Thursday, February 7, 2008

Weather... How Bizarre

So, for the past 2 days, maybe even 3, we were pretty much walking around in short sleeves here. The weather had warmed up into the 70s (and I think Tuesday got into the 80s). Then this morning, I went outside and saw my car iced over. We really do have nutty weather here.

Virginia made a Greek salad yesterday, so we ate that plus breadsticks for dinner, and plus I made smoothies for dessert. I took a picture of our lovely salad, but I forgot my camera at home this morning. Hopefully I'll remember it tomorrow and I can post it then. And aside from spending the evening working on taking notes for my long paper, I didn't really do anything exciting.

That said.... How about a funny memory?

This one hails from the summer of 1997. I was all of 16 years old. My mom, Brad, Christina, and I were in Dothan visiting for a few weeks. And my cousin Tatiana lived about 3 hours away in Valdosta, Georgia. So, I got to spend a week of my vacation with Tatiana in Valdosta. That was a very fun week. Tatiana was a student at the university there, and she also worked part time for the university's police department as a patroller. Basically, she would go around locking up campus buildings at night. Well, the nature of her job meant she had to work late, like 10 at night to 2 in the morning. She had gotten permission for me to be able to go to work with her during that week. And that is how I met Angie-leak. I remember a lot of fun was had on that trip. For example, we would team up with Angie (both Tatiana and Angie would be assigned different parts of campus to secure), which they weren't technically supposed to do, and we would have the best time. Angie's 22nd birthday fell during that week, so we actually all climbed on top of the Fine Arts building and had a mini-birthday party up there. It was a tad scary, but it's a great memory. We had to make sure no cars were around when we were walking back and forth from the entrance to the roof to where we were having the party. Yeah, I was such a rebel. Tatiana got a perm in her hair that Angie kept telling her smelled like Fritos. Anyway, there were a lot of laughs. And I made a new friend in Angie. Well, so the last night I was there, I wanted to do something special, because I'd had such a great time, and I wanted to show my appreciation to Tatiana and Angie. So, I bought a whole bunch of snacky foods (are you surprised that it involved food??) such as doritos, sodas, pinwheels. And so Angie and Tatiana decided one of them would sign up to use the car that night and then we'd all meet up at a spot somewhere and we'd all ride around in the car and lock up all the buildings. Keep in mind they are not supposed to be together... So, we go riding around, eating junk food and laughing hysterically. Okay, so at one point we decided to order pizza. I guess they had done this before. They would call in the order and tell the pizza people to deliver it to the big student parking lot and said they would be in a white campus car in the middle of the lot. How hilarious is that? And it worked! So, there we were, sitting in the huge parking lot, eating pizza, when Angie and Tatiana decide it's time for them to call in the buildings they have secured up to that point. So, Angie goes first, and Tatiana and I are very quiet, so dispatch won't know they are together. Well, Tatiana waits a few moments, and then she calls hers in. Well, right in the middle of her talking, Angie lets out this ginormous belch. And then Angie starts laughing, so I am trying not to laugh, and so is Tatiana. Well, dispatch knew it was Angie and said, "504 and 5--(whatever Angie's number was), you are not supposed to be together!" They didn't get into trouble. But it was hilarious.

But this story tops them all. Same night. Not sure if it was after the pizza burp or before. But we're riding around and we pull up to the Student Union building. Well, that is in Tatiana's area, so she gets out of the car to lock it up and says to me, "Don't let Angie do anything to my drink." Apparently there was some history there. So, Angie just can't help herself. She puts a dorito into Tat's coke. And Angie's laughing (as am I) and she's like, "Okay, we have to stop laughing, or she's going to know!" We were so unsuccessful and just could not stop smiling. So, Tatiana gets back into the car, sees Angie's face, and says, "Hila, what did she do?" And I'm like, "Nothing." Well, of course she doesn't believe us. Now, here's the great part. The song "How Bizarre" is playing in the background on the radio. Now, Tatiana had previously admitted to me that she loved this song; that it was one of her favorites. So, while trying to convince Tatiana that Angie had not done anything to her soda, it pops into my mind to say, "Really. We're laughing because I just told Angie that this is one of your favorite songs." Well, Angie, of course, had never heard this before. So Angie starts laughing even harder and gives Tatiana this look of "Are you crazy?" And Tatiana is like, "What? I really do like this song!" And so, she buys our story and we drive on and suspicion has been eliminated. And something like 10 minutes later, Tatiana finally gets her soggy surprise. And she exclaims "Ew Angie!" and pulls the soggy dorito out of her mouth. And, truthfully, Angie and I had forgotten all about the dorito by this time, and so we busted out laughing, after we realized what she was eww-ing about, that is :). So, that led to another stanza of my friend poem:
Angie always keeps me laughing
While we're driving in a VSU car.
And when she plays a trick on Tatiana,
We smile and think, "How bizarre."

No comments: