Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Classic Nilla Night

I still don't know who JAH is. I thought I had a confession. See, my friend Donna at Troy in Dothan emailed me and asked me what she should put on a personalized plate -- if I had any ideas. My ideas were pretty lame, mostly because it's hard to shorten "librarian" for a vanity plate. If only we had long license plates like in Europe... (I've never seen them personally, but they look long in the movies). So, I give Donna my ideas and say I'll keep thinking about it. And shoot... I guess for fun, if any of you guys out there can think of a cool license plate abbreviation for a cool, Betty Crocker/Martha Stewart, fun librarian... let me know and I'll pass it on. Anyway, so then Donna writes me back and says, "Maybe I should put JAH on my license plate -- Just Another Headcase. Tee hee, Donna" Well, I thought that was a confession! Turns out, not so much. She just went to my blog and saw that and thought she would toy with me. For that, maybe her plate should read: MN LIBRN. Hahaha... So, still no confession on JAH.

Yesterday, since I got to go home after work, I did a load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher, folded/hung up the laundry that had been in the dryer for a couple of days (I'm so guilty), and settled in to watch a classic: Shall We Dance. It is with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. They actually have a scene where they dance on rollerskates! And all I could think of was: I wonder how many times they fell? And, WOW! They are good at what they do! My friend Stacy put several clips from Fred and Ginger movies on her blog yesterday, so you should go check some of them out. I'm telling you, it makes me wish I could dance like that! Also, it was funny. There were some very hilarious parts that made me laugh out loud. In order for me to explain this, I'll have to tell you a bit about the premise of the movie... Fred and Ginger are two famous dancers. They meet up and fall in love, but Ginger's character is semi-engaged to someone else. And, based on some falsehoods told, someone starts spreading the rumor that Ginger's character and Fred's character have been secretly married for years and that they are expecting a baby! This, of course, is not true... But, due to many many mix-ups, they end up deciding it would be best to actually get married so they can get divorced. So, they go down to NJ (since everyone in NY already thinks they are married). While at the marriage certificate office (or whatever it was in those days), Ginger's character says to the clerk, "What are grounds for divorce in this state?" The little clerk looks up, slides his glasses down his nose a bit, and very seriously replies, "Marriage." Oh how I laughed! I will say I was a little disappointed with the ending. I mean, it ended well. But I was expecting more of a BANG ending than what it had. It wasn't bad. I think this was a lovely movie all the way around. I just expected a little more of a bang at the end ;).

Side note: I really want to own Frasier on DVD. I was telling Stefanie about one of the episodes (the cabin mix-up episode... soooo hilarious). I want to share it! I want her to see it! It is one of my all-time favorite episodes of Frasier. But, I also want to maintain my debt-free-edness for as long as possible. I am still credit card debt-free, and I have already purchased my dad's ticket to return to Alabama after he helps me drive to Washington. So, it's hard for me to spend money I know I don't need to spend. But it's very very tempting! Anyway, if you want a taste of one of my favorite episodes, click here :). And enjoy.

Oh, I called Samuel to wish him a happy birthday last night. He doesn't care much about the phone. But, he talked to me for about 2 minutes. I said, "Is today you're birthday?" And he said, "Yeah." I said, "How old are you?" And he said, "Three...no I'm four." I said, "Wow! You're such a big boy! I just called to tell you happy birthday!" And he said, "No, it's not your birthday yet." He cracks me up. And then he wanted to tell me about something funny they said on Alvin and the Chipmunks the movie. Something about "monster rock" maybe?

And, since I told a story about convincing Brad about something, and I was accused of torturing my brother ;)... Let me make it clear that I also tortured my sister :). I wasn't selective in my sibling torture. If you were younger than I and related to me, you got tortured. Here's what I did to my sister (although probably not quite as cruel as what I did to Brad). So, we were going to go to eat as a family, either at Sorento's or Pizza Italia (don't remember which). I think it was Sorento's, because it was brighter in the restaurant in my memory than Pizza Italia ever was... Anyway, we 3 kids were already in the van, waiting on my parents. While waiting, I decided to inform Christina about the source of moles on one's skin... That source being mole-bugs, of course. You see, mole-bugs get under your skin and they create that round brown spot as like a covering to their home. Kind of like trap-door spiders (she totally understood this concept, because we had trapdoor spiders at the edge of our yard, and she and Brad knew how to trap them through their trap door). I told her not to pick at the moles, because if she did, they would get infected. And there was no sense trying to get them out, because that's what would cause infection. And it was very serious if the mole-bug homes became infected. The only cure then would be surgery, but even then, the whole affair could be very fatal indeed. Poor Christina, by the time my parents came out, she was near tears. And my parents had to allay her fears. Now, Christina probably got mad at me. She never liked to be tricked, and she didn't take it in stride like Brad did. Christina has always been more of a spit-fire. But, as she couldn't slug me with my parents present (which probably would have been her first and only choice otherwise), she bided (or is it bade?) her time. We get to the pizza place, place our orders, and dig in. I'm lifting a piece of mushroom pizza to my mouth when Christina's eyes get huge and she exclaims, "Hila! There's a worm on your pizza!" Now, Christina swears that my face got a frightened look on it. I have no recollection of that. My recollection is that I looked, saw that she was lying, and continued to eat. But, it made her feel like she had gotten even with me, so we'll let her keep her version ;)

15 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

glad you are enjoying all the movies my mom let you borrow... they all pretty much follow the same formula, but even though they are still "predictable", they are good. i read your comment on my blog about recognizing some of the songs. that's great! those that you mentioned are george gershwin songs... so if you mom didn't pick them up from these films, she could have heard them somewhere else. of course this wasn't during your mom's "time", but they were popular songs during this time frame. and have been done by other artists. for instance: they can't take that away from me was sung (and danced to) by gene kelley in an american in paris... another one you should try. however, it does have a loonnngggg dance sequence towards the end that i skip (that's how long and boring it is). and it doesn't end with a bang. but the rest of it is good. that's what i have to do... just focus on the other parts... or watch it twice if i didn't get my fill! if you were coming down here a little while before you actually move (or if we could figure out a way for you to get them back to me... because i trust you enough to take my babies with you...) i have several other old films like these that my mom doesn't have. i have all the fred and ginger movies (all ten) and a few others that you may like. the one's that you already have are by far the favorites, but the others have some good parts, too.

hope you continue to enjoy black and white! love................s

Heath Hopkins said...

If I remember correctly, there's was a 7 character limit when I got mine.

BOOKLVR
Then why don't you marry it?

SHHHHHH
The famous librarian hush or the initials of some really PHAUT guy.

4N20PIE
4 and 20 black birds baked in a pie

LIBERRY
My homage to Scrubs

COOKR
Very Web 2.0

TALIIAB
Take A Look! It's In A Book! Reading Rainbow!

Heath Hopkins said...

In order to get closer to JAH, you must pass the dutchie on the left hand side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah


How does it feel when you got no food?

Katherine Ronachert said...

can you rent the fraser dvd's from the library? or blockbuster? i've renting tv series lately because i'm not finding any of the movies worthwhile.

Nilla said...

Stacy -- a good chick flick is alwaysa predictable ;). And, I've determined that these are the chick flicks of the 1930s! The more things change, the more they stay the same :).

Heath -- great plate suggestions! I thought it was 8 characters... 7 makes it even harder. I'll pass those along. I particularly like your commentary. Although, I must admit I don't get the library 2.0 one. And ahhh... 80s music is sooo great... When I got no food, it don't feel good.

Elka -- I haven't gone to the Movie Gallery here in forever! They have gotten so expensive! I do want to own the episodes of FRASIER anyway... They would be good to watch over and over. But, thanks for the reminder about renting... hadn't thought of it... I wish we were still picking up an internet signal, because then Stef and I could just watch it in youtube.

Heath Hopkins said...

The Web 2.0 "cool-kids" way of naming things was drop the 'e' from something that ends with 'er' or 'ed'. Like Flickr.com, Tumblr, Pluggd, Talkr, Anothr, yada-yada. :)

Just for you:

So I stopped to find out what was going on.
(How does it feel when you've got no food ?)
'Cause the spirit of Jah, you know he leads you on
(How does it feel when you've got no food ?)
There was a ring of dreads and a session was there in swing
(How does it feel when you've got no food ?)
You could feel the chill as I seen and heard them say
(How does it feel when you've got no food ?)

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side
It a gonna burn, give me music make me jump and prance
It a go done, give me the music make me rock in the dance

Have your pranced today? ;)

Nilla said...

Ahhh!!! Cooker. Hahah... for Betty Crocker ;). Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to fit librarian with all of them! (and so now the pie one makes even more sense, though I thought it was clever like it was referencing a book (well, a poem in a book)).

I prance everywhere I go. It spreads joy and laughter ;). (Just kidding!)

Nilla said...

Oh yeah, and I really liked the SHHHHH one. I think that one is the best, actually. Because it's so hilarious to think about putting that on a librarian's car tag.

Heath Hopkins said...

I thought it would be cool to put a math equation on one. It's hard to find good equations that don't require postscript and fit into 7 or 8 chars.

I was thinking Euler's equation:
e^(j*pi) - 1
where j is the same as i, the square root of negative one. I always found it so strange that this evaluates to 0. We've got two irrational numbers and an imaginary number yet it becomes an integer. It's very strange.

E JPI -1
That's 8 chars, but I could leave off the -1, and it would still keep it's meaning. You couldn't reconstruct the equation from this, but fellow nerds would recognize it. What do you think?

Nilla said...

I emailed the suggestions to Donna and this was her reply:

Wow - thanks for all the suggestions.
I actually like Liberry! Or Shhh!

Those are better than 'Go2Bama' on a Troy University tag!
Or I could look up the dewey decimal classification for chocolate and put that on the tag! Or since my car is a VUE I could put 'vue this' or 'vue you' or 'CMYVUE'
How about 'N2Books'? hmm - I think I like that one!


Hahahaa... She cracks me up. Especially the "vue you" one.

Heath Hopkins said...

Go2Bama ?!? That's a curse like go to heck. :P I'd better watch out before she does some Vue Do on me. :)

Nilla said...

I'm sorry to say it, but I think that whole equation thing makes you a nerd ;). Which makes you a double nerd: computer and math.

I think I'm a tad tainted with math nerd too, since I know that you pronounce that "Oiler's". Turns out I DID learn stuff in all those math classes!

Also, you might want to recall that Donna got her MLIS from here too ;). I think she was trying to give advice, not curse them ;).

How about: BOO2AU

Hahahaha!!!

Heath Hopkins said...

I think you have a typo in your last comment. The last two characters are reversed. It should read BOO2UA. This is a common sign of dyslexia. :P

Nilla said...

And I think you're a punk ;)

Tarylyn said...

samuel was telling you the part where alvin sucks in a helium balloon's helium and then says "major rockstars" like he's on steroids or something, sounded so macho ;)