Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Panama List -- So Far

So those of you fortunate to know the levels of my neurosis will be fully aware (without having been told) that I have been studiously making my Panama List ever since the inklings of this Panama trip got started. And just so you know, excitement over the Panama trip is my new reason to lay in bed tossing and turning and not letting my mind rest enough to go to sleep quickly. Last night I was pondering going to Los Rios swimming pool, because my dad told me that it is still open. Anyway, I was telling my dad all about my list on the phone last night. He laughed and said, "You're really getting excited, aren't you?" I absolutely am. It's weird, because, I mean, I lived there once. There were a million things I could see at the drop of the hat on pretty much any occasion. And yet it never really occurred to me to do so when I had the chance. [Perhaps this is why I do crazy stuff now like taking pictures with golden peanuts and the Blues Brothers... And I would recommend that to everyone -- find out what is unique about where you are and make sure you do it. One day you will be glad you did. Trust me, I don't give a flying fig about football, but I recognize the fact that Bear Bryant's statue is like a huge deal here, so I have now taken like 3 different pictures with the dude.] Now that I will be going back as a tourist -- yikes! -- I see it differently. I have 2 weeks to hit all the things I want to see and do. So, in honor of Nilla lists in all their forms and fashions... here is my Panama list so far (with brief -- or not-so-brief -- explanations of anything that I think needs explaining).
  1. Casa de Helado -- should it be a surprise that the number one thing on my list involves food? Of course not. Anyway, this is the "Ice Cream House." And may I just say, I am hoping that this place still exists. They have the most delicious vanilla ice cream -- soft serve style. Oh my. The vanilla is like nothing you've ever tasted. Well, that's not exactly true. Mexican vanilla extract is different than what we use here in the U.S. And it is soooo good. And I think that's what is in their ice cream at Casa de Helado. The closest I've gotten to this flavor is one time when we had like an ice cream social at church in Dothan. One of the sisters made homemade vanilla ice cream and she had the Mexican vanilla. That's how I learned of its existence.
  2. Pizza Italia/Sorentos -- okay, we have to hit one of these pizza places. The pizzas are soooo good. It would be neat to go to Sorentos and see if that one waiter that always served us is still working there. But Sorentos was always hard to get to, as it is in the middle of the city. I wonder if my dad's memory will serve him. I hope so. Because I certainly don't know where to go! My dad keeps telling me he's going to make me drive in the city so I can see what the traffic is like. I told him that was fine -- I've conquered Atlanta. He laughed and said it was like comparing apples and oranges. We'll see about that :). So anyway, yeah. A pizza.
  3. Ft. San Lorenzo -- this is on the "Atlantic side," which is also known as the side we didn't live on. Anyway, these are old ruins and it is sooooo cool.
  4. All 3 sets of locks: Gatun, Pedro Miguel, and Miraflores. Just because. And this time it will occur to me to get a picture of myself in front of the locks. I'm such a dope. I did take pictures at each of the locks when we were moving, but it never occurred to me to put myself in the picture. And isn't it lovely that digital cameras now exist? What did we ever do without them? (I must confess that I once thought I would never own one, because I liked having my pictures the 'old fashioned' way... What can I say? I'm pretty much a late adopter, technologically speaking).
  5. Cross the Puente Centenario -- this is the new bridge across the canal. When I moved, there was only one bridge across the canal that was always open (and very congested with traffic). That was the Bridge of the Americas. Well, I guess they decided that they needed another route, so they built this new bridge. This is one thing I know I'll get to do, because when I mentioned it, my dad was like, "Oh yeah! I want to drive over that too!"
  6. Los Rios swimming pool -- what's to say about this?
  7. Los Rios Elementary School -- this was my elementary school. I want to walk all around the whole thing. I wonder if they'll (whoever owns it now) let me actually have access to the building? I'll just turn on the Nilla charm... Hey, it's not such a far-fetched idea if I am to believe that fortune from the fortune cookie back in February that informed me that I would get everything I want through my charm and personality. Hahahaha.
  8. Curundu Jr. High School -- see explanation above. If nothing else, I hope I can get close to the "cafetorium" and take a picture. IT was a huge dome-shaped building that looked like a planetarium. But it was our cafeteria/auditorium. How hilarious.
  9. Balboa High School -- really really really am hoping the Nilla charm works here and we can get inside and take pictures on the breezeway between the 6/7/800s and the 1/2/300 buildings...
  10. Panama Canal College -- which I understand is now the Panama branch of FSU (Go gators??? Kristin will KILL me if I got this wrong... I guess I could google it, but somehow it is much more hilarious this way, with me guessing). I never went to school there, of course. But if you are able to get onto the field outside, there is an awesome shot with the Bridge of the Americas looming behind you. And I mean looming. Also, this is where we used to have to go when Mom was taking college classes. I've told you the story before, and it is here if you want to read it again (or for the first time). (And aren't you glad I didn't just start telling it again?)
  11. Niko's Cafe -- Okay, this place was awesome. Brad made fun of me once, though. We went in to the one in El Dorado and ordered. Here I was, probably in Spanish 4 at the time, and speaking much better Spanish than Brad ever did. But I always felt self-conscious in speaking it. So, we get up to order, and Brad orders the "gyros con papas" (this is gyros with french fries) in a very Espanol-way (meaning he sounded authentic). Then it's my turn and I say, "One of those club-sandwich thingies" in a very gringa-way. Brad has never let me live that down. I wonder if he remembers it. Perhaps I'll call him and ask him tonight. Anyway, they have since built a Niko's right there at what used to be my high school. We'll definitely be hitting this place up.
  12. Don Lee -- this was the Chinese restaurant we went to every once in a while. My parents always got the vegetarian chow mein. And once I got old enough to realize how good that was, I started getting that too. When I mentioned this to my dad, he perked up. He said, "Yeah, man... I haven't had chow mein probably since you guys left Panama." See, for all the "hassle" I am, I am awesome. It pays to have a daughter that thinks of mundane details like vegetarian chow mein. Just FYI.
  13. Chinese Gardens -- this is mostly to buy Chinese plums. I wonder if I'll be able to get them through customs? Anyway, if I can, I'd be happy to bring some to anyone brave enough to try them. You'll have to give me a holler and let me know if you want some :).
  14. Cardenas -- this is the little town in which we used to live. This actually takes up three slots on my actual list, because I'm very detail-oriented, and I don't want to forget anything. So, naturally we want to go by our old house (of course, there is no hope of going IN, but at least to go see it). And speaking of mundane details: totally want a picture at the bus stop. Cool stuff. You'll understand when you see the picture. Also want to go to Clay Hill. This is where the neighborhood kids would play when it was really rainy and the clay/mud was sooo messy. It ruined your clothes, so you better have been wearing trashy clothes. Anyway, during dry season (which it will not be dry season in August), we would play all over clay hill and go into the jungle portion of it with all the saw grass. Cool stuff. Also, we have to go down to the dead end with the balance-beam type pole. Not to mention going into the big field behind our house and up to the big tree. Not to mention "island hopping" at the dead end and staying out of the orange muck. Ewww. Christina knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the island hopping. One day you will too, because I will have my dad take pictures (unless Christina does end up getting to go, in which case, she will be taking pictures).
  15. Find pan de huevo = egg bread. Oh my heavens..... That is some of the best bread EVER. I have found its equal nowhere. It has a particular smell and taste and it is sooo good. I don't think there's an exorbitant amount of eggs in it or anything like that... But they braid the dough and it looks like eggs. I think that's where it gets the name. I could, however, be wrong. But, according to my flawless memory ;), the bread does not taste "egg-y".
  16. Food food food... I thought of another... We need to find ojaldras (pronounced o-hall-drus). This is fried bread dough. It is delicious. And you can't laugh at this if you are a Southerner.... you guys fry twinkies. So there is nothing wrong with frying bread dough :)! (And I will admit that I am actually saddened that I never took the opportunity to experience the fried twinkie at the Peanut Festival when I had the chance... There's no telling if I'll ever have that opportunity again...).
  17. Stephen's Circle... If it is still there. Well, the circle is, but the reason for going might not be. See, this is where all the vendors with the local wares would do their selling. A tourist place, really. This is where you buy the molas and the tagua nut figurines and everything else you can imagine. Anyway, my dad said that they got moved out of there, but he knows where they are now (the vendors), so either way... I just need to go get the souvenirs that I never thought to get growing up.
  18. Goethals monument. I actually did take pictures there before we left. But I would like to go back and get a now picture.
  19. The Administration Building. Sadly, I don't think you're allowed to go inside anymore, unless you work there. Inside there were beautiful murals painted on the domed ceiling in one spot. Too bad I didn't realize that I'd regret not going in and taking pictures when I could back when I was 17... (Can you believe that was 10 years ago??).
  20. The Causeway -- this is a strip of land that goes wayyy out to some beaches and stuff near what used to be Ft. Amador. You can get awesome views of the Bridge of the Americas there. Also very pretty sunsets. We used to go there to catch hermit crabs. But that is a story for another time...
  21. Panama Viejo -- this is "Old Panama." It's awesome looking. Kind of like Ft. San Lorenzo, but not really. Very old tower building, though. Sadly, I never took pictures there when I was growing up. Particularly sad, because it wasn't for lack of opportunity, since I rode horses right behind it... What was I thinking to never get pictures of me at Panama Viejo? The answer: I wasn't thinking. You really do get wiser as you get older.
Of course, there are other things that need to be done. Have to go do the dual citizenship thing. Going to the Panama City Panama Temple dedication, of course. Dad has now decided he wants to go to the Boqueron (I always spell that differently each time I write it...). I'm not as wild about that... I can see us getting stuck on the mud road. My dad actually told me that he got stuck one time in the Pinto (he left the Pinto down there longer than he left the other cars). Four guys came and helped him get out. As I'm not a fan of such adventures, I would really rather put the kibosh in it. However, if Christina does get to go (and that's a big if at the moment), she has mentioned wanting to go to the river. Also, Dad has to go to Boquete to take care of his mother's land there... And if we're going to go all that way, then I say we might as well continue on up the volcano (it's name is El Baru) and see the sights there as well. Ugh... 7 hours in the car though. YUCK-o. So, this will be a fun-filled, exciting trip. Although, I've already been informed by Dad that he wants to enjoy his time there and not end each day with his tongue hanging out, gasping for air due to any whirlwind pace of mine... Who, me ;)??? Seriously, though, I do want to take a chance to enjoy each experience. And I might just have to face the fact that I won't get to my whole list... And so those things will go on my future list. Perhaps I'll go back to Panama on my some-day honeymoon... Right?

So, can you tell I'm totally psyched about this trip? Like, totally dude. It's radical.

Also, Elka and Stacy have guessed the movie quote correctly!

3 comments:

Nilla said...

Yep, see... Thought of more things to add... 24 Hours (it's a mini-grocery store) and have to eat platanitos (fried platano). I'm ready to go!!!! I seriously cannot wait!

Katherine Ronachert said...

how fun! and i still agree whole heartedly, freakish memory! ;)
i hope christina will be able to go as well. the memories will be so much better, because she'll remember things you might (yeah, right) forget and vise versa

Kristin said...

You are so in for it. I can't believe you said Gators. We are gator haters. They are the SEMINOLES. Florida State Florida State Florida State.....wHoooo! Sorry this took me so long. I have just checked my email in like 2 weeks. I have been bogged down. I can finally see the white on my desk. I was only gone for 5 days.Man.