Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Our Generation's December 7th

I will post again later with a fun story. I just did not feel that this post should be mixed in with one of a light-hearted nature. Until I looked at cnn.com, I did not remember today's anniversary. In fact, the awful acts of 9/11 occurred on a Tuesday, much like this one. I say that it is like this generation's December 7th (the day Pearl Harbor was attacked), because I think most people remember where they were when they heard the news. I know I do. I was driving home from Calculus class at the community college. I don't remember my exact thoughts at the time, other than at first it was pure shock, as though it couldn't possibly be true (this was probably also experienced by those who learned of the Pearl Harbor attack). I remember going to work that afternoon, and it was one of the few times we were allowed to keep the radio on in the library. I remember the outpouring of patriotism following the attacks of 9/11, the songs on the radio, the way an entire nation pulled together... something that is not common in today's society. I know that I am blessed to have always lived in a free nation, to have all that I have, and to be safe. And I am thankful to those brave soldiers who protect those freedoms and way of life, even at the expense of their own.

No comments: