Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tent Cities and Freebies!

So, on Saturday, during the afternoon session of Conference, the kids were starting to get really rowdy. So, Tarylyn and I worked on calming them by building them a tent/fort in the house the way we used to. Alas, I did not have my cohorts with me (ie Brad and Christina), so it wasn't the best of tents. Plus it's been many many years since I've built one of these suckers. Hopefully the next attempt will be even more radical. But the kids loved it! Of course, this meant that Tarylyn and I only heard bits and pieces of Conference. But we had fun. In fact, I think I was a little more excited than the kids about building the fort. It really makes you use your brain and be creative, because you have to figure out how to attach the blankets. We used clothes pins, just as we always did when we were kids. This was Tarylyn's first time building a fort that way. I look forward to our next tent in which I've had more recent practice and perhaps new ideas :). (So Dad, the sheets we brought up have been going to great use as ceilings ;)).
Aunt Hila building the tent

The family meeting went really well, I think. So many great ideas! And so many resources as we pull together as a family. We women have decided to plan a day of canning each month. Even if there aren't any fruits in season that we can either pick for free or buy cheap, we can can stuff such as spaghetti sauce and soups with a pressure canner. Michele has one of those. Michele also told us some of the things you can use dried beans for, other than just boiling and eating! There's some cool stuff you can do with them! Including using them in cakes! How wild is that! Such great info! We had tons of fun laughing. I think we accomplished quite a bit. And I think we all have a way to contribute to the family as a whole. I'm excited we can pull together and do this together. I think we will grow closer as we do. Of course, lame-o me, I didn't remember to take any pictures while we were meeting and eating. So, the only picture I have of that night is of Samuel, Saria, and Desiree. Samuel and Desiree have recently gotten new haircuts, so they wanted to show them off.
After the meeting.  Samuel and Desiree are sporting their new haircuts

But don't worry... We're having a Halloween party at the end of the month (only we're going to call it a Hilaween party, since we'll celebrate my birthday as well. And before you call me conceited (Brad), it was Mom's idea!). Anyway, it will give the kids a chance to wear their costumes an extra day. And we're coming up with gooey, gross Halloween finger food ideas. We've found some real doozies!!! So, I promise there will be tons of pictures from that. Including food pictures. Because you know me :).

And finally... Freebies are the coolest! So, my mom works as an office manager in a funeral home. I don't know the whys of it, but they aren't allowed to sell things they've purchased once they don't want them anymore. So, staff there can ask for them, and whoever asks first gets it. Well, they were getting rid of a curio cabinet. I've always always wanted a curio cabinet!!! I collected little ceramics for years. I have them packed in boxes (which they have been packed in since 2003... how sad is that? My life has always just been too temporary to unpack them!). Though I've always had shelves we attached to the wall to put them on display, since becoming an adult, I've always wanted a curio cabinet for that (helps them get less dusty, I would think ;)). So, my mom asked for it, and we got it!!! For free! And it's like brand new! No scuffs or anything I could see. So, now it is stored with all my other earthly belongings, in the garage. Notice the piano behind it. One of these days, these things will be in a living room :).
My new (and free!) curio cabinet!

Oh, and I have such wonderful friends! I have talked to so many of them this past week! Virginia, Tammy, Stacy, Juliebean, April, and Stefanie. It has been a great week so far :).

3 comments:

Heather said...

Nice curio cabinet! Free makes it even better.

Anonymous said...

awesome find! go aunt d!
krm

the happy thomas family said...

yes... free is a good thing.