Thursday, June 12, 2008

I Wear My Sunglasses [Insert]...

Darn it! I should have taken that picture I thought about taking... It would have gone so well with this song.

And it would have made you laugh... a lot. Because I'm sure I looked quite awesome.
I wear my sunglasses insert
This picture was posed for your benefit.

So, I went to the eye doctor (at Wal-Mart) yesterday. I don't know about you, but my favorite part is the air puff in the eyeball. (I'm being sarcastic, by the way). I don't care how much I brace myself for that little puff of air, I still jolt my head back when it comes. Ugh. This year, I decided to wear my glasses for the appointment. Last year, I wore my contacts, and the lady who took all the eyeball measurements wasn't used to doing that, so she didn't ask me if I was wearing contacts. So, she therefore didn't ask me to take them out. So, I went through the whole eye exam thing with my contacts in my eyes... including getting them dilated. Finally the doctor realized my contacts were still in when he got to actually looking in my eyes. At first he was freaking out, because when he was trying to measure my vision, it kept changing and he was baffled. It was because I was wearing the contacts already. So, I had to start fresh and take out my contacts and get all the other measurements (including the air puff) again. So yeah, didn't want a repeat of that this year, so I just wore my glasses. The problem this presented is that, when I had my eyes dilated, I couldn't just pop on sunglasses, since I was wearing glasses. So, they gave me one of those nifty sunglasses inserts. Now, here's the really hilarious thing... to me. Whenever I picture someone wearing those, I usually picture a really old man. I definitely don't picture myself. Hahaha... I will now, though. Let me tell you, I looked like a hottie yesterday leaving Wal-Mart with my glasses on, and behind those, the sunglasses insert that sat way up high on my nose, while they pushed my glasses down to about 1/2 down my nose. I looked absolutely adorable. Hahaha... But seriously, it was a very bright, very bright, sunny day yesterday. I tried not wearing the sunglasses insert. And it hurt. So, I replaced them. And then I went home and watched Bachelor Mother (another oldie with Ginger Roberts -- it was so cute! How have I never been introduced to these before??!!) in my dark (and therefore dilated eyes-friendly) room. We had a lovely storm show up rather suddenly in the evening (I mean, seriously, where were those dark clouds when I was driving home with dilated eyes!?).

Oh, and the good news is that my prescription hasn't changed. So, I just ordered more contacts. I have vision insurance through my job. But, I have to pay quite a bit of it. And here's the depressing stuff you figure out when you do math in your head on the way home: I could have saved about $100 (if I'm remembering correctly how much they take out of my check each month for vision insurance) if I would have just opted out of the vision insurance and saved up the money by myself. Don't you hate it when you figure things like that out? Of course, maybe I'm wrong about the amount I have taken out of my check... maybe it's less. Either way, I had to pay almost $50 in co-pays for both the exam and the contacts. And really, to quote Shania, that don't impress me much. Looka there. You just got two songs today!

*And Tarylyn and Anna and Kira have guessed the movie quote correctly!*

7 comments:

Kira =] said...

Bill & Ted's excellent adventure

isn't Keanu Reeves so much better now? I had no clue about the movie until you said Anna got it, then I instantly knew what it was. I didn't even have to google it. =]

Virginia said...

So did you get ones that (a) unroll and hug your head (b) hang behind your lenses w/o legs or (c) tri-fold with little paper legs? I kinda like (b) but they must be more expensive because i haven't gotten any of those during an exam in quite some time. Chris likes to play with the roll-up ones - not quite as amusing as a slap bracelet but close!

Nilla said...

Nope, I got c. With the little legs. They were about useless.

Katherine Ronachert said...

how i love a nilla day with two songs! i'm very disappointed you didn't post a picture! *smiles*

Nilla said...

Well, I'll tell you what... I'll take a picture tonight when I take out my contacts and put on my glasses. Then I'll post it tomorrow. Something to keep you coming back tomorrow! :)

juliebean said...

that is pretty good insurance. Mine only covers the exam and I pay full price for the glasses/contacts.

wilkinson family said...

lol, love the pic hila. and too funny that k got the movie because i did.