Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Shows That Rocked My Childhood

So, I have always loved watching TV. I don't currently have TV. It's probably a good thing. But sometimes it's nice to zone out in front of the television and not think. So, in honor of my love of television, and of course in honor of my love of all things 80s (and also because I can't think of anything interesting), I guess I will do a top five of the TV shows that rocked my childhood :). Most (if not all) of them were pretty darn good wholesome shows since they actually tried to not put trash on the regular TV stations back when I was growing up... Oh, and I'm embedding the clips from youtube so you don't even have to click the link :). Mostly because it's just cool!

1. Just the Ten of Us

So I really liked this show. I was probably more of a "Marie" but I really wanted to be a "Cindy" or "Wendy." Huh... How about that... Turns out I was a Marie after all -- in some respects :). Anyway, I really liked this show (obviously, since I've said that twice now). They used to show it in the mornings during the week in the mid-1990s. These were re-runs, of course. But I remember watching it in the mornings during the summer. Also, this show was a spin-off of another of my favorite shows growing up:

2. Growing Pains

I still love this show!!! I would have to say it's one of my all-time favorites. They used to show this on ABC Family at 9 p.m. even just a few years ago. I watched it every chance I got. I also watched it during my lunch hour back when I was the Ashford Branch Librarian. It was such a lovely show. I don't know if I have a favorite episode... I know that one of them that I didn't like was the one when Carol's boyfriend dies. Ugh.... Too much reality. Oh, and you know Mike (aka Kirk Cameron) was just a hottie. What girl of the 80s didn't think so? Oh, and I was totally put-out when TBS replaced this show with "Family Matters" in the afternoons. I so don't like Steve Urkle (or however it's spelled). After much pondering, I've decided it's spelled "Irkle" since he IRKS the snot out of me. How's that for reasoning :).

3. Who's the Boss?

Okay, so now I can take or leave this show.... If it's the only thing on, I'll watch it. But if there's something better, I won't. But I remember watching it a lot growing up. Although I suppose this was the propaganda for a house-husband. Hahahaha. Women power! Go put on your big shoulder-padded suit and enter the work force! And weren't we all just waiting for Tony and Angela to get together from the very beginning?

4. Charles in Charge

Classic. And how about how the whole family he was in charge of changed out after season 1? I put up the video of the family I remember watching. I didn't see the first season. But isn't it rather strange that the whole family was replaced? Also, I liked Buddy Lembeck. Not as in I thought he was cute. Those thoughts were reserved for Charles (aka Scott Baio). But Buddy was funny. I remember one episode that particularly made me and Brad laugh was when Charles told Buddy, "I live in the Central zone, you live in the twilight zone" (insert canned laughter -- as well as laughter from me and Brad).

5. Saved By the Bell

Okay, so maybe this was actually from the early 90s. But still part of my childhood. I loved this show. Loved it. The first time we saw it was actually a fluke. It must have been summer vacation, and we had to take Ben somewhere or something that morning. Well, we were going to miss some really great early morning cartoon, and as children, we were broken-hearted. So, super-Mom set the Betamax to record. Yep, I said the Betamax. Because, see, they didn't come with timers. So you pressed record on your way out the door and prayed it wouldn't run out of tape before your desired show was on. Well, when we got home, it had also taped the first half of this show. It was the episode when they were really young and the teacher hurt her back and so they skate-boarded her in her bent over position to the office. Oh the shenanigans of this bunch of students. Did anyone else find it odd that they somehow all managed to magically be in the same class every class every year of school? Man, I wish I'd had those odds! They should play the lottery! Oh, and Saved by the Bell: the new class was totally lame. As were the College Years. I guess the magic died after high school. Classic episodes I'll never forget: Slater's lizard's funeral (the lizard's name was Arty); the time-capsule future one; and the one with the glee club where they totally sucked at first, but by the end, they sounded more awesome than even NKOTB. Okay, so that's a stretch. But you know what I mean. Also, they were not very consistent. In one episode, Kelly would totally stink at singing. And then the next thing you'd know, she'd be singing in a band in perfect harmony. But, I loved the show anyway. What can I say... I'm a regular TV-show connoisseur.

Bonus: The Facts of Life

This needs no explanation. I liked Jo... she was pretty to me, and she was smart and didn't take any junk from anyone. And yeah... So, you do take the good and take the bad -- and those are the facts of life.

Okay, so I was going to do more... But I am running out of steam. Those are the main ones I remember anyways :).

Also, never let it be forgotten that I did not lose my registro civil paper (the document I need to be able to obtain my dual citizenship when I go to Panama). Let it be known that Dad had it with him, even though he was adamant that he'd given it to me and that I'd lost it like he told me not to. Hahaha.... I know I'll never forget (and I won't let him live it down either :))!

2 comments:

Heath Hopkins said...

Growing Pains and Saved by the Bell rock. They still play Saved by the Bell early in the morning. I used to watch it at the gym.

Jennette said...

I remember Just the 10 of us! They had that on Friday nights before it was called "TGIF". Loved Growing Pains! I did go through an Urkel phase when I was younger and had a poster of him in my room. I hope you don't lose any respect for me. I've been long over that and really didn't see the last few seasons of Family Matters. One 80's show I would have put on my top 5 list is "Perfect Strangers". I loved Balki and the "Dance of Joy" they did.