Monday, May 5, 2008

Free Lunch!

So, a while back I was one of the staff people involved in helping with a CD-ROM retrospective project. Basically the libraries decided they wanted to interfile the CD-ROMs with the books on the shelves. So, they had to be put into special less-damagable cases. Enter Hila... It was a wildly fun project (this is dripping with sarcasm). Anyway, one good thing that came of it was a free lunch ticket for use at the student center with all the food. I had a genius idea a few weeks back to use it on something that would last 2 meals, lunch and dinner (please note the terms I used here ;)). That's because I was in class on Thursday nights, so I was literally here for all 3 meals of my day. I figured it was a great way of spreading that free lunch value. So, I got a Blimpie sub sandwich and figured I'd eat half for lunch and half for dinner. Well, I got to the register and the woman informed me that you could only use that card on the "Home Zone" or the home-cooking type stuff provided by the University. Which I had considered, but they didn't have mac and cheese that day. So I went with the sandwich idea. And ended up having to pay cash for the whole thing. I was less-than-happy about it. But what do you do? I guess I could have said, "Okay, here's the sandwich then, nevermind..." And they would have thrown it away, right? How wasteful. So, anyway, I ended up paying for my food that day. The up-side of that being that I had the free food card for a later date. And though I brought my lunch today (leftover tater tot casserole for the 4th day in a row -- and I'm a bit tired of it now), I knew Monday was a mac and cheese day. And it turns out today was also buttermilk fried chicken day. Yum. So, I will save my leftovers for tomorrow, and today I will enjoy a nice warm down-home meal of fried chicken and mac and cheese. And a roll. I could have gone the smart route and gotten some vegetables as my 2nd side. But I didn't. Anyone want to take a wild guess what I got for my 2nd side? Well, if you guessed a 2nd helping of mac and cheese, you'd be correct. It really is fabulous stuff. And that is so very Hila of me :). And since they gave me a breast and a wing, I will be giving the wing to Annie, since I don't like the wing. I will eat the drummette part of the wing if it comes alone. It looks like a drumstick, so it seems more natural. I don't know why, but the wing kind of freaks me out. Ick. I used to pay the extra at the all-you-can-eat wings place so that they would only bring me the drummettes. Either that or I'd give all my wing tip pieces to Heath and steal some of his drummettes. But his were always spicier than mine, so that resulted in mouth-burn.

I am so random.

Anyway, so, other than watching 2 movies with Virginia on Friday and enjoying our healthy-ish meal (probably the tater tot casserole wasn't exactly healthy, but it's unhealthiness was off-set by the roasted veggies) and our heaps of ice cream. And then sleeping in until 9:30 Saturday. And then lounging around in pajamas all day until it was time to take a shower and then, believe it or not, come to the library to work some overtime hours (I only worked 4 -- and they were a lot more work than I thought they would be!). And then going to church on Sunday, followed by an unnecessary, but impossible-to-avoid Sunday nap. And then going to the CES Fireside. And then going driving around with Stefanie to keep her company while she delivered some things to friends -- yeah, other than all of that, I didn't really do much this weekend :). I should have written my 6 page paper on blogging in libraries. I did, at least, get 2 pages written. I'd say that's something.

Oh! And, my dad has decided he wants to fly out of Dothan to avoid the hassle of Atlanta traffic. It probably works out close the the same price-wise, and it is a whole lot less hassle. Anyway, things are starting to come together on the trip. I'm ecstatic.

4 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i always enjoy a good free meal!
also, i thought i'd let you know, i'm leaving for seattle tomorrow morning. bought the ticket yesterday. it just seemed important to go see granpa. it is a SURPRISE though. anyway...

Virginia said...

Believe it or not, I made some mac & cheese today. I used Velveeta and I was not impressed. Maybe someday soon I'll make some of the real stuff from scratch!

juliebean said...

I am so excited about your panama trip. I know you are too. I am heading back to the doc tomorrow, running a high fever, sigh....

brookeisacrazylady said...

Hello Hila! I found your blog! You are so cute. Hope all is well.

Brooke formerly Evans :)