Monday, July 12, 2010

Not Dishwasher Friendly

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have come to really love the fabulous invention known as the dishwasher. I view dishes the way I view clothes (which is that if they are the kind of fabric that needs to be ironed, I don't buy them). I don't care to buy or use dishes that aren't dishwasher safe. Lazy? Yeah, probably. But since my mom thinks it's funny to say that she had four dishwashers (ie me, Ben, Brad, and Christina), I think I've done my share of dishes by hand. And so I love to utilize the wonderful dishwasher. And I usually don't give a lot of thought to things that aren't dishwasher safe these days. I know I melted a plastic plate in a dishwasher once. And what a smell that caused to go through our little townhouse on Denton Road. Ick! But I have not had any mishaps since that I can recall. Until Saturday night. I had my water bottle I'd gotten from work and was using due to the extreme heat (which, thank goodness, it has returned to much more reasonable temperatures -- like 60s during the day ;)). I put it in the dishwasher on Saturday and when I went upstairs on Sunday, it was laying on the counter looking like this:

Probably the picture doesn't really do it justice, but hopefully you realize that it's probably shrunk by half it's original size. You can see my hand in relation to this water bottle, and I don't know of too many water bottles that are made to fit nicely in the palm of one's hand. I mean, what would be the point? It'd be a water bottle made for the munchkins on The Wizard of Oz. "We represent... the lollipop kids!" (I can hear that in my head in a particularly hilarious voice at the moment). So, there went my water bottle. Boo. Lesson learned. Probably should have hand-washed that one.

And I love when I find a new song that I love. And by new, I mean new to me. As it was pointed out to me by Alysha via Julie, this is an old song (from 2009). But I love it. It makes me want to dance ;). And since I don't have a 14 year old to keep me up on the cool songs of the day (since a lot of them are junk, so I quit listening to the new stuff...), I have to find them when they are "old" ;). So have a listen here to Hey Soul Sister by Train. Funny tidbit: my friend Lea's family loves the song also, but she doesn't because she doesn't like the "untrimmed chest" part. Hahaha.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Did you have it on the top rack? That's weird. I hate hand washing dishes too. My Dad always said my Mother didn't need a dishwasher because she had 4 at home. I guess my brother didn't count. They never made him do any chores.

I also don't buy clothes that have to be hand washed or lay flat to dry. If it can't go in the washer AND dryer, then it's not for me.

Nilla said...

Heather -- No, it was on the bottom rack, because it WAS taller (though you can't tell that from looking at it now ;)). Also, if I happen to buy something that is "dry clean only" or "hand wash" like at a thrift store (because, really, you can't beat the prices...), I still just throw it in the washer and dryer. Hahahaha. But otherwise, I'm with you! I'm not so fancy that I need to have clothes that need professional dry cleaning!

wilkinson family said...

my sis. JaNae had learned that laundry trick long ago well before i finally caught on. so i'm with you if it can't go in washer and dryer, then i no longer wear it. if it's from a thrift store and says dry clean it still goes in washer and dryer. lol

juliebean said...

you dummy...... lucky you did not mess the dishwasher..... that makes me laugh.

jessica said...

Hahahaha, sorry I shouldn't laugh, but that is soooo me! Too bad you don't have a before picture. I always just assume everything is dishwasher safe so I'm pretty sure I pay for it quite often.

Katherine Ronachert said...

dishwashers are my best friend. and i put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher. it must be a genetic thing.