Friday, February 8, 2008

Just a Big Facade

Well, since I have my camera with me, let me quickly post a picture of Wednesday night's salad:I do love a good salad. Oh yeah, and there's probably another Nilla Life lesson in this picture. So, here you are. How to be a Nilla 103. Serving platters are not necessary if the foil on which you baked the breadsticks works. This also applies to other food. It is OKAY to serve the food out of the pot or pan in which it was prepared. No sense in dirtying up more dishes!

Okay, I am safe from the IRS for another year! Yay! Also, they owe me a significant chunk of change, so I am looking forward to that. Because of them, I should be credit card debt free in April. However, I was also sad to discover that I do, in fact, "owe" the state of Alabama $40. Actually, $43 to be exact. I've never had to pay the state! And honestly, I think they should waive that, because I think the extra little hint of vaNILLA that I add to the state of Alabama is more than equal to $43. :). Also, that link is to this hilarious episode of Frasier, which I mentioned before in my blog about my visit to Julie's. That link will take you to the whole episode. But it starts out funny. And the part for which I really linked it is about mid-way into the episode when Frasier is telling what he puts in his bath water. For those of you who can't or don't want to watch the whole thing (it's 10 minutes into the clip), it's a "littleTahitian vanilla". Hahaha!!! I love Frasier!

Okay, and check this out. This is what it is like to be the Nilla student. (I shouldn't admit this, since it's proof I'm an awful student...). Okay, so we were told to pick 5 'themes' around which to create programs to improve a fictional public library. Now, in my defense, she did tell those of us who were presenting last night (one of whom was me) that we didn't have to worry about doing this. So, at the start of last night's class, she told us to go into our groups (keep in mind we are online in this class) and compare the five things we each chose and then come to a consensus for the top 5 for our group and we would return to the main classroom. And of course, we had to pick a spokesperson for our group. Well, my group gets into our "breakout room" and we all just sit there in silence for a while. And finally the topic of who is going to be the spokesperson comes up. So, I tell my group that I don't mind talking (understatement of the year) if they tell me what to say. So everyone is happy with that. Well, it becomes quickly apparent that there was a set list of things we were supposed to look at, because everyone is listing off the same wording. So much for mine and April's (who is also in my group) chance at winging it! So, I kind of throw in the three I chose and give reasons for that (I was supposed to have chosen 5, keep in mind). And then I divert my attention to something else when others are talking. And then one of the girls in the group says, "Okay, so you have all that Hila?" And yeah. Then it suddenly dawns on me that I am the one doing the spokesperson thing, so I really should have been listening and taking notes, right? So, I get our group to discuss it again to "make sure I have it all straight" and then we head back into the classroom. And I comment to April privately that I sure do have a big mouth. What was I thinking volunteering myself when I wasn't prepared in the first place, and then ignoring the discussion after the fact? I mean how stupid is that? And April writes me back and says, "No! You sound really confident when you talk!" And so I told her, "well, now you know it was all just a big facade." Okay, and for those of you who don't know where that line comes from, it's My Fellow Americans. That is one hilarious movie. So, we're group one, so we get to go first. So, I do my little thing and present one of the five and then we're supposed to talk about programs we discussed in our group that we would use to try to achieve these objectives. Well shoot! We didn't talk about that, at least not to my recollection. So I'm just making stuff up! But the teacher is impressed (thank goodness for many years of experience in public libraries!) and she moves on to the next group. So I take a deep breath and sit back. And before you know it, she's back to me! What?!? I thought I was done after the first one! So then I have to name another objective and a program we'd implement for that! AAAHH! So, I wing it again. And, wouldn't you know it, she comes back to me a 3rd time! Only, right after I say my 3rd one, she decides to ask if we want to keep going with this and everyone says no. Well, I had to go 3 whole times!!! Nobody else did! And I was probably the LEAST prepared! The good news is that, by the 3rd time around, my group was writing me little notes of encouragement, telling me I was doing great! I guess they knew I was winging it, since I kept saying, "Well, for creating young readers, our group thought implementing like a summer reading program would create incentive for the children to want to read." We so did not talk about a summer reading program. I'm so full of it. But it sounded good, right :)? Let's just say I was glad when that little exercise was over. And let's just say I'm never going to volunteer myself for something when I'm not prepared again. Oh yeah, and then I had to do my presentation on my notes for my 18 page paper. So... The other two people who went had power point slides and stuff. All pretty. I just slapped my notes in the word document up on the screen (we have an app share program so everyone could see what was on my desktop). The teacher said we just had to have something for everyone to look at, and that it didn't have to be a power point. Yeah, so I totally took her at her word. Oh yeah, and it's really embarassing when you are going over your notes (which everyone can see) and you come across a misspelled word. Which, of course, is underlined in RED, thanks to Microsoft Word 2007. But, I acknowledged it verbally and said, "Yeah, I have a misspelled word. That's pretty bad."

Well, there you have it. I am a really bad student. At least I don't try to claim to be otherwise ;).

No comments: