Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Hilaween!!

Oh my what a busy week! I have spent every day helping Christina pack and clean and move. And I'm so sore! I have been doing a lot of heavy lifting. Thankfully I have a strong brother (named Bradymus) with a truck who also was there. Tomorrow is the final day, and we have to have everything done by noon. Phew! All that's left is a little bit more cleaning. I think moving is like having a baby (from what I understand). You forget how awful it is until you're doing it again. Because I seriously forget every time. And, for the record, I turn into a monster when I'm under stress and under a time crunch. Isn't that terrible?!? Ugh, I know I'm awful. I become the drill seargant my dad accuses me of being. On the plus side, the job get done :).

Although, you do get a lot of battle scars. Check out this one, which I got while pinching my arm in the door of my car repeatedly while trying to shut the door with my arms full of stuff:
Battle wounds

Oh! And here's a story for you. Some days I wonder what the heck I'm doing in Washington, because there are a lot of crazies here. Take last night for example. All of us working our patoots off trying to get Christina and Nick moved kept us without dinner. So, on one run, I rode with Brad and we stopped by Pizza Hut to pick up a few pizzas for all of us to eat as we worked. So while Brad and I were sitting there waiting for our pizzas, Brad gets up to use the restroom because his contact was bothering him. Meanwhile, some guy comes in and orders pizza. The girl asks for his number. He makes this huge ordeal about the whole thing, saying everybody wants his number (which I doubt, he wasn't a great catch or anything) and that she doesn't need to get it and that if she wants to sell him a pizza, she'd better figure out how to do it without his number, because she doesn't need it. Good grief! So, in the end, she just said he was dining in and told him she'd put in a box. What a psycho. I hate to tell him, but I'm pretty sure if anyone wanted info on him bad enough, they could get it, whether he gives out his number to pizza hut or not. Anyway, so while this is occurring, a couple in their 50s or so is getting up to leave. The woman stops in front of me (remember, Brad is in the bathroom) and says, "Does your mother know you're out in practically bare feet and no sweater?!?" Ummmm.... "I'll be 28 tomorrow." Is what I was thinking. Also I was thinking, "I can't believe you just stopped and said that to a complete stranger." But, I smiled and politely said, "Oh, she probably assumes it. We pretty much grew up like this. See, my brother looks the same way." And I pointed at Brad, who was walking my way in flip flops and short sleeves. Weirdos. Besides, we weren't even the slight bit cold, what with all the moving we'd been doing! Plus, I think my body is acclimating well. It's been pretty chilly in the evenings and mornings here, so it was probably in the 50s last night when we were berated for our poor clothing choice, but I didn't notice the cold. Anyway, lots of weirdos. Hahahaha... A story for me and Brad to look back on in 10 years and laugh. More than we did already ;).

Today was my 28th birthday. Julie tried to convince me it was my 30th or 31st. I think not. 28. I'm stopping there, in case anyone is interested. Anyway, I made my list of things I had to take with me this morning, because I knew it would be a hectic day. Thank goodness for lists! I'd be lost without them :). I left the house about 9:30, much later than I had hoped to, but it was for a good cause. (Although sleep is a good cause, it was not the reason in this instance ;0)). Anyway, I picked Christina up at the new apartment (thank goodness we moved all the big stuff last night, since it was a rainy day today!). We headed over to the old apartment to get the smaller things I could fit in my car. And then Mom got there, though she has come down with a mild cold, so poor Mom, she's tired. Anyway, we all went to the new apartment once we'd loaded up the cars, so Mom got to see the new apartment. I really like it. It's cozy. I wanted to stay on the couch and never leave. But, that could be because I was tired with a capital T. But, I was on a time crunch (and starting to stress at this point). The food still had to be made! Ugh! I still had to buy some of the ingredients!!! Double-ugh! So, we all head back to Christina's and I help load Mom's car one more time. Pretty much everything but the cleaning supplies was moved. So yay! But, I left and went to Wal-Mart. Okay, so I have a new rule: If you are a Wal-Mart, but aren't a Super Wal-Mart, you shouldn't exist at all. Why? Because. I have spent 10 years learning that Wal-Mart is a one-stop shopping place. And I needed leggings for my costume, so I had to go to a place with more than groceries. Well, the Wal-Mart here isn't a Super. So, they didn't have pizza dough, olives, pizza sauce, produce, and several other things you'd think they would have. I was annoyed. Mostly because I was in a hurry. You can ask Julie. She called me when I was wandering around Safeway (grocery store) like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find the stuff I couldn't find at Wal-Mart. Also, neither store had food coloring. At least not as far as I could see. Question: what kind of grocery store doesn't have food coloring? Answer: the same kind that doesn't have Little Debbie's ;)!!! (That was for Julie :)). Good thing Tarylyn had some! Anyway, so I talked to Julie (who called for my birthday!) until my phone died. Then I headed to Brad's. And got busy helping them clean and cook! So, here are the yummies!!! We had a fabulous menu, though you need to know we did do a lot of learning for how to do things better (and more in advance) next year! So, start here with the decorations (the kids did a great job, didn't they?) and then take a look at the yummy food!
The decorations!

The whole family was present. Well, the whole family in Washington, of course. It was wonderful fun! And we took lots of pictures!!! Here's the break-down of costumes:
Grandma and Grandpa didn't come dressed up, but they both wore their brightly-colored vests, which were great! Mom came in her pajamas. Including slippers. Sean had vampire teeth and a sword, but beyond that, I don't know if he was anyone in particular. Tony was a 70s disco guy. Royce was a commando. I was an 80s chick (check out the leggings, the jean jacket and the jean skirt! I am pretty sure that skirt is mis-sized, because it says it's a size 10, and I have NEVER been that size, but hey... if it's going to be mis-sized, better that it say smaller than bigger! -- I got the jacket and skirt at the thrift store!) Brad was Indiana Jones, Saria was Tinkerbell, Samuel was also Indiana Jones, and Benjamin was a penguin. (Dad, Christina has a picture of both Indiana's... I'll send it to you when I get it from her). Christina was a witch (she used a costume I bought for a party in Dothan 2 years ago), and Desiree was Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). Anyway, this was tons of fun!!! Christina looked way cute in the witch's costume with her little pregnant tummy. She was self-conscious about it, and didn't want her picture taken, but I insisted. Like the good sister I am ;). Also, Christina supplied my lovely blue eyeshadow (that's right, I went all the way) and she did my hair as "big hair" as we could get it. Which wasn't very big. But, i didn't have mousse our gel, so we worked with what we had. Oh, and of course we can't forget the jelly shoes ;). Thanks again, Elka! Obviously you see I've been putting them to good use ;).

So, here are the pictures of the people!
My 80s look

And after everyone had left, I stayed to help clean up a little (Christina and Desiree too, since I was their ride), and I also opened my gifts:
Movie from Juliebean!

Thank you Donna, for the card! Thank you Juliebean, for the movie (it's our next chick-flick to watch... and Virginia, here's my chick-flick suggestion for you!). I've been wanting this movie! And also, thank you for the friendship quote book ;). I feel the same way. Like I said... you are family to me! (Which is why you should be here in Washington ;)...). And, I also got a nice e-card from April and Courtney! Thanks guys!

Anyway, so 28 is going to be a great year. Just so you know ;). Ten years ago, I was celebrating my 18th birthday in a new place (Dothan). It's the same this year. And the ten years I spent in Alabama were great ones, in spite of trials. So, just imagine the great things that await me in this new place! Yee-haw!

Oh, and ps... For all reunion-ers out there reading this!!! T-shirts are in!!!! They look great!

Oh, and pps... It is now 11:42. So, officially I am 28. I was born only 18 minutes before midnight on October 30. So I wouldn't be a witch ;).

8 comments:

juliebean said...

You look totally rockin in that jean outfit. That was a great post. Ok, that lady at pizza hut was hilarious. What are people thinking? Strangers say something to me and alysha all the time. I'm thinking, "hey, you don't know me, mind your business." But, like you, I smile and say something nice to their stupidity. (people just cannot figure out if we are sista's or mommmy/daughter.)

Katherine Ronachert said...

happy hilaween!!!

Mitchell4 said...

Man we are getting old aren't we?
The old lady would have definetly said something to me cuz I wore capris and flip flops last night. You look gorgeous. Happy Belated Birthday. We love you!

Jeni said...

You should do blue eyeshadow more often..serious! And happy birthday a few days late. I can't believe it's already been a year since you were sitting at my kitchen table eating dinner with us for your birthday. My, how time flies. Ethan misses you in nursery. And I miss you period.

Stefanie said...

Haha-I love your life! Happy Belated Birthday - and hon, have you lost weight? Oh, and I have no idea what you're talking about with being monsterish on a time crunch. You were nothing but goodness to me while we were moving out! I love you and good luck with your new calling!

the happy thomas family said...

happy late birthday to you!

Katherine Ronachert said...

so much for primary pianist!
hee hee!
you'll be great!

the happy thomas family said...

good luck in your new calling... you will be wonderful. and yes... yikes. but, not worries. we know our heavenly father doesn't give us anything that we can't handle. my calling is going so much better... things have worked out so well. they always do. remember that. love you.