Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tax Filing Makes Me Nervous

Because I'm just afraid of making a mistake and having to pay it back later. And auditing. I don't want to be audited. It seems like a hassle. I have my work-up for my taxes. Thankfully I have a friend (the one I used to walk with last year) who does taxes during tax season. She is going to look over them for me to make sure I did it all right. Let's just say the number I'm coming up with seems far too large to be possible. But, if it isn't... Then score! I will be thrilled. But I want an expert to double-check for me before I finish filing. On the up-side, at least we got our W-2's a lot earlier than we were told we were going to.

Today was a fun day. I got a few files done. But we also got 3 brand new fire-safe filing cabinets that were so desperately needed. So I helped get those in. It's very exciting, because we have more room! Finally! Plus I helped Bob check out some cemetery grounds stuff. Which is fun. It's like a mini-field trip during work ;).

Bob and his wife have given me a lot of VHS movies. Some of them I already have on DVD, so I will pass those on to others who might want them. But there are some that I figure I won't mind owning just for the sake of having them to watch should the desire strike me. Movies like Save the Last Dance (which Julie loves, but I've only seen it once); or Pure Country; or Picture Perfect. So eventually I will have access to my VHS player and can actually watch them ;). And eventually, I'll have a tv of my own as well to actually watch them on!

In other tv/dvd news... So I mentioned before that I got gift cards from Best Buy for using my credit card. I was hoping to get Scrubs with them. But Scrubs never seems to be going on sale these days. But The Office went on major sale at Target. $16.99 each brand new, and they are usually $34.99. And so I went to Best Buy with my Target ad in hand and asked them if they price match. I used to never have the guts to do this... But they said they do, and so I got 2 more seasons of The Office and used my gift cards and still have $2 and change on the gift card! Hahaha... Yeah, I'm cheap. I was watching the newest episode of The Office the other day. This season hasn't been as good as seasons from the past, but I've been watching it anyway. But the newest episode was a flashback episode, so it did clips from past episodes and I was laughing so hard! I do love the older seasons. So it's still worth my while to get them :). At least, the ones I liked. Like I don't think I'll get the new season of Scrubs that is out this year where they are medical school doctors. I watched a few episodes, but I'm not thrilled. I think they should have ended the series like they said they were going to.

And since I'm such a loser and keep talking about tv shows... The final season of Lost will be starting soon. I liked Lost at first. It's come a long way from where it started, though. I will finish it out, because I was pretty dedicated to watching it all this time. But I probably won't ever own them. I tend to own funnier sitcom-type shows. After I get all the Scrubs and The Office that I want, I will start on Frasier. I loved that show too...

Okay, so go ahead and think I'm lame :), This is probably the nerdiest blog post I've written in a long time, if not the nerdiest one ever!!! I went from taxes to file cabinets to a million tv shows. Wow, my life is just a ball of excitement!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Did you do your taxes online? There are several companies that offer free use of their online software. I tend to stick to one's I've heard of like TurboTax and H&R Block's TaxCut. I've been using TaxCut for more than ten years. They even e-file it for free. I paid $9.95 to prepare and e-file my state, but that's not bad. The way the software works, it would be hard to mess things up, and the calculations are guaranteed to be accurate. Unless you have something weird going on, you're not likely to get audited. I filed mine Monday night. It took me about an hour to get everything together and entered in.

Don't feel bad about posting about TV. I'm in love with my Tivo, and will probably do a post about it soon.

Nilla said...

Yeah, I do my taxes through the IRS website and pick one of the ones there. I always go with H & R Block for the same reason you do, Heather. I still just get nervous ;). Thankfully I won't have to worry about state taxes this year! Yay! Although the rumor is the governor up here is starting to consider state taxes. BOO!

Unknown said...

You know I love a good deal! Yay for you for price matching!!

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter.