Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Everytime I Do it Makes Me Laugh

So, this is a song-title post. It's a little obscure, but I thought it was fitting. I am wondering if Julie has figured out the song yet. Because it is a song she liked and I thought was silly. Not the sentiment behind the song itself. But the words and the rhymes. At least I think this is the song. We were out of town when she commented that she liked this song and I said I didn't. I believe it was one of our spontaneous trips with our husbands back in the day and we had just gotten back in the car after a fun browse through a Bed, Bath, & Beyond store, probably in Florida. She was shocked that I didn't like it, because she knows how much I love pictures and how I depend on my pictures to help my memories. But the song kind of fits this blog post. And you will see why. And even if in no other way, there is the mention of at least one photograph in this blog post -- and everytime we even think of it (much less look at it), it makes us laugh.

So tonight, Julie and I had a phone date. Perhaps that sounds ridiculous. But with the difference in time zones between here and Florida, our schedules never seem to mesh. Yes, we are always available to each other during emergency moments when we just need someone to whom to vent. Or at least we try to be. But so often when we just feel like laughing and chatting -- a la 4 or 5 years ago when I was working at Troy in Dothan and we'd spend over an hour on the phone each day talking about who knows what -- well, those moments are hard to come by randomly because we are in such different time zones. Blah. So, we have to make BFF phone dates. LOL. So tonight we chatted. We got the "here and now" stuff out of the way. We discussed how scary it is that Alysha is almost 14. We discussed what that means about our ages. We discussed trials we are each facing. It's good to talk to someone who has been your friend for 11 years and seen changes come and go in your life. And then Julie says, "Okay, say something to make me laugh." Well, I didn't have any new material, really. So we had to stroll down memory lane. And it was a fabulous stroll indeed. Here's why... (with a few details for memory's sake, but some of you maybe still won't have a clue why these are funny).

*The Emperor's New Clothes rewritten by Julie to star Heath. Copy machines make so many things possible. For a while back in 1999, when we were all still working at HLML, Heath and Julie got into a "war" to see who could do the best "alteration" on a book and make it star the other person in a n0t-so-flattering way. I think Julie won. When I reminded her of this tonight, she just laughed! It was classic.

*Notes we left to each other on each other's time sheets. These were so fun! It was like passing notes in school, but not. I kept all of mine, and I think she did too. I have one that has a torn out piece of a paper towel that had a teapot on it that she taped down to a piece of paper, and she wrote "I'm a little teapot, short and Nilla pot!" And it's because there was this time that we went swimming at Patrick's and I was getting onto a float thing from outside of the pool and when I went to sit on it, apparently I reminded her of a teapot. I don't know how that's possible, but that is her story. I know she's laughing right now picturing it...

*Remembering the night we and Heath and Adam all went to Tony's Italian Restaurant (because our boss raved about it -- but we ended up thinking it was gross) and Pockets to play pool afterward. And how Adam shot one time with the cue stick (I assume I'm using the right terms here, but I'm no billiards buff...) behind his back.

*Going to Barnhill's for lunch on Saturdays when we all worked. Which was so totally against the rules, since it meant both of us from the Children's Room were gone. But we worked the "fun" weekends and Miss Hilda would come down and watch the CR so we could go out and have fun at lunch. So Kristin, me, Heath, and Julie would go to lunch. And there was that time that we took two vehicles and Heath and I rode in his truck and Kristin and Julie in Kristin's car and we came to a red light at a major intersection and Heath got the bright idea to get out of his truck and run up to Kristin's car and pound on her window. And she wasn't paying attention to him, because she was busy talking to Julie, and Julie says Kristin screamed so loud! Julie asked me tonight, "Why did he do that anyway?" I don't really know to this day. But it's a great story.

*Arranging our breaks at work so we could go with as many of the "cool" group as possible. And letting the "Little General" satisfy us (that was the name of the snack machine, and somehow this phrase got created...).

*MARCUS!!! Ah, easily the best library story ever! This one is way too long and complicated, but basically, sometimes we found pictures left in library books. And one time we found an 8x10 of this guy left in one of the books, and on the back it said: Marcus 10th grade. And from then on, he became "Julie's man." I'm pretty sure she kept the picture...

Oh how we laughed tonight. It's so much fun to remember the days of yore with someone who was there with you. We were so crazy. We were so young. We were so carefree. For the most part, at least :). What a fun memory lane chat. It's so good to laugh about the past with someone who was there with you :).

Movie quote hint: A movie Julie and I saw in the theatre the same year all of those events above occurred. (And yes, Julie, you saw it with me ;)).

5 comments:

Kira =] said...

I love Nickelback, so this was one I knew as soon as I read. =]

Katherine Ronachert said...

notting hill

Anonymous said...

The movie quote is from Notting Hill. :) This is Christina by the way, I forgot my password to my blog.

wilkinson family said...

i really ended up liking this song.

juliebean said...

good post. I missed this one some how... Must have been while on vacation. I dont believe you. We did not see NOtting hill together. Sometimes I think you try to confuse me.... I would sooo remember that.