Monday, June 2, 2008

Lazy Weekend

Wow! Blogger was being a bear this morning... I guess they were experiencing technical difficulties! But, I'm finally in! So yay!

So, I had a very lazy weekend. But that is perfectly okay, because it was my last one for 4 weeks... Because with June comes the start of classes once again. Tomorrow night is my first class of the semester. And each weekend (Friday night and Saturday all day) for the next 4 weeks I'll be in class. I'm not going to lie and say that I have been looking foward to this hectic month. But, I am looking forward to July when I am done with school!

Oh, and I did turn in my application for degree on Friday. So that's good. That means I should be good to go as far as graduation is concerned. As long as I pay what I owe (which still includes the $6.00 library fine :( ).

Anyway, Friday evening Virginia came over and we watched a movie and ate chicken taco soup and Mexican confetti pinwheels. On Saturday, I didn't wake up until around 10. I know... so lazy. But, it feels good to sleep in when I have nothing pressing! I really didn't do anything on Saturday other than wash a couple loads of laundry and read. And I went to Target with Stefanie and my home teachers came by to share a message. Saturday I watched an old classic: The Gay Divorcee. It made me want to learn how to ballroom dance all over again! (If you'll recall, these desires were first kindled by the wonderfulness that is Dirty Dancing.) Oh yeah, and while I was sitting in the living room watching the movie, I started to hear dripping in the kitchen. I went in there and there was water dripping onto the floor from the light fixture! Good grief! Probably explains why some of the bulbs in there don't work... Sunday I went to church and then lazied around for the rest of the day. I read and napped. And stayed up until sometime well after 1:00 this morning because I couldn't sleep. Any suggestions for how to turn off your brain? On the up side, I am only working until 11:15, and then I'm going to get my oil changed (which is probably something I should learn how to do myself). Also this weekend, I talked to Julie, my mom, my dad, and Brad.

So, my dad told me a story... It's one I'd heard, but I'd never heard him tell it quite from this perspective. And, of course, it came about because I was playing around and acting like "conceited Hila." See, my dad likes to say stuff like, "I don't know what I'm going to do with you kids. You're all a pain in my butt." To which I reply, "Well, at least it's reciprocal" (meaning he's a pain in mine too). And then I said, "Ah, but what you didn't realize was that, when I was born, you were being blessed with a wonderful, magnificent daughter. You didn't know just how special of a girl you were getting." Of course, I was playing around, the way I do with Brad and my dad (the way I do that makes Brad say I'm conceited). Well, then my dad got all serious and he said, "What you don't realize, Hila, is that I did know how special you are. I knew it when your mom had that accident. She didn't move in that car, and she should have. And if she had, her stomach would have hit the steering wheel and it would have killed you instantly. I knew someone was watching over you that day. You are special. You all are: you, Christina, Ben, and Brad." And then I think it was getting too serious, because he added, "You're all special girls." I told him I'd inform Ben and Brad. Anyway, so the story goes that my mom was 8 months pregnant with me. She was driving somewhere and somehow went off the road and hit the "fence" type thing that was keeping people from going over the edge, I guess. I mentioned this story to my mom on Saturday and told her what my dad said. She agreed. She said, "Yeah, I didn't move an inch, and I should have been thrown forward." Anyway, it was interesting to hear this story from that perspective. I mean, I'd known about the accident (although I usually don't remember the story). I'd never really known details like that, though.

Anyway, I add stuff like this because I do plan to one day print this out (it's going to cost me a pretty penny when that day comes). And these little tidbits are things that aren't written down anywhere. So, I add them here. Hopefully it doesn't come across as me being conceited ;). Unless you're Bradymus. Then you think I'm conceited anyway and there's no hope for you. If you're not Bradymus, then you're totally cool and you don't have to worry. And you should consider yourself lucky.

Oh yeah!!! So, because my dad said that about us all being "special girls"... I sooo totally have to segue (segway) into this story. It is one for which Brad might not ever forgive me... It was cruel. I was a cruel sister. One day, my mom went into the commissary (grocery store for military people) and she was going in really fast, so we all just sat in the van and waited. I decided to tell Brad he was really born a girl. He was like, "Shut up Hila." I continued to insist. I kept a straight face (not sure how I did that). Eventually I had him convinced. I even had a name picked out for him. Michelle. I told him Mom and Dad had really wanted a boy, so they had it "fixed." By the time my mom got back into the van, Brad was a believer. He said, "Mom, was I really a girl?" My mom was like, "What?" By this point, I am busting out laughing. I was a cruel sister. But so you see, Brad? You really were a special girl ;). Ask Dad. Hahahah... I'm still a cruel sister.

15 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

smiling all over the place here! can i call brad, michelle?
love your stories!

Nilla said...

Yeah, you can call him Michelle. I have since given him permission to choose any embarassing story about me and I HAVE to write it on my blog. To make up for this. I get a feeling there might be an onion dip story up here shortly...

The Silverback said...

Poor Brad. I have always heard that older sisters torture their younger brothers. It must be true! Eric Ernest used to say that his sisters tortured him....locked him in the closet, etc. Your dad & mom know Eric. We all went to Cristobal High School together.
As for the accident and where it happened: Your mom was driving back to the Pacific side of the Isthmus from an orthodontic appt that she had on the Atlantic side of the Isthmus. Your parents really liked the Ortho on the Atlantic side, so she would drive the 50 miles to see him. She was somewhere around the Forest Preserve (I think)when the car tire caught the uneven edge of the road. She spun all around; at least 360 degrees, maybe more. Her Guardian Angel was in the car that day watching over you and her (and was Ben there too?? I can't remember).

Tarylyn said...

haha too cute ;)

the happy thomas family said...

by gay divorcee, i am assuming that you are referring to the fred astaire and ginger rogers gay divorcee... which would prove (once again) that you have simply marvelous taste in classic film. i have all 11 of their films if you ever have craving for some swing time or shall we dance...

Katherine Ronachert said...

does it qualify for an ooo stank blog post?

Heath Hopkins said...

So, is that quote by Lewis from The Great Divorce aimed at me? ;)

Nilla said...

Aunt Hila -- thanks for even more details! I hadn't heard those either! Wow!

Stacy -- actually I am being introduced to them by your mom! She lent me several and I'm going to start making my way through them (probably mostly in July, since I'll be in school all this week). So, of those you mentioned (like Swing Time), what would you recommend next? I was going to watch the Major and the Minor, sometime soon... So what are your suggestions? Oh, and I lent your mom a movie on VHS called THE PRIVATE EYES. It's with Tim Conway and Don Knotts. Don't know if that's your type of thing (it's a cute little movie), but if it is, get it from her and try it.

Elka -- WHAT?!? Does what qualify as oo stank? Totally lost you on that one.

Heath -- I think it applies to everyone. It wasn't aimed at you any more than any of my quotes are. I'm reading THE GREAT DIVORCE right now and I read that sometime after midnight yesterday morning. Thought it was an amazing statement. Wrote it down and used it as my quote ;). A lot of times my quotes are aimed at me :).

Nilla said...

Oh, and Stacy -- I'll be in school all this month, not just this week (oh how I wish it was just one week!)

Heath Hopkins said...

I read The Great Divorce six months to a year ago. You know I can't tell how much time has passed. Anyway, since you're still reading it, I won't discuss the plot. I don't want to be THAT guy.

Did you see the new book about Narnia where the author thinks he has found a new link between the books? Here is a quick run down of his position:
Secrets of Narnia Deciphered, Scholar Claims

Heath Hopkins said...

Oh yeah! Just to keep the whole monkey joke going, check out this article. It's kind of depressing.

The Return of Panama Disease

Nilla said...

That article was interesting. I guess I never noticed those things... Of course, I haven't finished that series yet. I get side-tracked easily!

I'm a little over halfway through THE GREAT DIVORCE. Well, no. Maybe I'm further than that. He's already met his teacher (the Irishman). Who, I'm pretty sure, was "responsible" for that quote :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

onion dip story

Nilla said...

Awww! That Panama disease story is sad! What would it be like to not have lots of bananas for cheap?

And oh yes... the onion dip story is surely "ooo-stank" worthy. It's a good one.

Anonymous said...

Hila,

I think maybe you could have gone to sleep earlier than 1 am had you not slept so much during the day!

I hope to see you next time you're in LA!

JAH