Wednesday, March 17, 2010

[Life] is Like a Roller Coaster, Baby Baby

It's been a while since I have done a song title post. At least I think it has been.

Life really is like a roller coaster. Ups and downs. And ups and downs. Things haven't been bad. Mostly normal. But sometimes things are tougher than others. Sometimes we have to do things that are hard, because they are the right thing to do. Sometimes we have to accept that things happen that are beyond our control, and we just have to be thankful for what we have. For example, the economy is bad. I know this is no big surprise. It's been bad for about a year and a half now. But lately we've been feeling the pinch at the funeral home. And yesterday several people, including myself, got sent home without pay, because the power went out, and they can't justify paying everyone for sitting in the dark. There was talk of hours being cut for admin staff and a few others. As of today, we hear that, at least for now, that isn't going to happen. But it started me thinking... I have so very much to be grateful for. Even if my hours do eventually get cut, I now have a second job that will help make up the difference. And I also am in a situation where I won't find myself defaulting on a loan or not being able to afford rent or what have you. Is it what I dreamed of for my life? No, not really. But I know I will be okay. Worst case scenario, I have to wait a little longer to pay off my student loan -- but not much longer. But for now, everything is still on track, since our hours aren't getting cut as of right now. But the other thing I keep hearing as I work at the library is all these people coming in weekly to get online and search for jobs. I don't know these people. But I can honestly say my heart aches for them. And I realize how little I have to complain about. Because I have had the means to pay my bills and meet my obligations. And I have an even stronger testimony of tithing. I have had one since I decided to be a full tithe payer about 6 years ago. I have seen the blessings come. I realize it doesn't make logical sense to the world at large to say that, in "giving away" part of my income, I am actually surviving better. But I know that is the case. I have literally seen miracles. Even if they don't seem like miracles. I have seen my money stretch further, because the things I need have been on sale. Or because the amount I had budgeted for a bill was sufficient, even though I was sure I would probably go over that budgeted amount because of circumstance (like my heating bill in Tuscaloosa when I lived alone). Or because my car keeps running. Or because I don't get sick. These may not seem miraculous, but they are my miracles, and they have allowed me to have what I have and to make do with what I earn. I have no doubt that these instances -- and so many more -- are a direct fulfillment of the Lord's promise: that He will pour out the blessings of heaven when we pay our tithes and offerings.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on a soapbox. I really just recognize that my success has not come through my efforts alone. I have blessings being poured out upon me. And I am so grateful for what I have. I need to remember that more often, especially as I see how hard it really is "out there" economically speaking. In my county alone over 10,000 people are without work. Times are so hard. It is heart-breaking.

But that's depressing. And I didn't mean to be depressing. So here's another miracle -- at least in my book ;)


These are my tomato plants! And they are even taller today! I showed these pictures to people at work and they were like, "Whoa!" It's looking like I will have to transplant into bigger pots before I transplant into the garden -- if that's what I choose to do. Who knew? Of 48 little cubicles, I only had 1 that didn't produce a plant. And some of them have more than one plant. This was partially because I couldn't believe that one tiny little tomato seed would produce a plant that would grow to produce a bunch. Turns out I was wrong. But, you live and learn. Now I know for next year! Anyway, I'm going to probably give a few seedlings to people at work. Goodness knows we can't eat that many tomatoes! I am just hopeful they will produce :). Both Mary and Buck suggested I sell the seedlings for a couple bucks each. But I'd rather give them away. Especially because I don't know if they will produce. I am, after all, a novice ;). But I am very excited with the progress of my little plants. I seriously never knew I could be that excited about a plant growing. So I am sorry to those of you who are tired of hearing about my plants. I fear you have a long way to go before you don't hear my blathering on about them anymore ;).

Oh, and other fun news... I'm posting this from the comfort of my bed. Wireless is working wonderfully. I'm loving my laptop. I'm loving laying in bed and blogging or emailing or -- like what I'm about to do, watching an episode of Frasier ;).

3 comments:

Heather said...

Keep posting about the plants. I've been thinking about starting a garden, so I find it very interesting. I'm looking forward to finding out if they produce and how much. If they all produce, you have to can some tomatoes.

I'm glad you got the wireless working. Computers can be very frustrating at times. I tried organizing the million wires coming out of my computer, but it was not use. If I zip tied some together or to the desk, it prevented me from pulling the computer out when I needed to.

Anonymous said...

i love your soapbox sermons. very insightful and it's good to realize how good we have it, no? :) (unfortunately this often happens at the risk of seeing others struggle :( )
ps wireless is a miracle. i love, love, love it!
elka

wilkinson family said...

nothing to do with your post just guessing at the movie.

percy jackson and the olympians