Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm Getting Old!

But it was a wonderful weekend. Although it was very, very busy! And I am exhausted!

Friday, I left work and went home to get a shower. Then Virginia came by and picked me up and we drove over to the hospital here to meet up with Stephanie Vickery who has been in town because her dad is in the hospital. The three of us went to the Temple. On the way there, we hit torrential rain, and several people actually pulled off of the interstate. But, the most awesome thing I've ever seen.... A complete rainbow. We could see where it looked like it ended on both sides. It looked like it was right over the interstate and we could see the whole thing. It also seemed as thought it was moving with us, and I could look out my side window and see where it looked like it touched the ground. I have never seen anything like it. It was amazing. (There was no visible pot of gold ;)). After about 10 minutes of driving in the downpour, we were out of the worst of it, and eventually we drove out of the rain completely. We swung into a drive-thru to grab dinner. We at in the parking lot at the Temple. Then we got out and took pictures.
Me and Virginia at Birmingham Temple
I got home some time around 11:30 that night. I was tired! And I full enjoyed my last night of sleeping in my bed for who knows how long. Except that I woke up at 6:30 Saturday morning because I'd dreamed about giving a talk in church (probably because I really was giving a talk in church :)). In the dream, I was trying to give the talk, but the microphone was on this really long metal arm that was bendable (best way I can describe it is to tell you to picture a metal fold-out contraption or Johnny 5's arm from Short Circuit). Anyway, for the life of me I could not get that microphone to be in the right place where both everyone could see me and I could talk into it comfortably. Yeah, I have strange dreams. Anyway, I have weird dreams. I was able to go back to sleep and slept until 8:30 when I got up, ate strawberry banana oatmeal, and got to work on more packing. I took apart my bed and maneuvered all that to the wall. My room was so empty! It's amazing. I moved all my boxes to the living room so they were all ready to go. I was so disillusioned that it started raining 2 hours before we were supposed to start moving. And it didn't look like there was in an end in sight. I called Virginia, who looked itt up on the weather.com, and she said it wasn't listed as being isolated thunder storms until 6 p.m. I was concerned. It's not like I have a lot of time to work with here ;). But, in answer to prayer, the rain stopped, and we were able to get my stuff moved in 2 loads. A great big thank-you to Thad, Chris, and Virginia who helped me move!!! So, now all my stuff is in an 8 1/2 by 5ish foot space in Virginia's apartment for 3 weeks. It's rather amusing to see the pile against the wall. After eating some dinner, I went home and got a shower. Then I went back to Virginia's to use her computer and she and I also went to Wal-Mart. I was pretty bushed by 10:00, so I headed home. I talked to my dad for a while, and then read a little before bed. I had decided not to blow up the air mattress, because I'll just have to deflate it in a couple of days, and I figured sleeping on the floor wouldn't be so bad. I used to do it all the time when I was a kid. Okay, so not the most brilliant of ideas... espcially after a day of moving. I ached in some severe ways. And every time I thought, "oh my back!" I felt like an old lady ;). And let's just say I made a decision to make good use of the couch until Rachel comes to get it.

My talk in church went well. I spoke on temple work, and I got several compliments. I went to nursery for the last time (I was released as nursery leader, since I'll be heading out). One of the parents brought me a rose and thanked me for taking such good care of her child. I thought that was so sweet.
Rose from one of the parents from nursery
Of course, it's not sweet that I can't seem to take a decent picture to save my life here recently.

After church, I went to Virginia's to burn the last of the family DVDs (nothing like cutting it short, right ;)?) and the B.C. Thanksgiving and Christmas DVDs. Plus we had root-beer floats. Yummy :). I like the fizzy bubbles. I got home around 4:30, got the chicken marinating for stir fry, read, took a shower, cooked and ate dinner. Stefanie went to the church with Allyson and Stephen to meet the missionaries and a guy from her work. She came home around 9:30 with Allyson and Stephen, and I was on the couch in my jammies. Because the couch is the only comfortable place I have to go to read now. So we sat up talking and laughing until about midnight when Allyson and Stephen left and then Stefanie and I talked until about 1 this morning. I slept on the couch -- much more comfy than the floor. But I am soooo very tired. I just can't do this 1:00 in the morning thing and then get up for work and not feel tired thing anymore ;). I like my sleep! I had another weird dream about all these people I used to know in Panama. It was all of my old guy friends from there and their spouses, and we were all in the ward building in Cardenas at one point and I remember saying, "Man, it seems like no time has passed at all, but I know that it's been 11 years! You guys are all married with children now, so obviously time has passed!" Yeah, I dream a lot. I know I've said that a lot, but it's true.

1 comment:

Kira =] said...

So glad Thad helped out! He needs to help my friend. =] Awesome temple trip!!