Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I [was] a Barbie Girl

Yep, another reason for you to love me :). And don't lie and say you didn't listen to that whole thing... AND sing along, word for word.

Anyway, let me run-down for you. Got my oil changed. It's hot and HUMID in Alabama. Which never leaves me feeling particularly Nilla. It actually puts me in about a 2-month bad mood. Hahaha... Viginia, Stefanie, and I had FHE last night. I taught the lesson on faith. I talked to my dad until after 11:00. He cracks me up sometimes. And actually, sometimes I realize that I have the neatest relationship with my dad. He tolerates a lot out of me. But then, I tolerate a lot out of him. Hahaha... It's reciprocal. He told me I'm the spoiled one of the bunch (meaning his 4 kids). I told him I don't agree. I'm still not the star child, though. That honor goes to Brad ;). Because he has kids of his own now and he "understands" what my dad is saying about being a parent. So I like to call Brad the star child. Anyway, I got to work today and found that I'd been accused, not once, but twice, of torturing my brother. Aunt Hila put it in a blog comment. Tarylyn put it in an email. She said I'm an awesome sister (I must agree ;)). And then she said she's glad I wasn't her sister because I would have been torturing her. Hahaha! It's a good thing Brad knows how lucky he is to have a sister like me. I keep life fun and interesting. ;) :) ;).

Okay, so, just because I feel like it... And because I already tortured you with the song (hey, what d'ya know? I do torture people)...

Barbies played a big part of my childhood. The first Barbie I remember having was Dream Glow Barbie (and I always get her name wrong the first time and call her Evening Glow). And I love that you can find so much on youtube.

So, I want to say that I have always been envious of the kids in commercials. All I know is that when I got the very same toys, the places that I played with them weren't nearly as "cool." Also, love how the woman with the voiceover for the commercial quickly (and in the same sweet voice) says that the fabric is special for tv. I'm pretty sure my Barbie's dress didn't glow that much. I think my parasol glowed in the dark, though. It was awesome.

Another Barbie I remember was Peaches n Cream Barbie.

I don't have anything much to say about her. Except that I remember her.

Barbie and the Rockers

Oh yeah... Oh yeah. I know I had Barbie. I know I had one with long brown hair (but maybe she was a different line of Barbie, because I didn't see her in the commercial). I know I had the Ken. And the Ken had "real" hair. It wasn't plastered to his head in painted plastic. He probably came with his own brush. Anyway, how awesomely 80s cool was that commercial. And you don't have to tell me how awesomely 80s cool the dolls were. I already know. The added bonus of this one was that I'm pretty sure it eventually became a cartoon.

Well, there was one other set of Barbie stuff I was looking for. But I couldn't find them on youtube. But, they were these twin babies. They had real hair too. It was a Barbie family, actually. Ken still had plastic painted hair, but he had a wedding ring. So did Barbie. And they had two babies: a girl and a boy. The girl had really frizzy blonde-ish hair. The boy had straight brown hair. And they had huge heads. And they were awfully big babies for Barbie to ever have given birth to. I mean, come on. We all know how skinny she was. It's like she had whale children. I guess you don't have to have realistic toys when you're a child ;). Oh yeah! And even though I never had the doll... There was a pregnant Barbie once. One of my friends had her. After she had the baby, you would just push her stomach into the doll and she was skinny Barbie again.

So, all you women out there (and any of you men who had sisters, you might as well admit that you played with them)... What were your favorite Barbies?

9 comments:

Mrs. S said...

I LOVED barbies. Honestly I still really like them. I wouldn't mind having a collection of them (no, not to play with), but that is completely not practical. I do have a special edition valentines barbie still in the box now. I got her years ago from my mom and have kept her. I also enjoy playing barbies with my neice...but for me I like dressing them and combing their hair. I don't really "play doll". I remember the pregnant barbie, but I never had her. My favorite that I can recall was a wedding barbie with auburn-ish long hair. I thought she was pretty. FYI: Elka and I played baries until I was in 6th grade and she in 9th. If she denies this, she's lying! :). Also, it was I that suggested to her that we were probably a bit too old to be playing barbies. In some of my old scrapbooks I have pictures of "dances" we orchestrated with our barbies. We had a lot of fun! No wonder we didn't want to give it up for so long.

Nilla said...

Hahaha!! THAT is GREAT. Elka's been outed!

That's okay... when I said that about guys admitting it, I had Brad in mind. I do have to give him credit, though... He always made us use his G.I. Joe's while he condescended to play Barbie's with us. Poor guy was outnumbered 2 to 1 with sisters. Ben was already gone. So, if Brad wanted to play, he had to be subjected to Barbies. Poor kid. That brings to mind another memory lane post about Mrs. Logan. Ah... Perhaps this week's posts will be dedicated to memories, at the rate at which I'm going!

Nilla said...

And I don't know why I just made G.I. Joes and Barbies possessive with apostrophes. Or why I feel the need to explain my mistake here. But I feel like I should hang my head in shame for that faux pas.

Hahaha... I'm such an English nerd.

Virginia said...

I had one and only one Barbie and no extra clothes in which to dress her. My family didn't see the need in multiple versions of the same doll. Whine, whine, whine. Of course what I remember about this one sad Barbie is that she was in an accident and one of her boobs was permanently mashed in. Oh wait, my X gave me a graduation Barbie when I finished my PhD but she reminded me too much of his live action Barbies so I tossed her when he left - better than any more unfortunate accidents ;-}

Nilla said...

Okay, that one boob thing is funny. I don't think we ever managed to damage them that way. We did chop off their hair occassionally.

Kira =] said...

i owned several! like upwards of 10. But some were hand me downs from my sisters. I still have like 6 of them. But they're collectibles that stay in their boxes. My favorite was the older Skipper doll. Oh, i still have her, too. But my other favorite was the Kira doll. Oh yes!! I don't know that I'll buy any new ones for Carlise though. And they figured it out- if a woman had the exact body proportions as Barbie, she wouldn't be able to walk. Too top heavy and feet not big enough to support the weight. =]

Virginia said...

Now that I think of it that one boob lady in Kung Pow is funnier now too - neither is exactly what I had in mind for an Amazon! (something about archery)

Tarylyn said...

I actually got a western stampin' barbie a few years ago (well maybe a little more then a few years but we're old now so a few makes me feel young) called taralyn or something like that, i saw it on a commerical, told my mom that i heard them say my name!!! and i got it for christmas.. i actually couldn't stand playing with barbies though, i was a cabage patch doll/kid sister lover ;)

April said...

I loved barbies, too! That was our favorite thing to play. Between me and my sister we had a good amount of dolls and clothes. I had the peaches and cream one, also a Kira doll..oh! and i loved Skipper, too...let's see, i remember something called 'home and office' barbie? maybe? she had a pink velvety business suit, but then you could turn the skirt around and remove the blazer and viola, she was dressed for a night on the town.