Sunday, March 7, 2010

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Don't let my title fool you. I'm not getting married. Maybe someday. But this particular post is not announcing an engagement ;).

It is, however, announcing:
[Something Old and Something Blue]

This is that station wagon I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Turns out the model is a Chevy. Or is that the make? Eh. Either way, you get the drift. It might have been an Impala station wagon. Ain't she a beaut? Kristin calls her the pimp-mobile. So thanks Kristin, for sending this to me!

And while we are on the subject of Big Blue... While pondering memories of this station wagon, I remembered another one. One day (I think it was a Friday, and it would have been either a week 2 or 4 as far as schedules go, because both Anita and Sheila were there), the whole Technical Services team (consisting of me, Nancy, Anita, and Sheila -- back in 2001ish) went out to the Columbia Branch to do some weeding. We had made our first trip out there that morning and we had updated computers and pulled a lot of old books. We had piled them all up in the station wagon -- loaded her up completely -- and returned to the main library. We unloaded and prepared to head back for our 2nd trip. Well, we made it to right behind Dothan High School. Sheila was driving. And the wagon just quit. I think we even had to push it out of the road. I don't remember how we got it back to the library. I don't remember how we got back to the library. We probably called the boss and got a ride back. But I do remember that Nancy took us all to lunch after that. I want to say we ate Mexican somewhere, but I can't remember where, so this might not be factual. And then Nancy and I returned to Columbia in Nancy's car to finish the weeding project. Ah. Good times.

[Something Borrowed]

So I have been relishing the life of a library worker once again. I find that I borrow so much more from the library when I actually work in one. Mostly because you see so much you want to read or watch. And since you are there all the time anyway, it's so easy to check stuff out and make sure you turn it in on time!! So, in addition to Angels & Demons (which I actually borrowed from the library that serves the area where I live and not the one where I work -- they are two different library systems); I have also borrowed (from work library) 2 seasons of Frasier and I put a book on hold by Jane Green that, I assume, will be coming in Tuesday's courier. Libraries are magnificent things. With my grandmother in California visiting one of my aunts this week (well, she'll be back on Tuesday), my mom and I have had several nights where we've hung out watching Frasier and enjoying root beer floats. Good times :).

[Something New]

Tah-Dah!!! This is my new working area at the funeral home! With the acquisition of my laptop (which you can see in the picture) and it being networked to get online and print to all the printers in the building, I can now work from anywhere! I didn't move far from where I was, it's true. But this is much more conducive to my sanity. Now I sit behind Mary. And I'm sure this will provide hours of laughter -- even more so than before. As you can see in the pictures, I have my "wall of shame" with all of my pictures from my birthday surprise. Also on board are some of the Dilbert cartoons from Mary's calendar (flexitate, anyone?). And even a couple of Dilbert's clipped from the daily paper. We swear there is a camera somewhere in our work area that has it's information piped directly to the Dilbert creator. ANd of course, I have my nifty signs about stinking after midnight and the price to pay for the presence of fabulousness (complete with plastic flies taped to them). You can also see my "necesseties" which include my I Love Jim mug for daily cocoa; my Zune; and my cell phone. Oh, and hanging next to all my pictures is Mary's candy poster. We wonder if we should take this stuff down when our new regional manager comes to visit this week... Good times :).

[Something Else New]


Hideous picture of me aside, these are my little seedling plants!!! For my tomatoes! This is probably going to sound like the dorkiest thing on the planet, but I was sooooo excited when I checked my cubicles today and found growth! I just watered them last night and there was nothing! And today... BOOM! Plants! So far, out of 48 possible squares of plants, I have 15 that have at least one plant coming up. I was having my doubts, because I checked every day. And here's the thing... They keep sprouting up! When I first looked this morning, I think I counted 4, and only one of them (the one above) had it's leaves standing all tall and proud. Now there are 2 others doing the same thing, which all those others just breaking the surface of dirt, and I expect to see more leaves by tomorrow!! Who knew I could get excited about my little tomato plants! I don't even really adore tomatoes! But this is way exciting for me :). Now, in about 7 weeks or so, I will have to transplant and learn that step. And then we see if they will produce. I hear that that is the hardest part. Sometimes the plant grows, but doesn't produce. So, I'm going to keep hoping :).

[Something Cool]

These are chocolates from Paris. Seriously. I've never been to Paris, though I would love to go one day. Also to Venice, but that's in Italy. And I digress. But anyhow... My very pregnant Relief Society President went to Paris with her mom for a week and she brought us back a little treat of Paris chocolates. Which I thought was really sweet of her. I really do want to see Paris one day. See the Eiffel Tower. Go up in it, if that's a possibility. Who knows? Maybe one day :).

8 comments:

Jacob and Crystal Krausz said...

Quote = 27 Dresses!!!!!!!

Katherine Ronachert said...

nice! i love reading about your life. someday we'll play again! i miss ya!

Katherine Ronachert said...

Napoleon dynamite

juliebean said...

the movie is napoleon dynamite. did you see in the news today that corey hamm died? that famous 80s actor

juliebean said...

Also, love the office. You deserve it. That was alot of pics. Too bad the funeral home does not have a big library for you to run. hm..... a library for dead people........ put that in your book!!!

juliebean said...

That is so exciting, watching your plants grow. Before shayla, I gardened alot. I would grow them inside my florida room and transplant, or just grow them outside. But i have not found the time since. sigh. I loved it. There is something great about working outside in the dirt....:) You go girl.

Katherine Ronachert said...

a library for the dead. lol

jessica said...

Now that is a wickedly awesome blue beast of a car. Words can't do it justice!

Napoleon Dynamite