my year supply of food storage, get my 72-hour kit, and also I want to plant a garden. Though I prefer to not be a pessimist about such things, I fear I see the reality of our economy and it isn't looking good. I want to be prepared for whatever may come -- whether it be natural disaster or economic chaos. And I know we've been given the counsel so that we know how we can prepare. Anyone interested in what we are counseled to do to prepare can go here. I will also include the link on my link list.

I don't intend that to sound like a sermon. It just has been on my mind a lot lately since I read that scripture verse. I am truly awed by the blessings I have received and the miracles I have witnessed in my life while I've been here. And perhaps that is just one of the reasons I've been here -- to see and witness these things. I had to survive on my own -- and I did, with Heavenly Father's help :). And at this moment, my heart is literally overflowing with gratitude to Him.

Now, let me segue (segway :)) into a topic less "deep" and definitely more shallow :). More flippant. I am starting my final week of school ever! Can you believe it?!? I can't! The weekend class went so well! We are done with our project except for one more picture I have to take of one of the professors. Then we print it out and present our projects this weekend! The teacher is taking us to breakfast on Saturday, which I think is so nice!

Oh, and check out my new computer monitor at work!
My new monitors!
Or should I say "monitors" :).

And, I'll tell you what... I love my siblings. And I love that we share memories, because sometimes someone will remember something the others didn't! Last night I was telling Christina about my blog post about song-butchering. She laughed. That loser... not only does she not blog -- she doesn't even read mine. I'm going to give her a spanking when I get there ;). Anyway, so I was reminding her about Brad's versions of the songs with the word phone. And oh, Christina cracked me up! Because she remembered one I didn't! And it was probably the most hilarious one!!! (Well, other than the semi-vulgar one ;)).

Waterfalls by TLC -- Brad's version: "Don't go making phone-y calls"

!!!! Is that not the most hilarious thing ever!!!??!!! Hopefully Tarylyn read this far down so she can pass it on to Bradymus. Bradymus who couldn't remember his rendition of "Tonight, Tonight" by Smashing Pumpkins. So, when I called him last night and told him, he laughed and told me to call and tell Tarylyn (Brad was driving to work) since she'd been bugging him to remember all week ;).

Oh! And because I'm the coolest sister (and aunt) ever!!!! I've already recruited Christina and Tarylyn for fort-building in Brad's living room when I get there! Which means Brad will be helping too. Brad, Christina, and I used to build the coolest forts in our bedroom. They were awesome and filled the whole room. We hung parts of the blankets from the ceiling fan. It was the coolest of cool. So, we're going to do this in Brad's living room because it's so huge and open. And then we're going to take the kids inside and they will have the best time! And so will we :). And, I promise pictures will be forthcoming... in a few months!

4 comments:

Mrs. S said...

Princess Bride! I do know that one

wilkinson family said...

that is so awesome, thank you for sharing this.
my guess for movie quote: princess bride

holley family said...

I'm not sure how to play your quote game but that one is definately princess bride!

Katherine Ronachert said...

nice blog.
especially since last week was father's day.
gives new meaning to doing all He asks, doesn't it!
ps. i love brad's rendition!