Saturday, March 20, 2010

Transcontinental Prayers

I have about a kajillion things to blog about. Which is nice, since usually I am drawing a blank and just end up rambling on and on and on... My original intention was to blog much earlier in the evening. But then things changed. Like they always do. I did not accomplish most of what I had to accomplish tonight. And not that it was ultra-stellar or responsible things. I was going to hunker down and read While My Pretty One Sleeps so I could finish it in this lifetime and move on to another book. But then Em from church called. She had invited a bunch of gals over to her house for the release of Twilight's 2nd movie New Moon. Well, we were going to watch it. So there I was, in my comfy pajamas and taking pictures of my tomato plants (which will be included here) when I got a phone call on the house phone. Which never happens, by the way. I usually only get calls to my cell phone. And Em says, when I get on the phone, "What are you doing at home?" I did tell her I was taking pictures of my tomato plants. Which makes me sound ultra hip and cool and stuff. Like I have a life. But after a few minutes of deciding not to go, I felt kinda guilty about bailing on the party, and so I called her back, changed clothes, and headed over. And we had fun. We were a small group - only 5 of us. But we enjoyed good food and lots of laughter. And plenty of discussion over why in the world Robert Pattinson didn't either buff up for the movie (since he takes his shirt off in it) or just leave his shirt on. Because it ain't pretty. Now the actor who plays Jacob... That's another story. And other discussions took place too. Hilarious ones. That kept us there until after 11.
Of course, this isn't the only New Moon fun I had today. Because, you see, I have a group of very dear friends in the great state of Alabama who were also having a New Moon party. A party I was very sad to miss. So imagine my surprise when Kira called me at about 5:10 my time and asked me to be a part of the party by saying the blessing on the food via cell phone speakerphone. And okay, so it's a little unorthodox and different. But what a wonderful group of friends who think of me and want to include me in any way possible (and also because they were already totally giggling and couldn't get serious enough to say the prayer -- trust me, I remember last year's experience quite clearly: And please bless the food that it will be yummy; because let's get real. Like oreo truffles are going to nourish and strengthen our bodies ;)...). I know this party was a blast -- and I haven't even seen pictures yet. But I partied with these gals last year, so I know it was fun. And I really am sad I wasn't able to manage to show up. So, to Stacy, Kira, Kristy, and Tammy -- I miss you and love you all! I hope to make the next party and can't wait to see the pictures and read the stories :)! And thanks for including me today :).

I have to say I've been relishing my "me" time of late. I feel like there simply is not enough time in the day. So I enjoy being cuddled up in the warm bed, watching episodes of Frasier or reading or blogging. Oh, and I love my wireless mouse. It is far to complicated and takes forever to have to drag pictures around without one. I'm just saying...

I also have to say that my life is really changing. A lot. Tonight, while at the New Moon thing, I got called at Em's by the bishop. I'm being released from my calling. The whole Relief Society Presidency is going to be released tomorrow. I did not see this coming. I find it interesting that it coincides with so many other changes in my life. New thoughts, new situations. I wonder if, just as things all worked together for me to come here, that things are now going to work together to move me onto the next part of my life. And I don't know where that will take me, literally or figuratively. Perhaps nothing much will change. Perhaps everything will. Or maybe it will just be somewhere in the middle, with some changes, but not everything different. Some days I wish I could see the future. But then some days I see the wisdom in not being able to. Wendy, the girl I walk with, and I were talking about this concept. She told me about a tv show called Flash Foward that is along these lines -- of seeing one day of the future. And how when everyone woke up in real time, they started acting differently based on what they saw. I thought it sounds interesting. I saw the season of it for sale at Best Buy the other day. I didn't buy it. Turns out the show is based on a Science Fiction book by the same title. Know how I know that? I shelved it today at the library. I think I will add it to my ever expanding "to read" list. Which, by the way, is not getting any shorter, since I didn't read any of While My Pretty One Sleeps ;). So yeah... That's the Nilla Life for you at the moment.

And finally, my new favorite topic: my tomato plants! They are growing wonderfully! In fact, I had to transplant a few because they were getting crowded in their cubicles. And let me tell you... It was heart-wrenching to transplant, because you feel the roots tearing while you pull the plant out of the dirt. But amazingly, my little seedlings bucked up and took to their new homes. I have now transplanted a total of 4: 3 today and 1 a couple of days ago. I was explaining to my seedlings the lesson of life: that sometimes we have to endure pain so that we can be moved to where we can grow better. I'm telling you... there are lessons for life throughout nature. I'm amazed at the parallels I've gained in the last couple of months when I've really started to ponder it. And no, I'm not crazy for talking to my plants. :). I'm probably crazy, just for other reasons :). So, here are a couple of plant pictures. The picture of the 4 in the windowsill are the 4 I transplanted.
So, for general knowledge purposes... These are at 3 weeks. I can't transplant to outside for at least 3 more weeks, but I might wait 4 to be on the safe side.

7 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

fried green tomatoes? might have to come visit. any thoughts on leaving seattle or nothing in the works.. i feel like this post is full of secret symbolism that i am missing...

Nilla said...

Nothing in the works. I don't feel like I can count anything out, though ;). My life remains "temporary" so I guess I'm just going with the flow :).

Mrs. S said...

Wow, your tomatoes look great! We still haven't started ours, which isn't great...we really need to get cracking!

Kristy said...

We sure did miss you on saturday, Kira made some oreo truffles and everyone I eat I thought of you, oh and I am scared of the pictures to come, especially of the one of me phasing like Jacob because of the wonderful game Kira and Stacy came up with. It was fun but sure wished you were there!

Kira =] said...

oh my we were silly & I'm glad you joined in with us & helped us out of a jam. =]

& THANK YOU for our first beach sand!!!! =]

the happy thomas family said...

so ... thanks so much for saying the prayer for us. we missed you so! every one of us - at least once - mentioned, 'oh, i miss hila.' we truly did. but ... we can't wait for eclipse! love you!

Tammy said...

dear tomato queen:

how we love you!!! your maters look lovely! it was so nice to talk to you; how 'bout calling sometime, or i'll call you. and i shall stir myself to send you an e-epic soon. i do love you so!! and i miss talking to you often...like crazy! do fill in on all the gaps left in the foreshadowing i felt as i read between the lines...