Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kindness and 100 Things About Me -- Part 4 of 10

So I spent yesterday doing more packing. I am almost done. Seriously so close to being done. I think I'll probably take pictures of my room tonight (albeit with boxes piled high) so I have a recollection of what this apartment looked like. Empty :). Virginia stopped by and ate dinner with me -- barbecue beef from the crock pot. I made some more homemade granola (which wasn't as good as the first batch, since I didn't read the directions quite carefully enough), so that I could use up some of the ingredients. When I decided I'd done enough packing, I just read The Club by Jane Heller. I have to have it finished by next Wednesday, and with everything else going on (i.e. packing) I'm not reading as much as I would like to. However, after this weekend, when everything has been moved out, I will have nothing to do but read! Anyway, I turned out lights at about 11 and fell asleep pretty quickly. And slept very soundly. Now, I made the executive decision to pack my alarm clock and just use my cell phone as my alarm. Genius, right? It really is. Unless you have a bad habit of hitting snooze. Which I do. Problem is, the cell phone doesn't have a snooze.... well, actually I think it does, but I am not functioning enough at 7:00 in the morning to figure out what to press. So, I just open the phone and shut the phone, thereby deactivating the alarm. And then I proceed to convince myself I can doze for 10 minutes. But when I gain consciousness again, it turns out to be 7:26, and the cell phone doesn't have the nifty feature that my alarm clock does, where I can set the time ahead 10 minutes to try to trick myself out :). So, it's never a good morning that starts like that. And, inevitably, I then get behind the 2 biggest idiot-drivers in all of the county, I'm sure. A chick who barely goes the speed limit on the little 2-lane road I must travel to work, and then, when I finally get to a point where I can go around her, the idiot that is now in front of me wants to get into her lane, but instead of speeding up to get in front of her, he slows down to get behind her. So, now there is no room for me to get into that lane (which I needed to get into, but I wanted to go around slow chick), so now I'm forced to miss my exit and go to the next one. And now I'm behind the ridiculous buses. Sigh...

But then I get to work. And I am sitting at my desk, filling out my time sheet, when Loretta -- who works for housekeeping and has the unfortunate job lately of discovering the rats, comes around the corner into my cube with a beautiful purple bag (Julie, it's purple!). Inside the bag (which is insulated) is a bunch of lunch goodies. And I mean a bunch. And it is such a sweet surprise! And how kind! And this is the beginning of another good-bye. And I had no idea that she thought enough of me to think of me. She won't be here next week, so she brought it this week. But tomorrow (since, even though I thought about bringing my camera, but I was running late and didn't give it a second thought), I'll have my camera here, and I'll be taking a picture with Loretta and the bag, since I'll be brining my lunch in it tomorrow. But, thanks to camera phones, I at least was able to take a picture of the bag and its contents for you :).There have been such wonderful, good people placed in my life. And I feel so very blessed. There are good, kind people everywhere you go. And I am so thankful to have met so many of them.


And now, for 10 more things about me (because I'm trying to get through this list before I leave for Panama!):

31. I am almost positive I could exist on bread and cheese.
32. I've always wanted a two-story (or upstairs/downstairs) house.
33. I used to want to have a spiral staircase in my house.
34. I hate cookie-cutter houses... I want my house to be different, and not cut from the same pattern as everyone else's in the neighborhood. If this means I have to live outside of a neighborhood, so be it.
35. I cross-stitch, but I always give away as gifts the things I make. I don't think I have a single thing I've ever cross-stitched.
36. The lowest report card grade I've ever gotten was a D -- and that was in 9th grade, during the third quarter of Geometry. I hated Geometry. Plus I was in the throes of my rebellious years.
37. I have a BS in English with a minor in Math, and am technically done with my Master of Library and Information Studies degree, which, thankfully, is a terminal degree, so I doubt I'll be going for anymore degrees in my lifetime.
38. I used to ride horses. I loved it, and I miss it. I kind of wish I could ride one more time with my instructor from Panama -- Zoya. She was from Russia and only spoke Spanish and Russian. She was so sweet and nice. I wonder if she's still there...
39. I have a large birthmark on the back right side of my neck. I was always so self-conscious about it that I never wore my hair short, and I never wore it up in a ponytail. Now, I don't even think about it.
40. When I was younger, I planned to dye my hair blonde and get blue contacts when I got older. I also hated my name. I wanted a name like Stacy or Wendy or something like that. Now that I could do those things (including legally changing my name), I don't have any desire to :).

10 comments:

Heather said...

That's a cute bag. I've not seen cute ones before, just ugly square ones.

I cross stitch, but I don't give it away much. It takes so long for me to finish something that I don't want to give it away. I've got too much time invested in it. My favorite thing to make is Christmas Tree ornaments.

Nilla said...

I have cross-stitched several Christmas ornaments over the years. But again, I never kept any. One year I did an ornament for everyone at the library with whom I worked.

Virginia said...

The snacks which came in the cute purple bag look almost as good as your BBQ and haystacks that I ate at your place!

I've cross-stitched too! (but not in quite sometime)

Anonymous said...

such talent, such looks...
some people have all the luck!
love,
?

Anonymous said...

ha! ha! ha!

Anonymous said...

Guess who?

Anonymous said...

yeah, i'm sure you figured out it's your super lazy cousin who didn't want to type in her username and password because it would take too much time.
but, in the amount of time that it took to do all these "guess who" comments, i could have filled out the information and been on my merry way!
oh, but i'm laughing and enjoying myself right now! pretending to cause you such agony over another anonymous comment.
but really, i'm sure you knew it was me because i wasn't smart enough to capitalize.
darn.
crapola?
:)

Nilla said...

Yeah, that's exactly what I guessed... I said to myself: "I bet that's my loser cousin :)"

Nilla said...

oops! You said super lazy, not loser :)...

Loveya!

Anonymous said...

dagger to the heart.
i'm insulted
;)