Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pink... It's my Favorite Crayon

Yep, a music title... Aren't you proud? So, here's Pink, courtesy of Aerosmith (Okay, if you want to hear it, search for it in youtube. I didn't watch it yesterday when I linked it. I just watched it today at work, and YIKES! I don't remember it being that bad.)

Once I got to April's on Friday afternoon, the first order of business (after going to Wal-Mart to buy ingredients and finding Valentine's Day candy 50% off, so I had to buy some of that...) was to start making the oreo truffles. This was an adventure, since April didn't have a very large mixing bowl and the cookies kept flying everywhere. But, I was finally successful at mixing the cream cheese and the cookies. April took these two pictures of me making the oreo balls (and in picture 1, I'm totally cheesing):April thought it was hilarious that I have them in neat little rows. After I was done making these, they had to freeze to harden up. So April and I just gabbed for a while. Then I got a shower, and then I started working on melting the chocolate. So, I got the white chocolate melted and started dipping the truffles. And, of course, I had made several of them before I remembered the food coloring! So, we ended up with 3 different colors of truffles. Because I also ran out of the white/pink chocolate. So, we had some that were white, some that were pink, and some that were chocolate (dipped in semi-sweet chocolate). They were beautiful nonetheless :). Then we had to start preparing the rest of the food. April got going on her mashed potato pie (we dyed the mashed potatoes pink). We got the ice cubes crushed (April did double-duty by crushing the ice while getting buff muscles by using her weight to crush the ice):We were using the ice for the Sunset Cooler. This consisted of orange juice mixed with strawberry syrup and then crushed ice. No, we didn't make up this recipe. I got it from one of my cookbooks. It was different, but not nasty... We also dyed French onion dip pink with food coloring. And then I made white cheddar macaroni and cheese, to which we added red food coloring to make it pink. So, here we all are, sitting in front of the table:
And here's our lovely pink spread (and notice how festive the table looks! With pink M&Ms in a pretty glass, and Hershey's kisses strewn across the table -- my doing, believe it or not -- and all the Valentine's stuff in the background):Okay, so let's go clockwise from the truffles. So, you see our beautiful (and delicious, but probably not so nutritious) truffles, then Cherry coke, pink mac and cheese, pink French onion dip, sunset cooler, M&Ms, plates ;), and pink mashed potato pie. And notice, in the background, were our 2 choices of movies to watch: Just Like Heaven and Pretty in Pink. We opted for Pretty in Pink :). How fitting! So, we watched the movie while eating the "food" part of our meal.
The sweets, of course, came later. In fact, they came much later. Right before we watched an episode of My So-Called Life. Do you guys remember that show? April got the whole one and only season on DVD for Christmas. It's funny... I used to watch that show from Angela's (Claire Danes' character's) point of view. I totally see it from her mother's perspective now. I think that makes me officially old. Oh, and Jordan Catalano? Probably he (actually, the actor was Jared Leto) should have been included on my "famous crushes" post. Because he was a hottie. But seriously, his character was a moron. And I have to say, watching that episode and hearing his ridiculous comments made me think, "He may have been the cutest guy in the high school, but he was dumb as a brick, and that's a total turn-off." Haha. I told April that too. Courtney was very, very excited about trying the oreo truffles. So, I took pictures of us all with our oreo truffles. Oh, I made about 30 truffles and we ate 6 of them that night (not 6 each, just 6 total), so now we both have left-overs. Ugh. I was sugared-out. April and I made it to about midnight. We watched an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond that I had never seen before. That is one hilarious show. Oh, and don't you like my new pajama pants? They are so cute, aren't they? Courtney modeled all her pink pajamas for us so we could choose one, and I had my pink frosted cupcakes on my pants ;). So, we were seriously in the pink. I seriously crashed when I went to bed. But, I will write about the rest of my weekend tomorrow. Just know that more fun (and more fat) are on their way to a Nilla-blog near you :).

6 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i only saw that movie once and get it confused with untamed heart. the pink party looked awesome! good luck devouring the rest of the truffles. ;)

Heath Hopkins said...

You look great. It makes me think of the "pink ladies" from Grease.

I managed to catch part of Sixteen Candles this weekend. I'm sure Jake Ryan was one of your "hotties" too. :P

Nilla said...

Pink Ladies! That would have been a much better post title! Darn it! And yeah, Jake Ryan was a hottie, you're right. I guess there are several about whom I forgot! I don't know why I didn't forget David Bowie.... You'd think I'd WANT to forget that one. Perhaps that's why it sticks in there...

Kira =] said...

I love the new pajama pants! And one day you must come and make deserts with us!! =]

Nilla said...

It's a deal, Kira! Maybe during the week of March 15. I'll be in Dothan that week ;). And what are you doing not sleeping! You have a newborn!

Anonymous said...

Love the new jammies. Love, Aunt H.