Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Heart Day!


Well, I decided I should mark the occasion by breaking the Nilla mold and posting in red. I always notice how colorful Elka's posts are, but it never occurs to me to try to do that with my blog :). It is the VaNILLA in me coming out. And I posted the Google picture because I thought it was sooo cute. Isn't that so sweet?

Yesterday after work, Jeni and I went and visited with Jackie and Nancy. As always, Jeni and I had a great time visiting. I guess that straightener really works, because I walked into Jeni's house, she took one look at me and said, "You got a straightener!" I didn't know it was that obvious! What amazed me even more is that most of my hair was in a ponytail and just the bangs were noticeable. Mostly because yesterday was a blah day, so I didn't even do anything with my hair. I had straightened it Tuesday night after I blow-dryed it, but it was still looking straightened yesterday afternoon. So that's cool.
After Visiting Teaching, I found the back-road way from Jeni's house to the Piggly Wiggly that has 35-cent Pepsi products in the vending machines. I told Jeni about it and she said that, up until 3 or 5 months ago, they had been 25 cents. Still a bargain at 35 cents though. So I bought myself a soda and headed home. Oh, I got the cutest Valentine card from my friend Becky and her son Brian. She had Brian in cupid wings and a diaper. It was just too cute. Thanks Becky! Here's a picture of Little B and myself back in November:
So after I got home and took a shower, I forced myself to read and take notes on another article for my 18-page paper. Yeah, I should have spent the rest of the night doing things of this nature. But I have a hard time forcing myself to do so. So, I settled on having read one article, cooked myself some Velveeta Shells and Cheese, emailed April to solidify our red/pink menu for tomorrow's Valentine's Girls' Night, and then hunkered down with Edy's Thin Mint ice cream to watch Dirty Dancing. I forget just how much I love that movie until I start watching it again. It should be noted that I was productive a little bit during the movie: I folded clothes. I didn't make it through the whole movie (just until the part where Penny tells Johnny, "Johnny what are you doing? You told me never to get mixed up with them." And Johnny replies, "I know what I'm doing." Then April called, so I paused it. Well, our conversation ended up lasting 2 hours, so I never did get back to the movie. I will save the remainder of it for another time. After all, I can't not watch the classic line: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Please note that you will never find this quote in my "guess the quote" box. It's too well-known and therefore not a challenge :). April totally cracks me up. It really is great to have a friend in the program, particularly one in several of my classes of the program. It's more fun to gripe with a friend than alone :). Oh yeah, and Stefanie also cracks me up. She left another sticky note with a code on it. She had the picture of a dollar and next to it wrote "value of" and then drew a down arrow. And then she had that multiplied by negative one. So, basically I was supposed to figure out "depreciate" (when the value of the dollar goes down) and then, when multiplied by a negative one, it's supposed to be positive, so she wanted me to end up with "appreciate" and then the rest of it I figured out... And it said, "I appreciate Hila." I have to give her props for her creativeness. I wouldn't have ever figured out a way to codify appreciate :). Stefanie is a neat roommate.

I woke up totally late this morning, and I knew it was supposed to be very cold outside. So, I went out and cranked up my car so it would warm up while I was getting ready. And it was very iced over, so pre-heating it was a good thing :). I noticed, though, that it didn't seem all that cold. Turns out that was a mixture of 2 things: 1...I was wearing my new pajama pants (hmmm... I find myself in a predicament... My RED pajamas with the hearts, with which you are all very familiar, are ideal for the festive girlie night, but I sure am tired of seeing them in pictures.... and I sure would like to introduce you to my new cute pajama pants that are pastel green with cupcakes on them and they are polyester...hmmm...) and those polyester pants are quite good at blocking the cold. And 2...the wind wasn't blowing. Anyway, on the way to work, I suddenly remember that I have a back window defroster. I've had this car for going on 4 years now. And I will have you know that today is the first day it occurred to me to use the back window defroster lines... Yeah, you can call me genius.

And finally, allow me to tell you my strange dream. So, I'm at work in the dream, only it's night-time. And it's obviously a Thursday night, because I am in class. And for some reason, I decided to stay at my work desk and have class here. Which, in real life (and I think even in my dream life, because rules of which I am conscious usually carry over into my subconscious :)), is not allowed. This floor closes at 5:30 and it is completely locked up. The public elevators won't even come to this floor (unless they are called from this floor) after 4:45. So in the dream, I knew I wasn't supposed to be using my computer for my online class. But I figured it wouldn't matter. So the floor is completely dark, except for the light around my area (which didn't look exactly the same... For one thing the cube walls were lower). So, I would alternate between sitting on the floor (? possibly because this is how I use my computer at home a lot?), and standing at my desk. So at one point, I'm standing at my desk on the phone, looking toward the little hallway that is on the other side of my cube (in real life, only I can't see it, because the cube is tall). And all of a sudden, this Asian guy walks in front of my desk. Now, this immediately freaks me out, because I'm under the impression that I'm alone here. I mean, it seems that the library building is still open (although it also seems it's around midnight, which makes it weird that I was supposedly in class...) I'm also under the impression that the floor is locked down and that nobody can get onto the floor. So this guy walks around my desk and tries talking to me. Only he doesn't speak much English. I also get the impression that he works on campus as a professor, but even so... I'm freaked out that he has gotten on the floor and shouldn't have been able to. He picks up the phone and dials the police (which, according to my dream, if you press 44 at any point, it will automatically call the police). So I'm talking to the dispatcher who wants to know if it's an emergency, etc. Eventually my supervisor shows up, my old department head shows up, campus SWAT guys show up to find the "breach" that allowed this guy on the floor. And I'm afraid I'm going to get into trouble for using my work computer for class. But I don't get in trouble. Oh yeah, and they did a print out of the phone numbers dialed (I don't know why this was important) and I could see where, twice, the 44 sequence was dialed. I have a strange little subconscious.

Okay, so I said finally before, so I lied. So sue me. You're the one still reading :). I thought I would do a mini-memory, seeing as it's Valentine's Day and all that :). This isn't really much of one. Just something I remember. I remember they used to send out candy-grams in junior high school. You could pay a dollar and send a candy-gram to someone else. I used to yearn for Cody (in 7th grade) to send me one. For the record, I never got one. I was a loser... (Just kidding). Of course, I also never sent one either. I was not that brave ;).

*Christina has also guessed the movie quote correctly!*

8 comments:

Heath Hopkins said...

Nobody interrupts Baby's movie! :D

Anonymous said...

Interesting dream...I wander what it says about your inner phyche! Maybe we shouldn't explore that...
Aunt H.

Katherine Ronachert said...

i think your dream means you need to eat more chinese plums. aren't they red or some darkened version?

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh, and i love the red!!! i'm getting sick of my background again, only this time, there is WAY too much work put into the blog. what to do? what to do?

Nilla said...

Chinese plums! Hilarious! And yeah, I don't think I'll do the red every day. It was just for a special occasion. I feel the need to return to vaNILLA :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

you should update your last picture (you know the timeline) with your new HOT haircut! watch out seattle there's a new hila in town! (see my mom would be the old hila, emphasis on old, just kidding! i vaguely remember someone asking if rj was her son.)

Anonymous said...

I must have been thinking of wAndering through your dream when I posted my comment this morning. What I meant to say was "I wOnder what it says about your inner pSyche". LOL. I must have been asleep this morning. Let's agree not to explore the inner psyche of either one of us! Love, Aunt H.

Nilla said...

Well, I knew what you meant, Aunt Hila, and honestly, I didn't even catch the Psyche one :). Which probably says something about me ;)... Yeah, best not to look too hard into our psyches!