Monday, September 17, 2007

Hila the "Thief"

Okay, before I explain the meaning behind my title, let me fill you in on the less exciting stories of my life. (Of course, I say that and make it sound the like the thief story is a tale of suspense and adventure, which it isn't, so sorry to disappoint.) It was truly a wonderful weekend. Simply because I did pretty much nothing but stay home. Oh, Friday, we had a tornado warning, which means they had spotted a tornado in the county. So a siren (on top of my building) starts to sound and everyone has to go down to the first floor and wait for the all-clear. I was in the middle of working on stuff and when I heard the siren go off, I said aloud, "Oh crap." Then I started laughing because it's just so funny that that was my reaction. The reason it was, though, is because I have learned from past experience that you just never know when you will actually be able to return to your desk, so that means that you shut down your computer and pack up everything, or else you're stuck hanging around, even though you might be off work. So, knowing I was due to leave in 45 minutes, I had to shut down everything. So that was Friday's excitement. Saturday I slept until 9 and it felt wonderful. Then I spent the day cleaning house. I got a lot accomplished. There was a football game being played here, so I didn't even attempt to leave. If I had, I wouldn't have had a parking place when I returned. It's crazy, believe me. Saturday night I baby-sat for my friend Jeni. Her son Ethan is cute. He calls me "Hiwa." And Sunday I went to church. Did I mention that I am now the nursery leader here? On average, we have about 20 children, ages 1 1/2 to 3 each Sunday. It can be chaos at times, but the kids are so awesome. They are super-sweet and so funny.

Oh, one story about my nephew Sam. Okay, Christina has started leaving Desiree with Tarylyn when she (Christina) has to go to work. Well, Sam and Desiree are only 8 months apart, so they are pretty tight and they have been dubbed "the partners in crime." Well, Christina showed up on Friday to pick up Desiree, and Brad (my brother) tells me that, when Samuel saw Christina come through the door, he turned to Desiree and said, "Desiree, you're not leaving." He's mighty bossy. But I guess it's a clear sign that they are buds and I think it's cute and good for both of them to have a cousin so close in age. And Saria has started 1st grade (which is unbelievable) and is loving it.
sorry the pic is so big... I couldn't get it to be clickable to enlarge in another window

Okay, NOW for the story about Hila the "thief". So, I decided to develop some more of my pictures from this past year that I haven't gotten around to having developed. (I say developed, but they are from a digital camera, so I don't know what the word should be.) I chose 6 pictures I wanted printed (maybe that's a better word) and did my shopping and came back to pick them up. The lady pulls my envelope and says, "oh yeah..." And she opens it, pulls out a picture, and says, "We can't give you this one." I look at it, with what I am sure is a look of consternation, and say, "Why not?" Well, the reason is copyright stuff. And I'm thinking, "Surely she doesn't think this is a professional picture?!? So, look long and hard at the picture above, because that's the one Wal-Mart wouldn't give me. Do you see any reason that Wal-Mart wouldn't give me this picture? Because when she said that, I sure couldn't. Then she pointed out the professional pictures in the background and told me that Wal-Mart could not make copies of pictures of professional and copyrighted pictures. And, she informed me, "besides, the head is cut off on the person." I guess that was more evidence that the real reason I wanted the picture was for the framed, copyrighted pictures on the end table and in the background. Have we not reached a new low in society? Anyway, so you can all understand that I did NOT want this picture for the copyrighted photos, I will explain. About a year ago, I went for an interview for a job at a public library. My friend Donna gave me $100 to buy a new interview suit. I found that suit that I'm wearing for like $40+. It was awesome. And I was able to buy the red shirt, the nylons, the earrings, and the shoes all with that $100. Well, I have never before owned something that sophisticated (yes, to me that is sophisticated), so when I got all dressed up, I wanted to take a picture. Well, I was the only one home at Julie's parents' house (I lived with them for about 5 months after my divorce) and so I had to use the timer and try to line up the shot. Which mean I had to find a place big enough to move back so I would be in the frame. Okay, so my head is chopped off on the top. But, I was TRYING to get me in the suit, so that didn't bother me, because my face could still be seen. Anyway, the framed photos were not my interest, and I don't see how anyone could think I was trying to "steal" the copyrighted photos!! I didn't get mad, of course. It wasn't the lady's fault that Wal-Mart makes them be so persnickety. She was just trying to cover herself, and I understand that. I just never dreamed that something like this could happen. I mean, are we supposed to check all around us before taking a picture now to make sure there are no professional pictures in the background??? Crazy. I guess I'll have to find another way of printing that picture...

No comments: