Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nilla Crocker

Since yesterday was my early day, I took the opportunity of a long afternoon at home to do some baking. I had bought a white cake mix a couple months back because it was buy one get one free at Publix. I had really wanted yellow cake, but they didn't have it... So, I settled on white. But the more I thought about making white cake, the less exciting it seemed. White cake is only good when you get it in the form of a deliciously iced (or frosted) birthday cake from a bakery. So, I started looking around at my favorite recipe site and searched for recipes with the ingredient: white cake mix. And voila! I found one that sounded yumm-o (to quote Rachael Ray). This was a chocolate banana cake. It was very easy, and I already had most of the ingredients. And let me just say, it was delicious! I have also been craving granola. So, I thought it might be neat to make my own granola. So, once again, I searched allrecipes.com and came up with an easy-sounding recipe to try. I guess it came out okay... Not as store-bought granola-y tasting as I had hoped it would be... But it's not bad. It's a bit cinnamon-y, since that's what the recipe called for... Stefanie said she really likes it. I might try to tweak it a bit. Or I might give a new recipe a try... We'll see ;).

While making my granola, I worked on catching up with Lost. I haven't watched that show for 2 seasons, so I went and rented the first 4 episodes of season 3. Man that's expensive... $4.30 to rent it, and it only has 4 episodes on it. Yikes! I wish the public library here carried more tv show DVDs for rent. Oh well... Anyway, I'm sucked back into the show now.

Then Virginia came over and she, Stefanie, and I had family home evening. Stefanie made some lemon basil pasta for dinner and then we had that chocolate banana cake that I baked. Very yummy :). So, not an entirely eventful Monday afternoon... But, a lovely relaxing one nonetheless! I do love to go home early!

Oh, and I've decided I'm going to create a photobucket album specifically for my food pictures. Just thought I'd tell you. I haven't done it yet... But I'm going to :).

*And Heath guessed the movie quote correctly!*

10 comments:

Tarylyn said...

bill and ted's excellent adventure ;P

Anonymous said...

12:30 am - Best time to go to WalMart 364 days a year. Exception: Day after Thanksgiving.

JAH

Nilla said...

I will say this about going at that time... that's when the weirdos go ;). Heath and I used to go there at that time at night when we were dating and we ran into some of the crazies from the library (like Grabin). If you are a library person, JAH, you'll know about whom I speak.

Also, someone else said that's when they stock shelves, so that can be a hassle too.

Kira =] said...

best time for Wal-Mart is wednesday night about 7 or 8. all the kids are at church activities. It's a lot quieter. We found that out by accident and we shoot for it now on purpose. =]

Katherine Ronachert said...

i can't stand walmart.
grr.
but that could be that it's because that's all there is out here. it wasn't so bad in nj when there were other stores to choose.

Nilla said...

Yeah, I always said there'd come a day when shopping in Wal-Mart wasn't done out of necessity :). That day hasn't arrived yet! It is super-convenient, though... One-stop shopping.

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh, i agree. totally convenient. but i still harbor ill feelings towards it!

Nilla said...

Yeah, I'm with you... I was just thinking about how easy it is to go to one place. Who knows... if it ever happens in my life where Wal-Mart shopping is not a necessity, I might still do it just for the sake of convenience!!!

wilkinson family said...

lol, having babies with colic, I find that the best time to go to wal-mart is between 2-4am, only stockers and cashiers. needless to say I spent a lot of time there and i know several of those employees by name and family history. lol

movie guess: bill and ted's excellent adventure or bill and ted's bogus adventure since it was said in both. mmmm....maybe i'll go rent those now that you made me feel nostalgic.

wilkinson family said...

do you mind if i add you to my blog list?