Monday, February 11, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...in Reverse

The Ugly
Yeah, so you know how I said that, even after I blow-dried my hair, I couldn't get it to look how it looked when I left the salon? Well, this is what it looks like after I get a shower and don't blow-dry my hair, but instead let it dry while I sleep. Yikes! But you know that I've stated it before... I don't have a whole lot of time to do much with it in the mornings. I also think it looks better in person than it does in this picture. I could, however, be wrong. Oh, and please excuse the plain face. I don't often post pictures of me looking this rough. Anyway, so, without the hair-dryer, my hair is quite wavy. Blow-drying it seems to keep it straighter. Not straight enough, however, to make it look like it did when I left the hair salon. To do that, it turns out, I must acquire a hair-straightener. I find it a shame that I was not able to foresee this need when I was about 10. I used to own one of those 3-in-one hair-styler things that had changeable plates. It had the hair straightening plates, the wave plates, and the crimping plates. So, I would have the straightener at my fingertips, not to mention the added bonus of being able to crimp my hair at a moment's notice (as you never know when the moment might present itself)! Alas, I am pretty sure I either gave it away or let my parents sell it in a patio sale. So, now I know a hair straightener will be an upcoming purchase. Oh yeah, and I know that it's the hair straightener that I need, because I went to Jeni's yesterday before visiting teaching and she was like, "Okay, I plugged in my hair straightener." I had seen her at church and lamented that, even with blow-drying my hair, I can't get it to look the same as CJ did on Friday. So, Jeni (remember, Jen is fru-fru, so she owns nifty hair gadgets ;)) plugged hers in and trooped me to her bathroom and straightened my hair. And yep, that was the solution. I looked a lot more like I did on Friday after Jeni was done. It occurs to me that I now have a hair dryer and am about to purchas a hair straightener.... I think I am well on my way to fru-fru myself. Eek! (just kidding ;)). Oh yeah, and don't I look so tired in this picture of me? Yeah, that's because it's not quite 8:00 yet and I'm at work. I am missing my warm bed. And looking at that picture makes me retract my previous statment about being well on my way to fru-fru. I am pretty sure I have a long way to go if I look like this...

So, I hate garbage disposals. I know hate is a strong word. But seriously. I wasn't raised having a garbage disposal in my home, so I feel no need to have one. And both times I have had one, once in the townhouse in Dothan, and now again in this apartment, it has spelled disaster. We were successful in getting the apartment complex in Dothan to remove the ridiculous thing. Here, however, we have had our second run-in with trouble. Stefanie put some carrots down there (yeah, we all see where this is going), which caused it to clog. Well, we knew that side of the sink was unusable until today (assuming they fix it). Well, we decided to go ahead and just put the dishes in the dishwasher. Well, then Stefanie decided to run the dishwasher. Yeah, so it turns out that the dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal (I'm not sure this was the wisest set-up ever...). So that half of the sink filled up with NASTY water (stuff from the clog, etc). And then it VERY SLOWLY drained back into the dishwasher (GROSS), and then leaked onto the kitchen floor. But, this does not constitute an emergency, so we sopped up the water with towels (and I threw those towels away, because I don't care how much I wash them, I will always know they had moldy-food-from-garbage-disposal-water soaked into them). And now we wait (and hopefully they will fix it today) and we'll have to run that load of dishes through again. Ick. I am so not a fan of the garbage disposal.

The Bad
A true tragedy in the life of a person who is governed by time is losing one's watch. And, somewhere between my closet and my car; sometime between 9:11 and 9:22, I lost mine. And, I'm governed by time. I re-traced my steps after I got home from church, but could not find the watch. The tragedy is not the lost watch itself (it was some cheap thing I bought at Wal-Mart, with a cheap band that was breaking through, and obviously finished breaking). The tragedy is what it does to my mental state. My left wrist is bare at the moment and I think I can hear it sobbing in its nakedness. And inwardly, I am sobbing too. For I know I will be lost without the handy time-reference.

Okay, so not entirely sure this should be listed under bad... And probably it wouldn't be if Jeni or I could exemplify even the smallest hint of self-control... But sadly, we cannot. I will explain these under "The Good," because there is good. "The Bad," however, is that we each ate at least 3 of these. Not to mention the huge chunk of peanut butter cake (with peanut butter frosting -- still warm) we ate that David's Aunt Dena took over to Jeni's. Not to mention the huge hunk of delicious, warm cornbread (which includes 2 heaps of mayo and 1 cup of buttermilk), topped with butter, that our dear Debbie gave us while we were out visiting her.

The Good
Well, you've seen the picture, so I won't duplicate it ;). I baked those little heart-cakes and then Jeni made home-made frosting to decorate them. And then we took them to our sisters whom we visit teach. It was a really great Sunday afternoon! Jeni and I get along great, and while I can't speak for her, I can speak for myself and say that I really enjoy her company and I enjoy our visits and chats as we drive out to see our sisters. We laugh and share and listen... and that's what friendships are all about. And it's always a wonderful thing to get to visit with Alix, Jerusha, and Debbie. Especially Debbie. We love her. She is so super-sweet. Last Sunday, she and her husband sat by me and someone asked if I was Debbie's daughter. Debbie smiled, said, "No, she's my visiting teacher. But we'd claim her!" And I thought that was just so sweet. I told her that, one day, I wanted me and her and Jeni to get a picture. And she said, "You guys aren't leaving me, are you?" We assured her we are not (in other words, we aren't going to stop being her visiting teachers, at least not that we know), although I did admit that I will be moving in August and will have to leave her then. Anyway, both Debbie and Greg are so nice and they are such a sweet couple as well. Their daughter is getting married in June, and both Jeni and I have been invited to the wedding. So we might wait until then to get a picture, since we'll all be dressed up and look nice (not like I look today!). Anyway, Jeni invited me to eat dinner with her family, and she had put a pork roast in the crock pot after church, so we all ate that last night. It was very good (especially the mushrooms, Jeni ;)). Jeni always has delicious and well-balanced food for her family. I've been invited to eat with them on many occasions and I'm always impressed. And then I hung out with Jeni, Ethan, and Sara Katherine while David when out with the missionaries. So I didn't actually get home last night until after 9:30. I hadn't realized it had gotten so late!

*Julie has guessed the movie quote correctly*

6 comments:

juliebean said...

let me be the first to say

BED OF ROSES

finally you start doing some good movies, the last two I did not like, so I would not have known them. That can't hardly wait is not one I would think you like. Isnt it about teenagers partying? their last year in highschool? I vaguely remember seeing it the one time.

Katherine Ronachert said...

so i find it hysterical that you seem to think that the hair straightener you had at 10 would still be fully functionaly 15+ years later. now, to finish reading your blog.

Nilla said...

Well, you never know... I might have been very gentle with it :). Not likely, but MAYBE. And even so, I sure do wish I had that crimper plate.... My mom used to crimp my hair by braiding my whole head in little braids and letting me sleep in them overnight. I don't think I have that kind of patience. But, maybe I will decide to find that kind of patience :).

Katherine Ronachert said...

i did that as well! only my straighter than sticks hair held the crimping for maybe a minute.

Anonymous said...

Well my hair dryer is at least that old, all I have to do is keep slight pressure on the on switch and it is fine. My Mom still uses the hot rollers and hair dryer I had before that! So I think Nilla's hair straightener could still be functional, especially since the older ones were more sturdy. Oh wait, the fact that I am explaining all of this probably qualifies as hysterical too NERD NERD NERD!!!!!!!!!!

Jeni said...

Hila, you can speak for me! I love our chats and visits too!