Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Facts of [the Nilla] Life

Well, you take the good... You take the bad... You take 'em bolth... And there you have...

Okay, that was just for you 80s fans out there. I loved that show. My favorite was Jo. She was the prettiest, in my opinion.

However, that is totally unrelated to the facts of the Nilla life. I am only going to share one thing, and then I am going to do a fun story from the past. Okay, they have posted the classes being offered for this summer. I have one required class left to graduate. It is the computer-related class. So far, it is not on the list of the class offerings. Yeah, so, that means that if it does not appear on there at some point, I will not be graduating in August. Which also means I will not move to WA until December at the earliest. I cannot lie and say I am not slightly sweating this and slightly bummed. For one thing, finding a new apartment will not be among my more favorite chores, if I should have to stay here. However, I know that I will be led where I need to be. I have watched it happen in my life before, which is how I got here. I know the path will be made clear for me so that I am where I need to be. So, I will be sitting back and working hard on trusting that (I am the worst at letting doubt and anxiety creep in). The irony I have found in my life is that, sometimes, it's easier to know something than it is to believe something. You'd think it'd be the other way around. And a lot of times it is. But sometimes I come across this weird little paradox in my life... Just thought I'd share. So, one reason I mention this is for the benefit of my fellow family reunion planners. I would still totally be there for the reunion, of course, regardless of where I was actually living at the time. It just puts a little kink in the original lodging plans. But, then again, I might very well be jumping the gun. They might add that class to the list after all. I will keep you all posted.

Okay, so let's go with childhood movie-star (or famous) crushes. This ought to make me laugh.

The first crush I can remember (as far as famous ones) has to be the one and only Kirk Cameron. Yeah, he was such a dream-boat (haha!). Loved the show Growing Pains (still do, for that matter). I remember his posters and such in Tiger Beat magazine and other such things. My parents never bought those for me, but my friend Summer's parents did. Yep. Kirk Cameron. If we want to go in order, the next one that comes to mind is particularly embarrassing. He was the one and only Goblin King. And I have no idea why, but Cathleen and I used to argue over who got to be his girlfriend. (As I sit here cringing now). And we used to especially fight over him in the part where he sings "Magic Dance." You want a true 80s moment? I can remember Cathleen and I wanted to have this song on cassette, so we held up her little mini-boombox type thing in front of the TV speaker and recorded it off the movie that way. Yeah, I bet you can guess we had great quality. Oh, and this movie is a lot freakier than you probably remember. I took it over to Julie's a few years back for Alysha to watch it. It was pretty scary! Julie said the same thing about this movie she used to love called Dark Crystal. Funny that they seem so much more dark and sinister now that we are adults... Okay, by this time, you have probably finished watching the Magic Dance. And I know you (if you are of the female persuasion) can now totally understand my attraction to David Bowie in that ;). What was WRONG with me? Okay, on the up-side, I was discussing this blog post with my classmate Andrea last night and told her about this, and she said, "yeah, David Bowie was kind of fine in that movie." So, now I don't feel so bad ;). Wasn't he a hottie? Especially the eyebrows and hair. (I want you all to know that I will be teased mercilessly by Brad from here on out for sharing this... See the lengths to which I will go to entertain you all?)

Okay, so probably not long after this, and maybe even at the same time, the New Kids on the Block became a huge force in my life. I was a deprived child, because my parents weren't big on wasting money on NKOTB dolls, bedding, and everything else under the sun that came out with them on it. At the time, I am sure that was a real tragedy. (Oh, I happen to know Julie had some of the stuff :)). My friend Krista had two of the dolls. Jordan ("my man") and Donnie ("Julie's man"). Of course, I didn't know Julie back then. If I had been playing with Julie with those dolls, there wouldn't have been a fight. I'd have Jordan, she'd have Donnie. Alas, it was Krista, and so we always fought over who got to have the Jordan doll be the boyfriend of her Barbie... Yeah, good times. (Coincidentally, Krista and I also argued over who got to "be" Andi from the Goonies). Anyway, Jordan was the hottest New Kid, in my estimation. Well, in my estimation at the time. I look at pictures of him from back then now, and I think: what was I thinking? He was so not hot! Okay, I might have shared this before, but it is soooo funny. So, Julie and I bought a VHS copy of NKOTB's Hangin' Tough Tour at a thrift store for $1 back in September 2006. We watched it. We laughed our booties off, I have to say. But I made the comment about how Jordan was so not attractive, and what did I ever see in him? Well, then Alysha walked into the room (she was 10 at the time), saw Jordan on the TV and said, "Ooo, who's he? He's hot!" Oh my gosh I busted out laughing. I guess it has to do with the age. If you are 10, you will find Jordan Knight to be totally hot. I'm still totally going to try to see them if they do a reunion tour. (Good grief... He looks like a little kid! How old am I?)
And lastly... So, there was this "awesome" show on USA Network back in the mid-90s. It was called Pacific Blue. Christina and I watched it for the plot-line. Really, it's true. Okay, so the first guy you see, Jim Davidson. Yeah, he was a hottie. And that's why Christina and I really watched it. And, as seems to be par for the course, Christina and I argued over whose man he was. I think I lived in a place not called reality when I was younger ;). Also, if you watched that little intro for Pacific Blue all the way to the end, you can see what "Slider" looked like in the mid-90s. Who's Slider? Have you not ever seen Top Gun? He's the best looking guy (bod-wise) in the famous volleyball scene. Oh yeah, and he's also Ice-Man's flying buddy.
Now, that's all I can come up with at the moment. Well, truthfully, there was one other guy over whom Christina and I used to argue. And I searched youtube for this (he was a nameless commercial actor). He was some hottie on an Old Spice commercial circa 1997. What makes me remember this guy is this: We called him the "Old Spice Guy". So, that year (it was actually 1998 by this time), Christina and I went to Girls' Camp with church and my mom went with us. Well, there was a first-aid presentation to which we were supposed to be paying attention. There were two guys doing the presentation, one of them was a younger cute guy, and the other one was an older man. So, Christina and I started arguing over the younger cute guy (I guess I can't ever say I was never boy crazy... Somehow I thought I'd skipped that). So, while Christina was arguing for him, I got the brilliant idea to say, "Okay, fine. You can have him. I get the Old Spice Guy." So then Christina was like, "No! I get the Old Spice Guy!" And so my mom, trying to hush us up, and having only heard part of the argument, says to Christina, "Okay, fine, you can have the Old Spicey One, just be quiet!" Well, my mom actually thought we were arguing over the old man doing the presentation, so she totally gifted Christina with the Old Spicey One who was showing us first-aid. Ha! We laughed so hard. I think I'm going to have to call Christina and have her read this post tonight....

So, there you have it. Some of my famous crushes from my childhood. I was such a dork.

Okay, I am adding this in the afternoon. Because this is hilarious. So, I was talking to my co-worker William and told him about my youthful crush on David Bowie. He said he knew lots of girls who felt that way. Then he told me he has the Labyrinth soundtrack. (I really don't know why William admits some of the things he admits... This is the same guy who thinks Xanadu was a great movie -- and he owns it). He said the "Magic Dance" song is on there. Who knew?? So then I start wondering if you can find it on playlist... Well, the answer is yes. So, now it's on my playlist. Hahaha. Yep, I'm even more of a dork now. But who cares?

7 comments:

Kira =] said...

lol! I love Labyrinth and Dark Crystal (character named Kira?) of course my mom bought just about everything Jim Henson did. Seriously. David Bowie? rofl. =] obviously we all love you, even when you tell us these tidbits about you. Now, I bet my sisters would agree with you about David Bowie.

Nilla said...

Yes, what can I say? I guess I wouldn't be me if not for that short-lived (and inexplicable) crush on David Bowie. Turns out I still like some of his music, so at least there's that :). But, I sure do love to give people a great big laugh ;).

wilkinson family said...

my baby sis, kira, told me about your blog on the 80's so I had to come read it. Of course I have to agree with the David Bowie thing, he was just so hot as the goblin king, even to this day when i watch it with my kids, I still think he is cute. Of course I think my first crush from Tiger Beat(which mom didn't buy) was Henry Winkler as the Fonz (he was in his 20's)and I still love to watch Happy Days just to see him in his tight pants and "bad boy" attitude. Then there is NKOTB, while mom might not have bought all their stuff (in fact none of it), she and dad did buy JaNae and I tickets to see them in concert and drove us about 4 hrs, just to get to the concert. At14 and 13 we were thrilled to go to our 1st concert, go in by ourselves, and most esp. to see NKOTB, we even got money for shirts!! Needless to say we were the envy of our school. lol

Nilla said...

Haha! That's great! Okay, I'll admit, I've blog-stalked your blog through Kira's :). Yeah, my dad would probably give me a lecture about wasting money to put it into the pockets of a bunch of guys who care nothing about me if I were to tell him that I plan to try to attend the NKOTB reunion tour, should it happen. But, I'm a big girl now, so if I want to "waste" my money on that, I can -- it is, after all, my money! :). And the memories would live on forever! Haha!!!

Nilla said...

Oh, and where was the concert for NKOTB all those years ago??? Any chance it was in Birmingham? Or Atlanta? Because maybe they'll go there again and I could go, if I'm still in the area!

Kira =] said...

Ok, and just what is wrong with Xanadu? I own the soundtrack. I haven't watched it in years, but the roller disco scene (with spray-on sweat) still cracks me up. =] Of course, I love it because I was named after Olivia Newton-John's character and it has Gene Kelly in it. =]

Nilla said...

What can I say? I borrowed it from William about a year ago and I was not impressed! It's about a bunch of people roller-skating. Ugh! Terrible and corny acting! ;). I respect your right to like that movie ;). I just do not share your affinity for it :)!!! Loveya, Kira!