Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Birthday!

To Abraham Lincoln!

Haha... Just kidding. Well, it is his birthday. But that's not who I am really going to discuss today. Because, at least in my life, there are other important people to celebrate first. One of them is 23. She's my sassier, saucier, more outspoken, more independent "little" sister ;). The other one is probably lining up right behind those descriptions. I can vouch for the little miss independent syndrome being strong in her as well. Even at 3. So, to Christina and Desiree,

Happy Birthday!!! (Isn't it so cool that Christina shares the same birthday with her daughter! 20 years apart!).

Christina
I always told my parents they should have known from the start that Christina was going to be head-strong and independent. She was the only one of my parents' 4 children who was born on her due date, and that was because she'd tied her umbilical cord in a knot, so my mom had to be induced. I think, even then in the womb, Christina was thinking, "Now, what can I do to get myself out of these cramped quarters. I'm sick of sitting here doing and seeing nothing. Oh! I know, let's see what happens when we start twisting this thing..." And the rest, as they say, is history. I want you to realize I'm choosing pictures that will give you an idea of Christina's personality. She's inquisitive (hence the baby picture, where you can just look at her face and tell she's trying to figure something out... Either that or she has been interrupted for the picture and she's none too thrilled about it and is tolerating the photographer :)). In the second one... There is no doubt. She just looks mischievious. That was her school picture that year. How great is that? Furthermore, that picture goes right in line with the story I'm about to share about Christina, because I would guess that the story took place right around that time. I don't think I've shared this story before, so if I have, forgive me. But you have been warned... Expect repetition :).

Years ago, my mom took college classes at Panama Canal College. Ben must have already moved away, either that or he had a job in the afternoons. So, since Brad, Christina, and I were too young to stay home alone at the time, we had to go with my mom after we got done with school. We didn't go into the classroom with her (I'm sure we would have been a serious distraction... I'm also sure we were a serious distraction as it was, since I remember some of the stuff we did). We would sit in the student lounge "doing homework" while my mom was in class. Usually Christina had toys with her, and I'm sure Brad and I usually played with her. Well, usually every day while we were in there, at some point, a bunch of college kids would come in there. It was usually the same group. They'd all go sit down and laugh and visit. And every single day, about 5 or 10 minutes after the rest of this group, this one guy would come in and loudly proclaim, "Hola!" (which means hello). And they would all laugh, and he'd go sit down with his group of friends and they'd have a grand old time. (I'm pretty sure I've told you this before, by the way, but oh well... I'm committed to it now, so I'm going to finish it :)). Well, one day after this guy's "Hola!" I made the comment to Brad that one day I was going to yell back "Adios!" (which means good-bye) after he came in and yelled that. I would never have done that, of course. I'm a big talker. Christina, however, isn't just a big talker. She can deliver. And she overheard my comment. So, imagine our shock when the next time the guy walked into the room and yelled, "Hola!", Christina unabashedly called back, "Adios!" I swear there was a moment of silence where everyone turned and looked at Christina. I wish I could remember the look on her face. And then the whole room busted out laughing. This was the ice-breaker that led those students to start asking us why we were in there. And I'll never forget when they asked us if we were all brother and sisters. And Christina, with complete confidence in her answer, said, "Well, they are (referring to me and Brad), but I was found under a rock." Ah Christina. I think she got that one a little confused, since I would rather be birthed than found under a rock ;). But, she made it clear that, although we were always together, she was not related to us! Of course, Brad and I used to tell her that Mom and Dad found her in the want ads under the heading "Vicious Beast." That used to make her so mad. I'm afraid I do have to claim her, however, as I've been told she and I look alike. And really, I'm not afraid to claim her. I'm mostly proud that she's my sister :).


DesireeWhat can I possibly say about my cute little munchkin? She is definitely following in her mommy's footsteps as far as being independent is concerned. Christina wrote a recent blog about how she has to tell Desiree that cleaning her plate does not include dumping the stuff in the garbage. That she is supposed to eat the food. It cracks me up that Christina has to qualify that to a 2 (now 3) year old, which means that little girl had previously figured out that that is a way to clean her plate without having to eat it. And, much like Christina, Desiree might have been more than ready to join the world. Only she decided she was going to show up 3 weeks early. She was always a very good baby. We took her to Seattle and she hardly cried that whole day when our plane was delayed 5 hours in Birmingham. She was a "go-with-the-flow" kind of baby. And she knew what was good (chocolate). This picture was on her first birthday. And this next one is from Halloween 2007. She is just growing too fast!
So Happy Birthday to two of my favoritest people :). I love you both!!!

Oh, and totally not related to the rest of this post, turns out Stefanie had 3 hair straighteners, so she gave me one. So now Stefanie rocks! And now I have straight hair. And now it doesn't look like it did yesterday :).

4 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

happy birthday, christina & desiree! of course, it would be wiser to comment on her blog.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to both of you! I love these stories and the pictures! Love, Aunt Hila

Katherine Ronachert said...

you were so right. the map is absolutely cool. i have international visitors, but i believe it has something to do with my last entry of "el's empire"? maybe somebody just searched for empire? thanks! you are the best!

Christina said...

This week's movie quote is Bed of Roses, with Christian Slater & Mary Stuart Masterson. Thank you Hila for the stroll down memory lane, as you know, I couldn't stop laughing while reading my birthday post. I love you so much. What would I do without you?