Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Mystery... and other Stuff

Okay, so who is JAH? I know I should know. I don't think it's Julia-Ann. But maybe it is. It will drive me insane all day. I recognize the initials. I have no idea though. I do want you to know, however, whoever you are... When you said you hope to see me in LA next time I go... My first thought was, "Who is this wacko? I've never been to Los Angeles!" And then it occurred to me that LA = lower Alabama (ie Dothan). So, JAH, you are not a wacko after all ;). Although you probably don't like me much now, since I can't figure this out. I probably shouldn't admit it. But, as I know myself quite well (I should, given the 27 years I've inhabited this body), I know this will make me crazy. And don't be mean and not tell me just to make me crazy ;). Crazy Hila is not so good.

So, I had my first class last night. Sometimes it really amazes me. I am so glad that things worked out this way. That I didn't take this required class earlier. That I put it off until now. Even though I had a slight heart attack when I thought I wasn't going to graduate, since they initially weren't offering this class this summer... I'm so glad I survived all that to get to this class. This teacher is so nice. She's so laid back. She's so realistic. And I learned something. (And it never hurts to get out of class about 50 minutes early). Even so, we were in there for over 3 hours and the time flew! The first thing we did was determine our learning style. Apparently I fall between a 2 and a 3 (I'm slightly more of a 2). 2s are by the book. We need organization. We are traditional. We don't come up with new stuff (like s'mores layouts). We stick with what works and, as one person said, "We stand on the shoulders of giants." However, we are prone to be a little dictatorial (oh my gosh! I think my dad has totally accused me of such behavior -- I had better not admit this to him). We do all the research on something before we buy (like a new car). This probably falls in line with another personality test I took once back in 2003. That one told me I was a beaver. I think it was beaver. Anyway, that kind of person likes to read instruction manuals. Doesn't that sound boring??? But, though I can't say it would be my favorite reading... When I am constructing something, I will definitely read the instructions. I don't dive in and figure I can figure it out. I'm very structured. Anyway, it was interesting.

Our final project of the night (group work) was that we had to graphically illustrate different things dealing with technology. See, we are supposed to go over these terms like "internet", LAN, WAN, CD-ROM drive, etc. Rather than lecture at us for 2 hours on those terms -- thank goodness for a woman with some sense! -- she let us break into groups and graphically illustrate these terms. I will have you know I learned what a WAN is in this manner. Please let me introduce you to our graphic representation of a WAN (yes, I took a picture... I would have taken a better one with my actual camera if she hadn't wanted us to leave them plastered on the walls!):We had to have specific things on there (like the WAN server CPU, keyboard, mouse, monitor; the Local client servers, etc...). We used a specific example so we could explain it better to the class. And check out pretty cherry-looking apple. And our pom-pom client servers. I'll have you know I made good use of what the teacher referred to as a fru-fru box.

Aren't you PROUD????

4 comments:

Heath Hopkins said...

What's the big green thing and the blue and yellow thing? How did you come up with your model?

Nilla said...

I sincerely hope you're not implying our model is less-than-stellar. I didn't have access to my once-handy computer nerd ;).

The big green thing is the WAN server CPU. The blue/yellow thing is the WAN server monitor. And the little yellow square and the multi-colored rectangle are our WIRELESS keyboard and mouse ;).

Basically, we had 30 minutes to learn what a WAN was and graphically represent it. I didn't think we did so badly ;).

And I took that picture for you... I thought for sure you'd be so proud. And even though our graphical representation is somewhat lame (i know, I admit it), I do understand a WAN now. At least a little bit.

Virginia said...

I think your display is much cuter than any of these I found at Cisco . . . http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/internetworking/technology/handbook/Intro-to-WAN.html . . . detailed but BORING!!!!!

Nilla said...

They might be boring, but they would have been helpful to have found last night! Something to give us a quick concept that we could then re-create :).

But, I got a thumbs-up from my "computer nerd," so I guess we didn't do too terribly badly ;)!